• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Brush 4 to us northerners, as opposed to a Peak.  Did you know Mark Clark by any chance BTW?

Worked with him at Brighton. He bought a layout from me.

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Notice that calling something a BR/Sulzer type 2 doesn't distinguish between a class 24 and class 25. Normally locos in this era were named after the main contractor — usually the firm responsible for the mechanical parts, although the class 15 is an exception: the mechanical parts were made by YEC (pilot scheme locos) and Clayton (the rest).

For some reason the class 14 was usually referred to as a "Paxman type 1” — a designation that could have applied to all the type 1s except the EE Type 1 (class 20). 

D95XX as far as the WR was concerned although the Class designation or possibly the number series was no doubt used in the loads tables.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Bizarrely, I'm not at all confident about weathering the diesels as of yet. It's something I need to look into and read up on

I’m sure I speak on behalf of many that we have every confidence in you……

……no pressure though

• Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Going back to the weathering, it might be worth getting hold of something cheap and practicing on that, where at least you can strip it all off and have another go until you have reached the level of proficiency that satisfies you and then do your pride and joy,  deseasal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I'm with Oldudders.  Many of the nicknames for loco classes are modern, and date from well after the eras we model.  EE type 3's for instance, were just that, not 'tractors' or other nonsense. DMU's were 'multi's' and no class numbers - we had no idea of them but knew a Met-Cam from a Birm (-ingham RCW).

Now Sheepsy needs a NB Type 1 to go with the BTH......

Agree - 350s were 350 hp diesel shunters on the Western,  EE Type 3s were exactly that to everybody - even in 1973 by which time they had been Class 37s for 5 years!  To us DMUs were 'units' - single cars were SPCs, drive end trailers to go with the SPCs were DETS,   'Units' normally referred to any 3 car set (and to some 2 car sets) - some were Glo'ster units, some were BRCW units, some were Pressed Steel units, and, unfortunately, some were Park Royal units.  The only ones that were any different were Cross Country sets (because the Instruction manual called them that) and Inter City sets (again because that was what the manual called them).

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m sure I speak on behalf of many that we have every confidence in you……

……no pressure though

The ghost of  Joseph Hamilton Beattie (1808-1871) has told me that he's very concerned about SheepBloke straying off the true and righteous path of modelling LSWR stock. He'll be heading over to Sheepville and will be channelling all his ghostly vibes into the paints and powders used on the dreaded diesels in order to get Rob to step away from the dark side. Fibble.

By way of encouragement...

IMG_20211009_143514.jpg.5dc171360e980c41e25e36b35526fc8d.jpg

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Don't understand DXXXX numbering but I know a 29 looks like a 22 if you squash it up a bit or something like that.

I think the majority of folk predate the actual use of the TOPS system in the model world because IMO:

1. It's loads quicker to type a 2 or 3 digit class number than the lengthy original class designation

2. Most folk know of and can quickly visualise a 17, 22 or 37

3. It's generally less ambiguous, there were for instance loads of Class 2s and I generally quickly forget who made what

What's a North British Type 2 anyway?:

rps20211009_141441.jpg.6d7b64cbdab5f20e934b96006a47d49c.jpg

I agree use of TOPS isn't correct for the early diesel period but I think it's a useful and acceptable anachronism.

Obviously the infamous 2ManySpams diesel identification system is the most useful system and relies purely on end shapes and window numbers. What could be easier?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 4

21 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

I think the majority of folk predate the actual use of the TOPS system in the model world because IMO:

1. It's loads quicker to type a 2 or 3 digit class number than the lengthy original class designation

2. Most folk know of and can quickly visualise a 17, 22 or 37

3. It's generally less ambiguous, there were for instance loads of Class 2s and I generally quickly forget who made what

What's a North British Type 2 anyway?:

rps20211009_141441.jpg.6d7b64cbdab5f20e934b96006a47d49c.jpg

I agree use of TOPS isn't correct for the early diesel period but I think it's a useful and acceptable anachronism.

Obviously the infamous 2ManySpams diesel identification system is the most useful system and relies purely on end shapes and window numbers. What could be easier?

Nope, still don't get it.

Oh hang on:

Steam.

s-l300(1).jpg.9aa800e35ba91a9a8190e5e9c580d469.jpg

Diesel:

Spam1.jpg.16d524321e54b91aef4b80134761472d.jpg

Sorted.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Nope, still don't get it.

Oh hang on:

Steam.

s-l300(1).jpg.9aa800e35ba91a9a8190e5e9c580d469.jpg

Diesel:

Spam1.jpg.16d524321e54b91aef4b80134761472d.jpg

Sorted.

