• RMweb Premium

I have to say that we used to get a steady stream of returns at Trackshack of locos with tight spots.  Usually Bachmann, less often Hornby, they just fell to bits....

It is exactly your issue that caused me to defect to USA modelling way back, early diesel era, as the locos all ran simply superbly and were cheaper.  20 years later, they're better in the UK now, but far from perfect still. 

I wanted a return to UK practice, So - O gauge.  Superb running fromDapol, Minerva, Lionheart, but less good, my kit built industrial!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

It is exactly your issue that caused me to defect to USA modelling way back, early diesel era, as the locos all ran simply superbly and were cheaper.  20 years later, they're better in the UK now, but far from perfect still. 

I did the same in the 1990s....the US stuff was a revelation..I'm back now but I have a box of BR duds....when you take your trainset to a show you have to have stuff you can rely on....

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

30 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

So - O gauge.  Superb running fromDapol, Minerva, Lionheart, but less good, my kit built industrial!

Totally agree, all the O Gauge "out of the box loco's" I've purchased have been faultless to date, and the kit built models in my stock, if built with care can be just as good especially with the use of Messrs, Slaters wheels / axles. If kits are chosen with care then you can have something to be proud of building.

Considering the cost of O Gauge locomotives now and the prices of a OO Gauge being very close I for one am extremely pleased to have taken the leap to "BIG BOYS" toys.

Just for interest here is my Scorpio Kit of an Armstrong Goods in its raw state on some Peco test track using Slaters wheels etc built on a simple jig....

Edited by bgman
video clip added
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, bgman said:

Totally agree, all the O Gauge "out of the box loco's" I've purchased have been faultless to date, and the kit built models in my stock, if built with care can be just as good especially with the use of Messrs, Slaters wheels / axles. If kits are chosen with care then you can have something to be proud of building.

Considering the cost of O Gauge locomotives now and the prices of a OO Gauge being very close I for one am extremely pleased to have taken the leap to "BIG BOYS" toys.

I am of course awaiting the release of the 7mm Dapol B4.......

The 4mm versions are quite exceptional and , along with the Hattons P class, are the yardstick by which others are measured. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

The 4mm versions are quite exceptional and , along with the Hattons P class, are the yardstick by which others are measured. 

Rob. 

It stirs!
and in other news....I think an 02 diesel almost counts a kettle...tight curves.....older wagons....just saying...

Edited by Gilbert
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I don't think you will be disappointed mate.

• Agree 1

I must admit that I am dubious about buying any new RTR locomotive, as all you seem to hear is bad reports. I like to keep it simple, so have no interest in going DCC and the advantages don't seem to outweigh the cost in my opinion. I too am rather taken with O gauge, because of the higher level of detail that can be achieved. Unfortunately I have neither the room or funds to build the kind of layout that I can in 4mm. 

I think that I have found a kind of happy medium in buying and modifying older locomotives that for all their faults at least work and running them on a layout that (hopefully) I won't get bored with too quickly.

If manufacturers don't sort things out, I fear that selling to the collector market won't be enough to keep them in business.

Strangely, the only new locomotive I have is the diesel railcar and it performs faultlessly, even on my dodgy track. Though I suspect that the simple mechanism has a lot to do with it.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

19 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I have several panniers & prairies in GWR livery and don't recall any issues with slow running.

Is it the livery that's at fault ?

It's a possibility, although I have a Prairie that started off with an early crest BR black body, it now has a pre 1934 GWR green body and it runs just fine.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

When I first changed to 0 gauge I bought a Pannier from someone who was selling them as RTR models. It ran reasonably compared to 00 locos I felt. However when I took the layout to an exhibition  being short of stock Alan Brackenborough loaned me a scratch built 633 and a coach. The loco was a beauttiful model and more importantly ran exceptionaly well pull away gently at a low speed, never derailed or stuttered in a two day show. I thought thats what I need  first class running.  My good friend Steve Naylor built a white metal kit for me a dock tank. Well actually I found out he had replaced much of the whitemetal parts as too lumpy and cut new from NS. He put a ABC motor gearbox in it and achieved the same first class running. Personally operating a layout is a big part of the fun for me.

Don

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3