Looking at pictures this weekend, W&U track work in use seems to have been fairly well tended even towards the end of the lines use. In the 60s track and sidings not used frequently did become overgrown, in the 50s track seems to have been pretty tidy. I've used Dr Allen's photos and the Oakwood press book, other photos may show something different? Grass around the track work does seem to have been allowed to grow in later years, just not on permanent way in use.

Other areas were more overgrown e.g. White Swan yard in Great Yarmouth.

Martyn

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

16 minutes ago, mullie said:

Looking at pictures this weekend, W&U track work in use seems to have been fairly well tended even towards the end of the lines use. In the 60s track and sidings not used frequently did become overgrown, in the 50s track seems to have been pretty tidy. I've used Dr Allen's photos and the Oakwood press book, other photos may show something different? Grass around the track work does seem to have been allowed to grow in later years, just not on permanent way in use.

Other areas were more overgrown e.g. White Swan yard in Great Yarmouth.

Martyn

Hi Martyn. 

I shall give the trackwork further  thought. Sleeper wise, I'll treat the same as Sheep Dip and perhaps be a tad more conservative on the weedy stuff. One thing I am puzzling over is that of the colour of the ballast. 

Any ideas? 

Rob

• Like 1

With Upwell Drove, I've tried to show a distinction between track in the yard (slightly overgrown round the points, less grassy elsewhere), the plain track of the tramway (relatively well maintained) and inset track in the road (they used a special type of rail for this, tnere's a drawing in the Wil Swan book I think). My  model depicts the tramway towards the end of its life, when standards of maintenance were lower.

Alex

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

With Upwell Drove, I've tried to show a distinction between track in the yard (slightly overgrown round the points, less grassy elsewhere), the plain track of the tramway (relatively well maintained) and inset track in the road (they used a special type of rail for this, tnere's a drawing in the Wil Swan book I think). My  model depicts the tramway towards the end of its life, when standards of maintenance were lower.

Alex

Morning Alex. 

I see Outwool as  bit of a side shoot which perhaps is not as well patronised as the main route to Upwool.  With that in mind, I could probably get away with a gentle air of neglect about the place. 

I have been considering a revision to the name as well.  There was a proposal for a branch to Welney.  This could easily become Woolney. 

Much as I do like the sound of Outwool, its something to think about....

Rob. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I have been considering a revision to the name as well.  There was a proposal for a branch to Welney.  This could easily become Woolney. 

Much as I do like the sound of Outwool, its something to think about....

Rob. 

Excellent idea Rob...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks both. 

I have just been perusing Mr Google's maps. 

The real Welney even has a pub called the Lamb and Flag. Seems like a done deal to me. 

Ian Futers proposed such a layout in the Railway Modeller for October 2015. He even used the trackplan for Outwool Basin. 

It would appear to be coming together. 

Rob. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• NHY 581 changed the title to The Sheep Chronicles : Chapter 5: Woolney. A pastoral corner of the Wisbleat and Upwool.......The Sheep goes East. These are the continuing adventures of Norman Lockhart, connoisseur of traditional British breakfasts and well filled baps.
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Thanks both. 

I have just been perusing Mr Google's maps. 

The real Welney even has a pub called the Lamb and Flag. Seems like a done deal to me. 

Ian Futers proposed such a layout in the Railway Modeller for October 2015. He even used the trackplan for Outwool Basin. 

It would appear to be coming together. 

Rob. 

Would that be pronounced Woolnee or Woolnye I wonder?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I couldn't track that one down Rob - is that the right month?

Chris

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Rob. 

Ahem.

My apologies if I sent anyone on a wild sheep chase. Apart from the wrong month and the wrong year, the above information was accurate. 

It is in fact RM December 2016......

I thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Ahem.

My apologies if I sent anyone on a wild sheep chase. Apart from the wrong month and the wrong year, the above information was accurate. 

It is in fact RM December 2016......

I thank you. 

It's a fair bet that one or some of those looking for the reference found something else interesting they'd forgotten and will now examine, thanks to you. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Damn. Now I've got my own future project thoughts wandering about the old GN and LNW outposts around Leicestershire.

The plan was not to distract.....:banghead:

3523741_0a023a13.jpg.240b7757beaf115bdba6f6b67698ad82.jpg

Lowesby_station_(geograph_3523746).jpg.de4dea4ff7d1b0e3b085d47298d129f0.jpg

Too weathered????

Edited by MrWolf
Typing with hind paws again...
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Nice photos sir.

I really need to get on with modelling again, recently I've been having one of my breaks from the hobby. It does provide a great escape from the stresses of the world though so I think it's time to organise the workbench (read dining table) and just get on with stuff!

Cheers.