Just now, Gilbert said:

Get bidding Rob.....

Not yet. Need to lie low for a while..........:blush:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

Not yet. Need to lie low for a while..........:blush:

I sympathise with that. I had a parcel from Rails yesterday and I have no idea what it is. It is coach shaped but I haven't ordered any coaches from them. It is in 3-day quarantine so I can't open it to find out. I had told Mrs Mick that it's a coach ordered and paid for many months ago, but I've now had to admit that it's not. We're waiting for Friday morning . . . . . . . .

• Like 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I sympathise with that. I had a parcel from Rails yesterday and I have no idea what it is. It is coach shaped but I haven't ordered any coaches from them. It is in 3-day quarantine so I can't open it to find out. I had told Mrs Mick that it's a coach ordered and paid for many months ago, but I've now had to admit that it's not. We're waiting for Friday morning . . . . . . . .

It matters not if you try to explain that it was a 'bargain'....or a 'limited edition'.

I've had a few deliveries as of late and in the interests of self-preservation, need to ease off a tad......

As an aside, I am also looking forward to Friday morning.....

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

They're a nice model, Rob. Its possible of course that they will reappear under the EFE branding as per the Hymek.......in fact  you can bet that as soon as I acquire one from Ebay having paid over the odds, they will do just that.......'tis the way....

Rob

But you'll be ok, cos the EFE price will be about £30 -  £50 above the Heljan price. At least thats what

they did with the Hymek.

TONY

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

It matters not if you try to explain that it was a 'bargain'....or a 'limited edition'.

I've had a few deliveries as of late and in the interests of self-preservation, need to ease off a tad......

As an aside, I am also looking forward to Friday morning.....

I can usually get away with having paid X hundred for a few boxes of rusty junk because she knows that I will fix it all up and (usually) sell it.

When it comes to spending money on trains I have to be a little more careful, but often get around it by buying RRH the kind of shiny, pretty things that she likes (see my previous post)

To be absolutely honest, I have been sorting through all of my accumulated junk and selling off quite a bit lately with a kind of make hay while the sun shines attitude and doing way more selling than buying. 

It has been noticed too. ;)

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I used to work with a chap who used to get boat bits delivered to the office so his wife didn't know what he was buying. Then there was the shop in Plymouth that offered a choice of receipts: one bearing the shop logo,  the other rather more anonymous.

Alex

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

4 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

So, if we don't from you after Friday then we know it didn't go well......:help:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Evening all. 

I have to say the thread is quite lively at the moment. 

Thanks to all. 

More from the files of Alan Snowdon. 

• Like 10

On 09/02/2021 at 08:19, NHY 581 said:

Morning Will. 

Thank you for your kind words. 

Both proposed layouts will utilise my now standard LACK tabletops from IKEA's model railway baseboard department. This will come from the larger of the two tables in this set for the scenic section. 120cm x 40cm x 5cm. 

31ryhzrphWL._AC_.jpg.48fa66da30aa1668816d6a7de64d5841.jpg

The fiddle yard will use a top from a LACK tv stand.   90cm x 26cm x 5cm. 

31dR0T8WmkL._AC_SY1000_.jpg.0f7207f2a977cff49170a63a2285d7ca.jpg

Combined cost, £34.00. 

The scenic sections will be boxed in using 9mm MDF braced soft wood to add rigidity. 

There will be a separate 'roof' from 9mm MDF to form a fascia and contain the light. All as per usual. 

Outwool will be based on Outwell basin, the original terminus of the W&U. Very basic. 

This is the plan from Wild Swan. In reality it might end up in mirror image with the long siding at the baseboard edge. w3.jpg.56ae6545f60ad4cf4cf0110a1827f031.jpg

The trackbed will not continue to the right and will stop roughly level with the goods office on the right.  

The entrance/exit to the fiddly yard, as discussed earlier, will be masked by this..20210124_104003-01.jpeg.802f73f8d787de901e2d07b6bde77138.jpeg

20210124_134035-01.jpeg.fe53931d4aae058857d542f698cf7597.jpeg

Main goods office (location TBC)20210206_190617-01.jpeg.dcdcf02ec66df3cfb95292feaf8a3e8d.jpeg

And small hut (location TBC)

20210203_220133-01.jpeg.7f11e4bce62cfd0afb5044165e3c29ce.jpeg

In addition, there will be a grounded coach body somewhere and possibly a timber loading platform. 

As you can tell, a bit vague. Things tend to evolve when I have the baseboard, points and buildings. I tend to move things about until I'm happy. 

That's why I don't mind pottering with the buildings etc at present. Hence the initial build is normally quite quick. 

With regard to Lambton, the ex GER passenger terminus, I've always thought I could fit a workable branch line terminus onto my usual 4ft x 16inch baseboard. Chris Nevard did it using handbuilt points. I will use my usual PECO code 75. Here's a link ot two for Chris's Flicker feed thingy. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nevardmedia/29319891847/in/album-72157700267949154/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nevardmedia/42448002880/in/album-72157700267949154/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nevardmedia/44207034222/in/album-72157700267949154/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nevardmedia/44207025962/in/album-72157700267949154/

Now this was my original idea for an ex-LB&SCR terminus in September 2019. Resurrecting this idea and moving things East should prove satisfactory. I envisage a similar track plan to this but I like the idea of a bay. The second photo below shows a a small goods shed. I will be leaving this area open to allow for a clear view of the platform etc. 20190928_154610-01.jpeg.9221b015b3b81bdc8f3b2c167171f656.jpeg.jpg.ecfe025ff06be7fe380dc5520824f0db.jpg

20190928_205401-01-01.jpeg.f843899d87e117f83f6537b53edf3d28.jpeg.jpg.c5ccfa30288a652929417f5218cde84c.jpg

As per previous posts, the station building will be this. 20210208_195155-01.jpeg.e929574625bc7f63a7f0e66fa799ab6c.jpeg

The signal box will be this20210203_223818-01.jpeg.0fe6c2fbef4358bf05b548caf0c0aea4.jpeg

The engine shed will be one of these.

