• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

I seed this the other day and thought of you.

FB_IMG_1632503411448.jpg.bd0b701b60cf3972caa74f830a3aa808.jpg

Mange tout, Von Dub. 

Thank you. We do like a bit of S&D. 

One day I shall build a nice roundy roundy set on this, my favourite railway of all. 

Rob.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Next Sheepy project?:

Morning Pencarrot.

Never modelled narrow gauge but the L&B is my favourite n.g line. These look lovely but I have to say a far too salty a price for this here Sheep. Space to have a reasonable stab at a decent layout  would also hamper matters but as I say,  they do look utterly splendid. 

I have of course thought of doing the  L&B in 009 but you have to stop somewhere. I've previously fancied  a 120cm x 40cm rendition of Woolley Bay. 

However, Bachmann's little (tiny !!) 0.4.0st, Hunslet, due next year, really looks the part and  I do have a couple of 60cm x 40cm table tops knocking about...........TomF's wonderful Scaca Fell Forestry Crossing has certainly  prompted much in the way of thought of a n.g something or other. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Tried to post a link to Tom's thread but it won't let me.......
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/09/2021 at 10:46, Tim Dubya said:

I seed this the other day and thought of you.

FB_IMG_1632503411448.jpg.bd0b701b60cf3972caa74f830a3aa808.jpg

Highbridge East 'B' - I pulled a lever or two in that box when I were a lad. I am fairly sure that the crossing gates were manually pushed open and shut, after unlocking from the box. Although it was an S&D box it gave road access to the GW goods yard. The signalman was Sid (or was it Stan) Oram, one of Dad's parishioners.

The line beyond it led to the S&D goods shed and then the Church Street (A38) crossing where the lines to Burnham and Highbridge Wharf separated.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

They were lucky finds at model railway exhibitions, old MAJ models kits for a couple of lwvb opens. They were in the sale bins under a big modern image layout. When they turn up on eBay there's usually a bit of a scrap over them unfortunately.

As for vans, it's possible to build something close to an L&Y type using the body from an old Tri-ang Insulfish van.

. "Rehab for old Hornby Wagons - Modifying & Detailing RTR stock - RMweb" https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/60182-rehab-for-old-Hornby-wagons/

D3_web_version.jpg.2ae5d40c8a28acccd1c4e483215525a8.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Link didn't attach
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Where can one acquire LYR wagons

I asked the same 18 months ago on here and a kind member supported me in acquiring some David Geen kits, not cheap, but cheaper than most current ebay offerings. I also acquired the odd long wheelbase MAJ kits, quite poor kits really, but from these I got to grips with the brake gear options and have since scratch built some of my own.

As mentioned, the Cambrian 16ft 303 chassis can be used to underpin the Triang Insulfish to make a decent diagram 3 covered goods van, or scratch build Dia1, Dia11 and several other 9ft underframe open wagons. I filed off the Gloucester brake V-hangars and replaced them with these.

A must have book to get you going is this.

Tip - look for a Dia89 Maj kit, a motor car van from 1913 which doesn't sell as well as the other LWB vans, and file the ends to make it an ordinary Dia82 van from 1910.

Edited by MR Chuffer
  • Like 1

The Hull & Barnsley Railway van body was used by Hornby for such things as the Prime Pork and Smith's Crisps van and a whole host of others. I've converted one, still unfinished!

IMG_20210929_211206.jpg.188ddae74a78bd3b2231c27678a198b7.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no load!
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
On 30/09/2021 at 06:02, MrWolf said:

The Hull & Barnsley Railway van body was used by Hornby for such things as the Prime Pork and Smith's Crisps van and a whole host of others. I've converted one, still unfinished!

IMG_20210929_211206.jpg.188ddae74a78bd3b2231c27678a198b7.jpg

Before you ballast, put some dummy sleepers under those rail joints Rob!

• Like 2

Already on with it, I was going to use actual timber, but found that cut up bits of scrap track blended in better.

I'm also fitting point rodding, FPLs and painting the sleepers before ballasting as they've only had a blast of sleeper grime. 

Any thoughts on chopping up vintage RTR wagons?

• Like 3