• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

I love your baps btw....

Very smooth. 

• Funny 2

I wonder if you could maybe use small blobs of white tac, possibly coated in micro balloons to simulate the remnants of snow on bogies etc in a non permanent way? I don't see the lack of snow on vehicle roofs as a major distraction - most of it might have blown off as the train moved along. Some suggestion of remaining snow could be done with non sealed weathering powders which could again be removed later if required....?

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, keefr2 said:

I wonder if you could maybe use small blobs of white tac, possibly coated in micro balloons to simulate the remnants of snow on bogies etc in a non permanent way? I don't see the lack of snow on vehicle roofs as a major distraction - most of it might have blown off as the train moved along. Some suggestion of remaining snow could be done with non sealed weathering powders which could again be removed later if required....?

Keith

Hi Keith, 

The problem in using white weathering powder is removing it. It will cling and stain so is best avoided. 

This is the issue in winterising stock. You effectively consign it to one particular project and this is not something I'm willing to do. My stock has to see service on all four  current layouts. 

I'll see what happens with the season depicted  on Px but for the avoidance of any further doubt, there will be no snow on layout or stock. 

Rob. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

By way of reassurance, Pencarrot, Old Fruit, Panniers will definitely not feature on Project X. 

Well we can soon do something about that !  :yahoo:

No apologies ! 

G

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

How about a winter scene with a hard frost rather than actual snow? This would avoid the need for snow on stock and depict a cold crisp day. There's a picture of the sort of scene I mean  in "On GER lines" by Peter Swinger (I think) but I'm away from home so I can't post a link.

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold
Typing whilst half awake
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening G. 

It is indeed. Things will evolve in time, rest assured of that

By way of reassurance, Pencarrot, Old Fruit, Panniers will definitely not feature on Project X. 

the-great-british-breakfast-bap-143d61b.jpg.37f6fd930e238ed9945632020ce5d549.jpg

1_Morrisons-Breakfast-Butty-14.jpg.9b09390f435195a885acf89f0f647b8a.jpg

On occasion. 

That's making me feel like a full English for me breakfast rather than the usual cereals, I can smell the bacon!!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening G. 

It is indeed. Things will evolve in time, rest assured of that

the-great-british-breakfast-bap-143d61b.jpg.37f6fd930e238ed9945632020ce5d549.jpg

1_Morrisons-Breakfast-Butty-14.jpg.9b09390f435195a885acf89f0f647b8a.jpg

On occasion. 

Mmm. Well filled baps...

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Keith, 

The problem in using white weathering powder is removing it. It will cling and stain so is best avoided. 

This is the issue in winterising stock. You effectively consign it to one particular project and this is not something I'm willing to do. My stock has to see service on all four  current layouts. 

I'll see what happens with the season depicted  on Px but for the avoidance of any further doubt, there will be no snow on layout or stock. 

Rob. 

The Grinch / SheepBloke stole Christmas.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

That's just an overweight Pannier. 

Too many well filled baps I guess.

Edited by Gedward
Editing copy and typos
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

16 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

HI Rob,

That's why I mentioned not sealing it. I've often fully removed weathering powders from coc...er, mucked up weathering jobs on aircraft and armour kits by gently rubbing them off with cotton buds soaked in soapy water. But I do have to say I've never actually used white powders so they might be more difficult....

Keith

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, bgman said:

A fascinating piece of footage, captured by a patient and dedicated wildlife film maker from a carefully constructed hide, showing one of the little-known evolutionary stages that some panniers have to go through in their life cycle, before they grow fully fledged pannier tanks.

This little chap will frolic around a few goods yards in the innocence of his joyful youth, before the onset of the long winter months, when he will have to find a snug and secure engine shed somewhere, to hibernate in.

He will build himself a cosy nest of bubble wrap and tissue paper and enter into a long and restful period of sleep.

When he wakes up, he will have become a fully fledged pannier tank, with the proper tanks each side of his boiler and no vestiges of his juvenile saddle tank garb remaining.

The grown-up world of stopping passenger trains and coal services in the Welsh Valleys will then await and, if he is lucky, a long and happy retirement on a heritage railway.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

For a bit of light relief, I have a BR standard brake van from Messrs Hornby courtesy of Grahame (Bgman) which will be an alternative to Toadie.

This will be the next victim....ahem, cough! .....next subject for weathering. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Hooves
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

They made a movie about a guy who builds a time machine in order to rescue his breakfast.

BAP TO THE FUTURE

Edited by Gedward
Editing copy and typos
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 11

10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

21 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Can one have too many well-filled baps?

I find that two at a time is as many as I can handle.

:offtopic:

Reminds me of something I was told about maths - that an isolated island tribe only had three numbers - “1”, “2” and “Many”. Based upon the idea that you can catch a fish in each hand (1 and 2) but beyond that there is no point (many).

Never checked if that was true, but it has a ring of truth to it! :lol:

Back to toads and sheep!

Steve S

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

:offtopic:

Reminds me of something I was told about maths - that an isolated island tribe only had three numbers - “1”, “2” and “Many”. Based upon the idea that you can catch a fish in each hand (1 and 2) but beyond that there is no point (many).

Never checked if that was true, but it has a ring of truth to it! :lol:

I think it was Guard Martin of Norwood depot, who in a pre-TOPS era, when preparing a train would simply tell the driver that there were "many wagons", which became his nickname. 

• Funny 8