IMG_8000may16.jpg.79a4ed8644dab4c3c1fc1f30748ac786.jpg

(Photo by Rails of Sheffield) 

In addition, there will be a grounded coach body and probably a grounded  van to act as a goods shed somewhere and maybe a further small timber building or two. 

Timescale? Outwool hopefully starting in a month or so. Lambton more October, November ish but like Outwool, I will work on buildings etc in the meantime. 

And there, in a nutshell is my year.  My apologies for the long reply but it just grew.  

Rob. 

Thanks for the extended update Rob, inspirational as always. 

Keep up the good work.

Will

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, LBSC123 said:

Thanks for the extended update Rob, inspirational as always. 

Keep up the good work.

Will

Thanks Will. 

Rob. 

• RMweb Gold

Morning Rob. 

I agree. The Hayling Island branch is a lovely line. I did think about a small through station inspired by Langstone but discounted it as it would have been too similar to Mutton. 

However the thought of a BLT for the Terriers did get me thinking and I think led me to the current plans for a Great Eastern BLT.

I think the mixing of decades is not too much of an issue, especially with a branch line if the station is kept in the 'big four' colours. It took time to repaint and change the signage over. 

Rob. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I was debating between Hayling and Lyme for my new layout - went for the latter as there's a couple of models of Hayling around already, and the station building there was much more complicated than that at Lyme, and my scratchbuilding skills probably aren't up to it!

Many small rural stations never got repainted into BR colours and were still in their 'big four' paint at closure. Signage often didn't change either.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I can usually get away with having paid X hundred for a few boxes of rusty junk because she knows that I will fix it all up and (usually) sell it.

When it comes to spending money on trains I have to be a little more careful, but often get around it by buying RRH the kind of shiny, pretty things that she likes (see my previous post)

To be absolutely honest, I have been sorting through all of my accumulated junk and selling off quite a bit lately with a kind of make hay while the sun shines attitude and doing way more selling than buying. 

It has been noticed too. ;)

Sometimes when it gets noticed it gets annexed  for things like “nice new curtains”

• Funny 1

15 hours ago, MrWolf said:

If layout space were unlimited (and time, funds etc) I would love to have a go at modelling the Hayling island branch. I would want to try and run it as two separate eras, 1920s and 1950s.. Probably not practical!

Living only ten miles or so from the former Hayling branch, I have long  considered the practicallity of doing something based on Hayling - but it always comes down to doing the thing justice in a smallish space. The recent appearance of  the upgraded terriers though has made me look at it again, and, taking inspiration form  the superb Farthing layouts, and how to 'eat and elephant', it occurs to me that the bay at Havant would certainly lend itself to something that might fit into the average garden shed - it could be viewed either from the north, looking across the platform and with the warehouse in the background, or from the south with a representation of the platform with perhaps a 2-BIL beyond that as as backscene. Must find an old envelope to do some drawings on the back of....

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Asterix2012 said:

Sometimes when it gets noticed it gets annexed  for things like “nice new curtains”

Rather reminds me of the first wife who would announce "We need...!" (Some item that I never heard of let alone knew that we needed) which usually translated to "My brother / friend / workmate has just lashed out on...... and so I now have to have one".

It's a part of why I cleared off to work abroad.

The memsahib nowadays is pretty clever at making something out of nothing prefers antique / vintage furniture and so far hasn't shown any of those keeping up with the Joneses tendencies. Long may she remain!

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

The memsahib nowadays is pretty clever at making something out of nothing prefers antique / vintage furniture and so far hasn't shown any of those keeping up with the Joneses tendencies. Long may she remain!

I too am lucky enough to have a Memsahib so inclined and one who allows me spend so much time on this fine hobby of ours. 

• Friendly/supportive 5

25 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Mrs. Mick will be watching me open a parcel tomorrow.

At the risk of prolonging this my ex used to order parcels for me too, I always got excited until I unwrapped them. Another road map and a ticket to nowhere plus a round of sandwiches ! :D

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

It has been noted that due to a few (!) new book arrivals, there appears to be a requirement to reorganise my side of the book shelves ( so I'm reliably informed )

I have to concede this point as I have a need to create a 'Great Eastern' section........This is both due to recent acquisitions and a few titles I have my beady eye on. 

As stated prior, I need to lie low for a bit....

Rob. 

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Mr Wolf could I enquire as whether she has a sister, older or younger I do not mind, just so long as she is as good looking as your 'squeeze' and has the same attitude.

It's just I have been searching for such a female for most of my life and so far have not had any success. I am prepared to throw in a 'finders fee' of your own selection - just so long as it is no more than £10, if that would help.

That's a tricky one, her sister is unfortunately spoken for. I do consider myself most fortunate to have someone in my life who is on the same wavelength. 

I could tell you all some real horror stories about past relationships, but we'd all need to be drinking beer round a bonfire at three in the morning. :D

• Like 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Could we clone her? It is my understanding that great strides have been made in recent years in this field and with the combined knowledge available on the RM forum I feel sure we would be successful.

There'd certainly be an opinion on it....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Could we clone her?

I take it that you haven't watched too many horror films? 

Be careful what you wish for, the grass is always greener, there's always a catch and a thousand other cautionary statements. There are one or two bats in her belfry that you may not be able to cope with. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1