• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I still maintain that's the best weathered track I've ever seen. It's just superb.

Al.

Thank you Al. 

You're very kind. 

It turned out well. There were a few areas which did in fact turn curly and needed a tweak or two but overall it came out looking how I wanted it to. 

Most importantly, I learnt from it. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Sausage hooves
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have to follow Al's post with it's the best weathered track that I have ever seen too.

It's an excellent reference for my trackwork but a hàrd act to follow

I do like the grease around the moving parts, that's one of the parts I need to do after ballasting, so that it does stain the ballast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are you going to cut off some of the spurious non-prototypical plastic from the Peco tie bar area, such as the ends of the 2 sleepers where Peco point motors are fixed and the pips for surface mounted motors?

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, steve45 said:

Are you going to cut off some of the spurious non-prototypical plastic from the Peco tie bar area, such as the ends of the 2 sleepers where Peco point motors are fixed and the pips for surface mounted motors?

Evening Steve. 

I've no plans for them to be honest. As I operate my points digitally, I leave the pips on. 

I'm not bothered by the other bits either. 

All my layouts are built with one eye on exhibiting so when I am at a show the layouts are almost at eyelevel to me. You don't really see the trackwork in tge same way as looking down on it. 

Rob. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

26 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

In the same spirit as dragging the earlier coach out, I gave another Hornby product 

an outing, this time on Sheep Dip. 

20210809_215240-03.jpeg.9f22e6a6c6f3e40a007f0a67ac3489fd.jpeg

20210809_215314-01-01.jpeg.90dea830d6c49fbd9069c97e5b58fe88.jpeg

You might have given it a clean before taking those pictures....:jester:

• Funny 12

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

In the same spirit as dragging the earlier coach out, I gave another Hornby product 

an outing, this time on Sheep Dip. 

20210809_215240-03.jpeg.9f22e6a6c6f3e40a007f0a67ac3489fd.jpeg

20210809_215314-01-01.jpeg.90dea830d6c49fbd9069c97e5b58fe88.jpeg

I'm going to be very annoying, Rob, and ask if you've detailed how you went about weathering this wagon earlier on your thread? (Well, there are a lot of pages!!) I just picked up three of these off eBay (two of which require replacement buffers) to go with an old Airfix/GMR version (from my teens!) and would love to achieve the kind of finish you have on this wagon.

Shame Project X won't feature a wharf - I was looking forward to seeing you do water!

Steve S

Thank you for the step by step description. Well, I don't know what I was worried about. That looks easy! :laugh_mini:

Or, rather, as many others will agree, you make it look easy!

Must bookmark that entry so I can refer back in the future.

Cheers

Steve S

PS

Now do a box van!! I've got loads of those to do, too! :laugh_mini2:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Now you've got the diesel (it's an 03, by the way) why not introduce a passenger service with a Heljan W&M railbus?

While Rob is not going in for passenger trains (good) who needs a railbus when you've got a 204hp (later class 03) diseasal?  Plenty fast enough for Workmen's Trains on quiet bits of railway although the lack of train heat might not have gone down too well in the winter.  And you could even see them on passenger trains at Swindon ;)

Scroll down the link below -

http://highworthhistoricalsociety.org.uk/highworth-light-railway/

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

While Rob is not going in for passenger trains (good) who needs a railbus when you've got a 204hp (later class 03) diseasal?  Plenty fast enough for Workmen's Trains on quiet bits of railway although the lack of train heat might not have gone down too well in the winter.  And you could even see them on passenger trains at Swindon ;)

Scroll down the link below -

http://highworthhistoricalsociety.org.uk/highworth-light-railway/

Hi Mike, 

I am familiar with the Highworth branch. I'm pretty certain it was featured many years ago in Model Trains magazine ? 

Perhaps the author was Chris Leigh? 

No, the only thing my 03 will be moving about the place are wagons and not many of those due to clearances. 

There's simply no need for coaches on Project X . I never envisaged that and I'm coming to the conclusion that it will be more of a diorama than a layout and that's not a  bad thing. 

It will obviously work but whereas my other layouts have been fairly broad brush affairs, I see PX as being more detailed, possible in part to the simplicity of it all. But none of my layouts could be considered complex. 

This is not being built to a tight deadline so the need to rush, depite the simple nature of it all isn't there. Sheep Dip was put together in a little over 3 months and to be honest it shows in places. 

Provisionally, Px will have it's first public outing in February next year unless the Small Cardiff Show happens in January. If not then the provisioal show in Feb might take its place. 

I of course reserve judgement on any planned outings. 

Rob. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Provisionally, Px will have it's first public outing in February next year unless the Small Cardiff Show happens in January. If not then the provisional show in Feb might take its place. 

Psst....  April 24th....  Just sayin'

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Psst....  April 24th....  Just sayin'

I would be only too glad to bring Px  along. 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

All being well, I'm looking to make week end of  Staplegrove with an over nighter on the Saturday at least. 

Someone has to try and keep Pencarrot out of the pub. 

He looked  decidedly pasty on Sunday morning. Not to be confused with the Cornish pasties at Sunday lunchtime which had a much better complexion about them. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Haemorrhoids
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2