Looks like the Video I put up, a couple of post back has been taken down, basically Sheep on a Railway Track and a Train crawling along behind.

Never mind, try this for size, Baaaa Humbug.

FarmingUK

There's always that one who takes their passion for sheep too far...

image.png.d90cf5c8cd97bf0a4a39aef2e74587cc.png

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

Rather than pose the question elsewhere,  I shall ask hereon. 

I took delivery of a parcel yesterday which contained a number of ventilated vans. In what is another example of just what a good and kind community RmWeb is, these were a very generous gift, gratefully received. 

Of these, there are a few unpainted Southern planked vent vans from Dapol. 

Reading through posts from Wolfie etc, I have the same concerns regarding the application of transfers etc. 

I realised that I have no clue of what to use to secure and preserve transfers applied to these chaps or in fact, wagons in general. I have a couple of kits to put together and would welcome advice on how to do this. 

Please note: Please pitch at a level suitable  for a none too clever sheep to understand...........

Thanks in advance. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Rob

My approach in simple terms for waterslide or press fix decals is as follows:

1. Gloss surface
  2. Setting solution such as Microsol/Microset - although others are available (MIG Decalset)
  3. Careful application of matt varnish pre-weathering

Chris

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Gilbert said:

Morning Rob

1. Gloss surface
  2. Setting solution such as Microsol/Microset - although others are available (MIG Decalset)

Chris

and very careful handling with limited volumes of any setting solution

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Morning Rob

1. Gloss surface

Chris

2 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

and very careful handling with limited volumes of any setting solution

Microset works well in my experience but I'm very wary of Microsol, which I find far too aggressive and can distort/damage the transfers (the bottle does warn of this).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Microset works well in my experience but I'm very wary of Microsol, which I find far too aggressive and can distort/damage the transfers (the bottle does warn of this).

With any solution its best to apply in baby steps and let the solution do the work. I've found with Microscale US decals I can sometimes encourage the decal onto detail by using a small piece of foam and pressure but I find most other makes are a lot more unforgiving...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a simple solution to waterslide transfers now, thanks to Stubby, in fact, who's idea it was originally, I believe (certainly the first time I saw it was in a post from him fairly recently) and I've used it recently in a number of departmental wagon builds.

1) Spray wagon base colour

2) Brush-paint a small amount of Klear on the area to take the transfers and allow to set (I leave it overnight)

3) Apply waterslide transfers (in my case the excellent Cambridge Custom Transfers) and allow to set overnight (as per their recommendation)

4) Brush another coat of Klear over the top of the now set transfers and allow to harden (again, I leave it overnight)

5) Spray whole wagon body with Humbrol Matt Acrylic Varnish (this being your most excellent suggestion, my dear Mr Sheepfellow), allow to dry and then weather to taste

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I have a simple solution to waterslide transfers now, thanks to Stubby, in fact, who's idea it was originally, I believe (certainly the first time I saw it was in a post from him fairly recently) and I've used it recently in a number of departmental wagon builds.

1) Spray wagon base colour

2) Brush-paint a small amount of Klear on the area to take the transfers and allow to set (I leave it overnight)

3) Apply waterslide transfers (in my case the excellent Cambridge Custom Transfers) and allow to set overnight (as per their recommendation)

4) Brush another coat of Klear over the top of the now set transfers and allow to harden (again, I leave it overnight)

5) Spray whole wagon body with Humbrol Matt Acrylic Varnish (this being your most excellent suggestion, my dear Mr Sheepfellow), allow to dry and then weather to taste

Whilst I would be honoured to bask in the glory of actually being helpful, I must be honest and say 'It weren't me, guv'.  I stopped applying transfers when I was making Airfix planes about 45 years ago, cos they kept breaking.

Unless you can point out the post in which I appear to be informative, in which case I will accept all plaudits (but if it was me, I certainly don't remember...).

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

stopped applying transfers when I was making Airfix planes about 45 years ago, cos they kept breaking.

Ahh, a bit longer than 45 more like 50 years ago.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Andrew P said:

These sheepskin seat covers are a bit too big.

Edited by Gedward
Editing copy and typos
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

14 hours ago, Andrew P said:

image.png.d90cf5c8cd97bf0a4a39aef2e74587cc.png

Looks like he got fleeced by the salesman who sold him that thing....

:whistle:

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

I'v built countless wagons in both 4 and 7 mm and therefore applied many transfers and I've never had any problems. In fact the recent 7mm ones I've not even used gloss as a base, but I do use Humbrol Decalfix which seems to work well. The only time I've had decals/transfers split were some very old coach lining ones. 

An example of the the results of the new approach.

533440206_brakevan12.jpg.3f2666aa6804808ae98f5a98cdcfe2a7.jpg

1177731558_drakes2.jpg.d6c6b6fd1475151c9488753ad32973ca.jpg

2077973359_guard2.jpg.214c2b39152977e5b3c88ede6c5a81ba.jpg

Edited by westerner
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all, 

Rather than pose the question elsewhere,  I shall ask hereon. 

I took delivery of a parcel yesterday which contained a number of ventilated vans. In what is another example of just what a good and kind community RmWeb is, these were a very generous gift, gratefully received. 

Of these, there are a few unpainted Southern planked vent vans from Dapol. 

Reading through posts from Wolfie etc, I have the same concerns regarding the application of transfers etc. 

I realised that I have no clue of what to use to secure and preserve transfers applied to these chaps or in fact, wagons in general. I have a couple of kits to put together and would welcome advice on how to do this. 

Please note: Please pitch at a level suitable  for a none too clever sheep to understand...........

Thanks in advance. 

Rob. 

This is what I did.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/159785-aston-on-clun-a-great-western-might-have-been/&do=findComment&comment=4503065

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Whilst I would be honoured to bask in the glory of actually being helpful, I must be honest and say 'It weren't me, guv'.  I stopped applying transfers when I was making Airfix planes about 45 years ago, cos they kept breaking.

Unless you can point out the post in which I appear to be informative, in which case I will accept all plaudits (but if it was me, I certainly don't remember...).

Oh, that's interesting, I was sure it was you, but no matter.

Unfortunately, it would take an excessive amount of time to trawl through all the threads that I have inhabited, in order to possibly locate the post in question, indeed, I might not even find it at all. In all honesty, this is time that would be far more productively spent contemplating the corporeal significance and essence of Art, darling.

So I shall go and have a herbal tea.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Oh, that's interesting, I was sure it was you, but no matter.

Unfortunately, it would take an excessive amount of time to trawl through all the threads that I have inhabited, in order to possibly locate the post in question, indeed, I might not even find it at all. In all honesty, this is time that would be far more productively spent contemplating the corporeal significance and essence of Art, darling.

So I shall go and have a herbal tea.

So now I don't know if I'm helpful or not - thanks for that... :banghead:

• Friendly/supportive 4