• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Regarding the Bachmann 08, further to my last, I have had a little pre-breakfast running and shunting session with the little chap and it went okay. I think it could be better mind you. 

The motor in them is huge, as is the flywheel. The pick ups rest on top of the wheeltreads which is probably not the best as they gather all the rubbish. Easy to dismantle and clean but really? 

There is some fore and aft  movement in the motor shaft, about 0.5-1.0mm at certain speeds and I'm not sure it helps but it's pretty good now. A lot better than when I got it that's for sure. 

I shall keep an eye out for a Hornby example as I do think they are a bit more polished but there's no rush. 

Rob. 

With top mounted pickups you’ve got the ‘Mk1’ version. The Mk2 has rear tyre mounted pickups. As you’ve found once cleaned they work really well. All mine are Mk1’s and any hesitation is invariably down to dirty pickups. I use Tamiya weathering sticks (Q tip things) with IPA on them to clean the pickups. Make sure they have enough downward ‘spring’ on them too. I have had one break but soldered a extension with PB wire onto the stub which has worked. I always clean the wheel treads while they’re disassembled too.

35971AA6-854D-44D1-89FC-7454B53DDF66.jpeg.1d33f6bd02891cfb0ff701bc891469e5.jpeg

The Hornby version LHS above is better visually. If you’re getting one make sure you get a recent version. Some of the earliest releases had issues that made them squeal which are really difficult to resolve. 
Both the above have had makeovers, the biggest difference is the connecting rods, on original the Bachmann version they are chunky, and the Hornby version are finer but of a softer metal and can sometimes be bent affecting the running badly. I replace the Bachmann rods with Brassmasters versions, and if of interest will supply a link on ‘how to’.

brgds

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

According to Wikipedia (so make of this what you will) the LMS jack shaft drive 350hp shunters were classified as Class 3/7 by BR.

If the combination of long wheelbase and Gotham Curve were responsible for ending the trial, why were none of the shorter wheelbase shunters trialled? The Class 3/6, class 08 and class 11 certainly existed at this time.

Probably their lack of speed. Some parts of the C&HP required a run up to get speed for the gradients (see LNWR dock tank accident) and I imagine the 08’s etc would be compromised on that section by a lack of speed, particularly if loaded.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Who’s Julian?

Ahem..........

Oops. 

Sorry Jay.  

#bewildered sheep. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby 350 is a bit better than the Bachmann one, but the DCC sound is vile.  Don't pay extra for that, if you want sound add a decent decoder!

I do like the idea of a 'Rob C&HP' layout which just lends itself to your style, also you can put a brick under one end of an Ikea shelf for the incline.....

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I could see Cromford wharf happening on the aforementioned Swedish shelf. Flat is good.

bill-reid-old-photo-796x386.jpg.e47cf2fb72a607ecac08be490e2bcc6b.jpg

The photo above is Whaley Bridge Rob. Great scene though!

Ive thought for a long time Steeplehouse Goods would make a great micro layout. 

Jay

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I'm thinking of the bottom end of the line by the canal where the old transfer shed is / was. I stopped at a chippy in Cromford square once and saw the old incline from the road on the way out. That's about the limit of my knowledge of the area.  I am sure that I saw a  recent picture of the  bottom of the yard with a couple of repainted LMS brake vans standing on a piece of track. There's also a wrecked open wagon in one of the sand traps even now so I was told.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I could see Cromford wharf happening on the aforementioned Swedish shelf.

;)

Not very flat though, what with the embankment and the incline...

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I shall keep an eye out for a Hornby example as I do think they are a bit more polished but there's no rush. 

Rob. 

Rob

Knowing of your previous trials and tribulations I will share this....my personal experience is that the Bachmann version is not as pretty but is a little more robust in use. The coupling rods on the Hornby version can be problematic. I'm on my second....

Chris

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Rob

Knowing of your previous trials and tribulations I will share this....my personal experience is that the Bachmann version is not as pretty but is a little more robust in use. The coupling rods on the Hornby version can be problematic. I'm on my second....

Chris

Interesting. A good friend has had no end of trouble with the Bachmann crankpins falling out.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I'm thinking of the bottom end of the line by the canal where the old transfer shed is / was. I stopped at a chippy in Cromford square once and saw the old incline from the road on the way out. That's about the limit of my knowledge of the area.  I am sure that I saw a  recent picture of the  bottom of the yard with a couple of repainted LMS brake vans standing on a piece of track. There's also a wrecked open wagon in one of the sand traps even now so I was told.

Cromford has been very well preserved with most of the original buildings still there apart from the engine shed. The workshops are advertised as the ‘oldest existing in the world’, there’s a couple of brake vans at the foot of the incline and there’s still a runaway wagon embedded in the catch pit. The place is worth a visit. Even better if you’re into walking or cycling as the High Peak trail runs all the way to Parsley Hay still. Lea Wood pump house is also located at Cromford and along with Middleton Top Enginenhouse have open/steam days. 

Some thing Derbyshire County Council got right!

Jay

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I have only got experience with the Bachmann 08s, like Paul MP, but they can be given some modest fettling to improve appearances.

My OO one is running with original pick ups, which do need to be kept clean, but my P4 one has been fitted with replacement wiper pick ups, mounted on a thin slice of copper clad, glued to the base plate. I used one pair of original pick ups to solder connecting wires to.

I've also converted a couple of Bachmann 08s to P4 for Re6/6 and done the same pick up dodge, which does improve reliability as compared to the original ones (especially, it has to be said, for P4 conversions, where the original top-acting pick ups don't really like being stretched out to the wider gauge).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Lovely.

The season of mists and mellow dieselness.

I thank you. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, NHY 581 said:

Mmmmmmmm......................

bill-reid-old-photo-796x386.jpg.e47cf2fb72a607ecac08be490e2bcc6b.jpg.46362f65c87ab823f378f2e8d112114a.jpg

The cogs going apace Rob?

This is the view looking away from the transfer shed towards the incline back to C&HPR. This part of Whaley was entirely horse worked I understand.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

The cogs going apace Rob?

This is the view looking away from the transfer shed towards the incline back to C&HPR. This part of Whaley was entirely horse worked I understand.

Yep, they are, ta.

This was an early influence. 

1640492558_Screenshot_20211016-093502_SamsungInternet-01.jpeg.5017b6c99cc83944ed4f44a3dcdc33fd.jpeg

I must see if I still have it lurking. 

I shall place the C&HP in the relevant project queue then. 

Clearly, I  just need (!) a J94 now................

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Termites
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I always thought Friden would an interesting subject for a model as there was a yard and the brickworks separated by a small under bridge and it acted as a changeover point between the tank engines used on the Friden to Cromford section and the tender engines (Midland 3Fs and Ivatt 2MTs) that worked the Buxton to Friden section.

The photo on page 69 of Whaley Bridge to Friden showing 46401 entering the brickworks, passing the Engines Must Not Pass Beyond This Point board, is probably responsible for this.

• Like 2