I can see that a certain class of steam engine may cause issues with your classification system...

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

Seriously though, all this talk of early diesels is contagious, I have often thought that it wouldn't take much more than a change of road vehicles to run my layout as it might have been c1960.

It's also a good excuse to buy more locos and stock....:diablo_mini:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Brush 4 to us northerners, as opposed to a Peak.  Did you know Mark Clark by any chance BTW?

Duffs. And Scottish ones were MacDuffs....

Not a "spotters" nickname, the local railwaymen called them that. They were seen as inferior to the locos they replaced.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Not the Carolyn G?? She was with me at Canton and last seen heading for Selhurst Park.

The same lady. After Selhurst she took the top job at Brighton, Lovers Walk. Last seen by me in some sort of very senior role at either OPRAF or ORR early this century, I think. St Enedoc can fill in a few blanks, probably. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Duffs. And Scottish ones were MacDuffs....

Not a "spotters" nickname, the local railwaymen called them that. They were seen as inferior to the locos they replaced.

Jason

And the "Shove Duffs" remained so, to some, after they migrated South.

The "Duff" moniker was well-earned in their early days; they didn't exactly sparkle straight out of the box. ISTR wagers being laid when one headed down out of Exeter St Davids as to how many of the traction motors would remain functional by the time it returned.....

By the time we began to see them in quantity down west, they'd been largely sorted, as they clearly had to be, BR having bought over five hundred of the bu99ers.:unsure: 

The only diesels that seemed to work really well from the get-go were the various Type 3s from BRC&W, EE, and Beyer Peacock. 

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

And the "Shove Duffs" remained so, to some, after they migrated South.

The "Duff" moniker was well-earned in their early days; they didn't exactly sparkle straight out of the box. ISTR wagers being laid when one headed down out of Exeter St Davids as to how many of the traction motors would remain functional by the time it returned.....

By the time we began to see them in quantity down west, they'd been largely sorted, as they clearly had to be, BR having bought over five hundred of the bu99ers.:unsure: 

The only diesels that seemed to work really well from the get-go were the various Type 3s from BRC&W, EE, and Beyer Peacock. 

John

The Brush 4s were appalling things when new and indeed for a succession of years after as numerous mods were made and experiments carried out.  Their most alarming early feature was the automatic slack adjusters on the brake rigging which had a habit of 'adjusting' non-existent slack with the results that brake blocks caught fire and wheel tyres got rather hot and bothered.   Little doubt in my mind that the BRCW alternative (aka 'Lion') was a better design and would have come from a more reliable design stable building on the success of the BRCW Type 2s and 3s.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

I’ve read that some railwaymen, at least, called class 47s "Brush Four-and-a-half”; a "Brush 4” being a class 46. Only the class 44s were "Peaks", the 45s were "Cromptons" (they had Crompton-Parkinson electrical equipment, while the 46s had Brush).

Apparently the first half-dozen 47s (those fitted with ETH from new) had originally been intended to be class 46s D194-199.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, I am somewhat amused and I must say, find it interesting to see how much debate and opinion regarding correct terminology has resulted from the appearance of the Class 15. 

Not in any way intended as a criticism but it's this sort of stuff that's kept me away from the diseasal world for so long. 

I don't think I am seriously minded enough or perhaps more accurately, passionate enough about the subject. 

I find the Class 15 quite appealing to look at as I do the 24. A Class 31 will appear due to fond memories of my Triang example. 

As you may gather, I like small shunty engines, hence the 03 and again, I reserve a soft spot for an 08 arising from hours spent watch said shunters shuffling about Cardiff Central in the late 70s, early 80s. 

So we shall see more diseasals in due course, both on Project X and Bleat Wharf (of which more anon) but for now the emphasis is on things Eastern. 

Rob. 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Worked with him at Brighton. He bought a layout from me.

He was in our club when he was a young feller, he was originally a Merch engineer the same as myself, he went to our local marine college.  I heard he passed away a couple of years ago.  Quite a character.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, mullie said:

A layout with two time frames, my EM test plank Upbech St Mary.

925707042_TramLOMO.jpg.aabe6dc61534d60fc3fae79ad00a6eb8.jpg

20210529_195027.jpg.838c28ea478bf0a3c4c139231683f9c9.jpeg.d72b0c8f4d20ee600022319de51f95c9.jpeg

The green one is allegedly a class 10 shunter.

Martyn

That definitely gives me ideas.

Note to self: Must actually get layout built first.....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1