• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

:offtopic:

Reminds me of something I was told about maths - that an isolated island tribe only had three numbers - “1”, “2” and “Many”. Based upon the idea that you can catch a fish in each hand (1 and 2) but beyond that there is no point (many).

Never checked if that was true, but it has a ring of truth to it! :lol:

Back to toads and sheep!

Steve S

In Terry Pratchett's books, the Trolls have a counting system, which goes: one, two, many, lots.

Maybe a similar reason.

Al.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of maths , I posted this in St Enodoc's thread, but in case you missed it.

10+10 is the same as 11+11.

Doubt that's true?

Say, out loud, "10+10 is" and give the answer.

Then do the same for 11+11...

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

When it comes to counting, decimal is rubbish you can count up to 10 on your digits in decimal but up to 1111111111 in binary equal to 1023 in decimal. Starting from the right hand side the thumb is worth 1 the first finger 2 the second 4 and so on round to the left hand thumb which is worth 512.

Don

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Donw said:

When it comes to counting, decimal is rubbish you can count up to 10 on your digits in decimal but up to 1111111111 in binary equal to 1023 in decimal. Starting from the right hand side the thumb is worth 1 the first finger 2 the second 4 and so on round to the left hand thumb which is worth 512.

Don

We should have had 6 fingers, much more flexible in Base 12....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Speaking of maths , I posted this in St Enodoc's thread, but in case you missed it.

Doubt that's true?

10+10 is 100, 11+11 is 110

Don

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Al

And those who know we're talking in base 3

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Doubt that's true?

3 hours ago, Donw said:

Don

And you lot go on about me talking about Art!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Alister_G said:

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Al

If someone refers to their gender as being non-binary does that mean they are analog?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 10

7 hours ago, Donw said:

Don

I admit that I have just spent ten minutes counting using that system - clever! Similar to that is something I have half-remembered from an inset training day, which was that in Olde London Towne back in the day (think Samuel Pepys and crew), street traders had a system of counting by tapping various parts of their anatomy that allowed them to do calculations incredibly quickly, as there were separate movements representing every number from 1 to 144 (a gross). We know they had such a system, because it is mentioned in Mr Pepys's writings but not in enough detail to be able to reconstruct it. It was a system developed and passed on by itinerant traders, and has been lost in the mists of time, although it is believed that the "tic-tac" signalling system by bookies at race meetings is* similar to it in execution.

Steve S

* Or should that be "was", as tic-tac itself is also seen less and less...

• Informative/Useful 5