• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

However, I do plan to have a tinker at some point. I am also considering whether or not to pluck up the courage to remove the chimney and replace with one from Wizard models, along with a rather nice turned brass whistle, both 'in stock'. 

Y'see, there is the craftsmanship needed to scratch built a shed. I would have no intention of ever going near a loco chimney to replace it, but you approach it with the same practical 'I can do this' attitude I have with buildings.

In my case, no-one cares if the resulting chimney is wonky !

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Y'see, there is the craftsmanship needed to scratch built a shed. I would have no intention of ever going near a loco chimney to replace it, but you approach it with the same practical 'I can do this' attitude I have with buildings.

In my case, no-one cares if the resulting chimney is wonky !

Whilst I've clicked agree to this Stu, in the hope of encouraging Rob, I'm not sure it's really the case.

Both you and I have the ability to look at a photo and work out what bits, in which order, and what materials, are needed to turn that into a physical model. But I'm aware that not everyone can do that.

As a random example, look at @chuffinghell (sorry Chris): he is a wizard with designing things in CAD to be created by 3D printing. This is something I can't do - I've tried a number of times, but my brain doesn't work like that, I'm much happier translating what I see into physical actions of a scalpel to carve styrene into the desired shapes, but I can't draw what I want first.

Al.

• Like 7

I remember the Airfix version of the Pug coming on sale, it was quite the leap forward at the time as some said it couldn't be done. It was still the era of shoving a diesel motor bogie inside a box van to propel small locos and a good number of people were confident that it couldn't be done.

Edited by MrWolf
Sheer Nylons
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Here you go Al. 

To add to Phils earlier post, here is a view of Sheep Dip. 

Very much a product of their respective time but the Pug is a nice little model all the same. 

Rob. 

20210704_195944-03.jpeg

Thanks Rob, spot on.

Al.

That Pug looks right at home on Sheep Dip!

I’m surprised that nobody has modified the Dapol/Hornby Pug to take a tiny motor and free up the cab.

Not that I am volunteering! Not a clue about meshing gears or whatnots!! :no:

Steve S

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The problem isn't so much about tiny motors, it is as you say, a meshing issue. The original motors are mounted in a moulded bracket (with nasty bits of plasticard shim on the original.) This in turn is mounted on the footplate and the gear protrudes through it. The chassis is screwed through the footplate and into a cast weight inside the saddle tank. The only thing that ensures correct root to tip alignment of the gears is a tiny plastic pip on the motor bracket.

That said, as the cab, footplate and chimney are broken on mine, I have hacked it about to create an Avonside 0-4-0 a la GWR 1340. 

I had odds and ends lying around so, the smokebox and tank are from a Smokey Joe, with the tank turned 180 to put the dome at the front, the Pug spectacle plate and roof (because of the way that the motor is mounted, you can't move the location of the blackhead.) The cab side sheets are from the Hornby Holden no. 101 and everything else is from odds and ends. The motor will be hidden by the crew and canvas weather sheets.

It looks okay I think...

Maybe.

I will either share photos on my thread or use it for target practice. It could go either way. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

That Pug looks right at home on Sheep Dip!

I’m surprised that nobody has modified the Dapol/Hornby Pug to take a tiny motor and free up the cab.

Not that I am volunteering! Not a clue about meshing gears or whatnots!! :no:

Steve S

High Level do a replacement chassis for one.

https://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/product-page/lyr-pug

I bought one of the first Dapol models when they came out. Still got it. Can't believe it's nearly 40 years old though!

Jason

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for both sullying your thread with matters Italian, and referring to history of several pages ago, but Mrs NHN is on leave and my life is not my own currently.....but on the subject of emissions, this narrow gauge railway in Italy (Domodosola, 'Centovalli - Hundred Valleys' line), is of note.....

746995591_P1050644(Medium).JPG.87f2090dc18bf21d927ab4a1274af25e.JPG

1077785317_P1050707(Small).JPG.497aae177956d9b2b8a2ad574ca60032.JPG

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Apologies for both sullying your thread with matters Italian, and referring to history of several pages ago, but Mrs NHN is on leave and my life is not my own currently.....but on the subject of emissions, this narrow gauge railway in Italy (Domodosola, 'Centovalli - Hundred Valleys' line), is of note.....

746995591_P1050644(Medium).JPG.87f2090dc18bf21d927ab4a1274af25e.JPG

1077785317_P1050707(Small).JPG.497aae177956d9b2b8a2ad574ca60032.JPG

The FART Centovalli route from Locarno through to Domodossala is a superb international alpine route. All railway enthusiasts should ride it throughout at least once. The following pictures of a heritage unit were taken in early November 2018 at the Locarno end of the line, before continuing to Domodossala in a modern EMU after lunch.

P1150145.jpg.54fb9a9fe1401eaf06273843a50eca4f.jpg

P1150147.jpg.f5e342becf2ca5d1e811b2368f33c8c5.jpg

P1150152.jpg.559bb65891435fa5cbb921a3172c89bc.jpg

I'm a fan and always have been since first reading Bryan Morgan's "The End of the Line" - circa early 1960s.

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
"Bryan Morgan"
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

The day I did the Centovalli, I arrived at Domodossola from brig and stopped to take some photos. The platform had emptied quickly and when I arrived at the Locarno platform I realised why - everyone had transferred and wanted to get a seat on an old type 2 coach unit. What surprised me most was how many times the weather changed en route. From raining in Domodossola to full sun in Locarno, with mist and fog in between. Well worth it though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

A dozing Peckett....

20210705_212212-02.jpeg

I must take more time to read slower........Misread as A DOZEN Pecketts ! :swoon:

• Funny 8