• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I always thought Friden would an interesting subject for a model as there was a yard and the brickworks separated by a small under bridge and it acted as a changeover point between the tank engines used on the Friden to Cromford section and the tender engines (Midland 3Fs and Ivatt 2MTs) that worked the Buxton to Friden section.

The photo on page 69 of Whaley Bridge to Friden showing 46401 entering the brickworks, passing the Engines Must Not Pass Beyond This Point board, is probably responsible for this.

Geraint (Middlepeak) is building a P4 model of Friden, documented here:

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Yep, they are, ta.

This was an early influence. 

1640492558_Screenshot_20211016-093502_SamsungInternet-01.jpeg.5017b6c99cc83944ed4f44a3dcdc33fd.jpeg

I must see if I still have it lurking. 

I shall place the C&HP in the relevant project queue then. 

Clearly, I  just need (!) a J94 now................

Rob. 

I think this is one of Geraint’s early layouts preceeding Middlepeak. 
I’ve got J94’s by Dapol, Hornby and DJM to test out …I’ll let you know if any of them actually work. 
Jay 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Geraint (Middlepeak) is building a P4 model of Friden, documented here:

Great minds and all that…

Seriously though, when he says “I wanted something that would allow shunting of trains and if possible more 'main line' stock, but retained the High Peak theme”, that’s exactly what I was trying to get across.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Incidentally, Shallcross Yard at the Whaley Bridge end of the C&HP is another prototype that struck me as having potential for a “shunting layout with big engines” - 8Fs, Austerities and even Royal Scots!

I’ve had the same thought - just a simple loop with a couple of sidings and a scenic break formed by an over bridge. 
Jay

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Incidentally, Shallcross Yard at the Whaley Bridge end of the C&HP is another prototype that struck me as having potential for a “shunting layout with big engines” - 8Fs, Austerities and even Royal Scots!

Yep, that's one I've also got in the future projects folder, although it's not the usual sparse and open subject that Rob does so well, it's quite enclosed and if you were to remain faithful to the prototype you would need to include the surrounding walls and buildings, including a gasometer, I think.

Al.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JustinDean said:

The cogs going apace Rob?

This is the view looking away from the transfer shed towards the incline back to C&HPR. This part of Whaley was entirely horse worked I understand.

Almost certainly. Judging from the "six-foot" being smaller than the "4-foot" either side of it, there'd be no chance of using a loco any bigger than a Lister Rail Truck....

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, JustinDean said:

I’ve got J94’s by Dapol, Hornby and DJM to test out …I’ll let you know if any of them actually work. 

I use Dapol, Hornby and DJM J94s on Ladmanlow.

The Hornby ones are just a warmed-over version of the Dapol ones, same chassis and running gear. My example of the DJM is OK, I haven't had any of the reported binding issues with it, but I had to rip out the DCC socket and rewire it, as it was poorly soldered and worked only intermittently, so I hardwired the sound decoder instead, which also freed up some space.

I can't remember what the DCC decoder in it is, but it was a pig to set up, and even after tweaking a load of CVs it still won't run slowly, whereas the Dapol / Hornby chassis with an ESU Loksound DCC chip fitted (non of them are DCC ready, so hardwired again) will run really slowly and smoothly if kept clean and lubricated.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Alister_G said:

My example of the DJM is OK

Hi Al,

I'd be really interested to know if the loco splits up into discreet body and chassis portions, or whether it's 'more complicated', please!

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Hi Al,

I'd be really interested to know if the loco splits up into discreet body and chassis portions, or whether it's 'more complicated', please!

B53998DC-E850-4233-89CE-045A2DFBB9D9.jpeg.d9ac65626090a957b07871c13430b4d8.jpeg

The core chassis and body do part, the motor stays in the body…

The motor leads need unsoldering from the top of the tower (if the wires are long enough) otherwise it’s cutting them. :unsure:
Boiler and cab are separate items but glued at cab front. They’re fixed to the footplate with screws. Mine had such poor hardware in them the screw heads were damaged as they were so soft. You may need a potty mouth swearing jar on the bench when taking it apart. On the plus side you’ll be fabulously wealthy afterwards.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Hi Al,

As ably answered by @PMP it theoretically does split as shown, but it's a painful process.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

"The cab was removed,  glazing reattached and then all was reassembled."

and with one bound he was free.......the 08 cab is IIRC a little interesting to remove?

Morning Chris,

Suffice to say that a little bit of head scratching was involved. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

A reminder on my phone has just reminded me that I would have been heading to Taunton after work to exhibit Bleat Wharf at the Taunton Railex this weekend............

• Friendly/supportive 13

10 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Another Bachmann 08 has joined the expanding diseasal collection. 

I now have three of them: all green livery, green with wasp stripes and one in green Freightliner livery.

Guess which one is out of time frame, go on! :lol:

I’ve not had running issues with any of them - all three are quiet and silky smooth runner and seem to ignore obstacles to good running like dead frog points or dirty track!

Saying that, the do seem prone to damage to the handrails and to lose their cab steps.

All three of mine were picked up secondhand off eBay (I don’t think I’ve paid more than £60 for any of them)

Looking forward to any C&HPR inspired developments, Rob - I’ve been bitten by that bug too!

Steve S

• Like 8

I do like the 08s (and by extension, all the 350hp shunters) and I think yours look right at home on Bleat Wharf (?).

Its got me toying around with trying to justify that Class 3/7 on Alsop, despite it only being trialled on the Buxton to Friden trip and not on the Ashbourne extension…

No! I need to stop doing this! I’m already trying to justify running a Jinty 3F and a Ivatt Flying Pig on a layout of a line where they didn’t run and which hasn’t even got any track laid yet!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Just found this post...

image.png.24e8edaa14d3c1e03b08ff892eefbd31.png

No one likes a grass..........

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2