• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Have to agree G. 

It is already added to the "favourite book' section. 

Much to be gleaned and I can only hope to emulate the type of finish EN achieves. 

I might not manage it on Project X, in fact I strongly suspect I won't but nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

Taking into account the text, definately one to acquire. Heartily recommended. 

Rob. 

Quite a lot of articles by EN have been in the Continental modelling magazine that is produced in this country, so all in English. He does make use of a particular type of closed cell foam that seems to be crucially different to the ones available over here though. His micro painting is amazing but I dread to think how long it takes to do.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

It's 3 dimensional art is what it is.

Stand by......

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, simonmcp said:

Quite a lot of articles by EN have been in the Continental modelling magazine that is produced in this country, so all in English. He does make use of a particular type of closed cell foam that seems to be crucially different to the ones available over here though. His micro painting is amazing but I dread to think how long it takes to do.

Evening Simon. 

I have a few but even taking into account the translation thingy, I've got this book for roughly the cost of three CM's so good value in my eyes. 

Its the painting and finishing I am hoping to pick up but who knows if it will lead to scratch built buildings. 

Rob. 

• Like 3

It's definitely a book that is going on my list of titles to look out for.  It is, as @woodenheadsays, 3 dimensional art. 

The only problem is when I get reading something like that, I start making things that I don't have a place for.

Although I do have an idea about making further modules for my layout which eventually terminates in a small ancient town.

I've managed to justify more layout building in a few sentences there!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Strangely, I miss wearing a shirt & tie, not only since before Lockdown & WFH - I always had a sense of being professionally dressed and therefore had a professional attitude.  The current job is in a small-ish firm with no internal or external customers, so no need.

When I worked in Singapore, I was one of very few that wore a tie. When I was asked why, I replied that if I didn't wear a tie I didn't feel like doing any work.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

Following on from the excellent EM Detail book this channel may be in general interest to those who enjoy detailing / weathering techniques, although it's mainly American based this chap certainly gets to show off some useful work.

Worth scrolling through his videos if you have some time to spare.

https://www.youtube.com/c/JasonJensenTrains/videos

Edited by bgman
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

In Zummerset when we lived over the wall from a farm yard, I am sure it wer boynder twoyne. I d'know thaat 'cos the farmer did give my Mum a gert big roll of't, t string up 'er runners.

On the subject of current dress protocols, have you noticed how many politicians and indeed TV reporters seem to have just grabbed a tie before coming on air and managed to get the knot off centre?

Simples - it's an age thing.  Binder twine came first because binders came before balers but then the world got all modern and combine harvesters (cue the music) arrived so that meant  balers were needed and balers used binder twine back in the early days.  Both my uncles used binder twine to hold up their (army surplus) trousers.

There were also the what would nowadays be called PPE uses of binder twine So when moving stuff into or out of the granary binder twine was applied around the bottom of the trousers to stop rats running up them.  The other important PPE use was to secure the old sacking round your legs below the knees when using a scythe and particularly when working in a group cutting with scythes.   I suppose the nearest modern equivalent to the latter is wearing kevlar strengthened trousers when using a chain saw.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon,

I have to say I am pleased with my new purchase. Thanks to G, I am using the photo translate app thing and it's fab. 

I can wholeheartedly  recommend it and as previously stated, this book is a very useful addition to the modelling library. 

I can see I need to do some modelling, keep you lot occupied. 

So, I'm off to read, digest and try a few new techniques. 

Rob. 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

In other news, there may well be a new loco arriving for Project X of which more anon. 

Something different for me to be sure and I think it will prove interesting for those who may be interested in such things . 

Very area specific. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

26 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

a new loco

Mine arrived at lunchtime, just running her in !

IMG_4839.jpeg.328675abaac1da037a9aef809140f94d.jpeg

Well...you can't have enough Panniers eh ? 

( Bit modern for me but it'll fit with the side project ).

Rob, glad you've had success with the translation app, nothing to stop you now matey ! 

G

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, bgman said:

Mine arrived at lunchtime, just running her in !

IMG_4839.jpeg.328675abaac1da037a9aef809140f94d.jpeg

Well...you can't have enough Panniers eh ? 

( Bit modern for me but it'll fit with the side project ).

Rob, glad you've had success with the translation app, nothing to stop you now matey ! 

G

Minerva ? 

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Minerva ? 

Bless Ewe ! 

No 'tis one of Mr.Dapols and a really sweet runner straight out of the box.

I had a spare sound decoder now fitted which needs the speaker changing but other than that really happy with it.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Recently attended the funeral of one of our club's founder members. The family suggested we should wear our club sweatshirts as the club had been a big part of his life. Seemed much nicer than assorted black clothing. Ron was a good modeller and it was nice to mark that.

Don

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, bgman said:

Bless Ewe ! 

No 'tis one of Mr.Dapols and a really sweet runner straight out of the box.

I had a spare sound decoder now fitted which needs the speaker changing but other than that really happy with it.

It looks the part Grahame.  Needs weathering........

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

And unless he's going to keep it as a 67XX, I think he'll need to remove the vacuum and steam heating pipes and fit a 3-link coupling!

Nice rivets, though (even if you can hardly see 'em!) and correct for 6739.

Don't you just love a pedant?

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

Thank you Rob, and here she is with a larger speaker installed about half an hour ago.

It will need a little bit of tweaking but at least there's some noise now ! 

I will pluck up the courage to waft some dirt over it at some point.

p.s. despite the buildings in the background she's not on loan to the Italian Railways !!! :lol:

G

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

Very nice indeed, it also means that I don't have to go digging in boxes to get a pannier fix...

I hope that your postman turns up soon, is the new loco a new direction or something to pin down the location of Project X Rob?

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I hope that your postman turns up soon, is the new loco a new direction or something to pin down the location of Project X Rob?

Evening Rob. 

It's a bit of both. Definately  something to pin down Project X though possibly not what is expected.  Then again..............

I am reliably informed that said loco will be with me tomorrow, subject to the efforts of Her Majesty's Royal Mail. 

Should this in fact prove to be the case, then we shall see an appearance hereabouts tomorrow evening. 

I must say, I am quite looking forward to it's arrival..

Rob

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, PMP said:

4C8F390B-CDEF-4CF6-929B-0AE65AE5749B.jpeg.094cd629b02981c912889e38cd4f5179.jpeg

So I’ve been led to believe….

Re the closed foam for  buildings on believe Geoff Kent has used the bases that come underneath some pizza’s. I tried some (foam), but couldn’t get the knack. 

Evening Paul. 

Cracking collection. I do like the variety you have created with the subtle detail differences you have modelled. 

Rob.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2