• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

As an aside........and this in now way should be regarded as leading anywhere.......much....

Would any of you learned types know of any fundamental visual differences between a Class 10 shunter and a Class 08 shunter ? 

Which brings me to............

One presumes that it would not be as simple as renumbering an early 08.....it never is but thought I would ask. 

Doubtless there are people out there who could tell the difference, but I am not one of them.

One of those who can tell the difference is Colin Marsden and he wrote a book about it (The Diesel Shunter) - https://www.abebooks.co.uk/Diesel-Shunter-Colin-J-Marsden-OPC/30771141257/bd?cm_mmc=ggl-_-UK_Shopp_Tradestandard-_-product_id=UK9780860935797USED-_-keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiNSLBhCPARIsAKNS4_f2QZm4xGuI-fWBYVAa1OzEMtSrgkFiLej8626ytxeL4x_Gr_Fu8UcaAmAwEALw_wcB (try not to be put off by the second-hand price, I feel sure one could obtain a copy cheaper elsewhere!)

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

As an aside........and this in now way should be regarded as leading anywhere.......much....

Would any of you learned types know of any fundamental visual differences between a Class 10 shunter and a Class 08 shunter ? 

One presumes that it would not be as simple as renumbering an early 08.....it never is but thought I would ask. 

There is very little visual difference between an 08 & a 10, most of the differences were internal. EE engine & transmission in an 08 against Lister/Blackstone engine and GEC transmission in a 10.

All of the Class 10's had gone before TOPS number were applied (presumably because they were none standard)

Numbers were 13137-13151 (later D3117-D3151); D3439-D3453; D3473-D3502; D3612-D3651; D4049-D4094.

Source : British Rail Fleet Survey - 7 Diesel Shunters by Brain Haresnape.

Edited by Moxy
Spelling mistake
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Indeed. 

I am some 4hrs 12 mins away from my next 'accident'.............

I nearly had one Friday night with a pair of Derek Munday LSWR Cattle vans.  I lost out on a Branchlines Ironclad detailing kit when it went over what I could get one new from Brian.  So I thought what the hell, thankfully my grey squelchy thing near my eyes said "STOP FORREST".

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Sir!, Sir!, Is it two sir?

08’s et al are a bit of a detail minefield as your research (I feel soiled now), has undoubtedly shown.

Bachy 08 detail variants OTTOMH…

early full hinged bonnet/body 

later small hinged bonnet/body 

RHS Looking forward from cab exhauster box on forward end of running plate/or not. 

full cabinet set on LHS running plates

Cab

early with wood door, rectangular door windows and small cab side windows.

rectangular door windows and large cab side windows.

late steel door larger windows rounded corners  and large cab side windows.

In the earlier liveries Bachmann have been good at appropriate matches of detail/livery. Probably easiest path is determine detail variant you have and then look for suitable numbers to match. The construction of the Bachmann model means you can cab/body swap to get other variants. The chassis is good for all liveries/variants. HTH.

Edited by PMP
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

Class 10s have slightly different handrails  at the front and hinge arrangement on the bodyside.

I have to admit I left the doors alone on my Hornby version,  can't remember if they are correct or not, mine is in a box at the moment.  As others have said,  most of the differences were internal. 

I created a class 10 because they were quite common on the M&GN after passenger services finished. 

I hope to have an 08 running soon. 

Martyn

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A quick look at the OPC book indicates that you could do class 10 :-

13117. You need a long hinge, small door window, large cab window version

EAF35B78-6F20-4306-9605-1EBD175A06F0.jpeg.60cb67517e471d8487eca5ef2c951c9c.jpeg

1F225B28-8DD8-4F5B-8530-580B25228868.jpeg.fdc321113b6e9e0f3b96d2670514a262.jpeg

D4047

small hinge, large round corner cab doors, large cab windows 

534BBA79-4DD9-484A-8246-B55A833215A1.jpeg.f8a0609352e57ed03a4120bac7f4ded2.jpeg

83642F4F-B5D5-4FC7-A503-795106CB4413.jpeg.255f843eed28991b8a20427a44210874.jpeg

I can’t tell if  either/both of the locos had both exhauster boxes  or omitted the RHS exhauster box (see lowest pic). Such is the minefield of 08 detail/era variations. Someone will know though…

Edited by PMP
Add pix
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Doubtless there are people out there who could tell the difference, but I am not one of them.

One of those who can tell the difference is Colin Marsden and he wrote a book about it (The Diesel Shunter) - https://www.abebooks.co.uk/Diesel-Shunter-Colin-J-Marsden-OPC/30771141257/bd?cm_mmc=ggl-_-UK_Shopp_Tradestandard-_-product_id=UK9780860935797USED-_-keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiNSLBhCPARIsAKNS4_f2QZm4xGuI-fWBYVAa1OzEMtSrgkFiLej8626ytxeL4x_Gr_Fu8UcaAmAwEALw_wcB (try not to be put off by the second-hand price, I feel sure one could obtain a copy cheaper elsewhere!)

searching on Bookfinder.com   showed the "history" hardback at similar prices (£100+) but also a " Pictorial Record Of The Diesel Shunter" under £10 which may be more use for authentic distressing

just a  thought!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/10/2021 at 21:26, NHY 581 said:

20211021_211047-01.jpeg.24c78864029502d69da259440792d149.jpeg

And there we have it. 

Pleased Sheep. 

You have here, early long hinge, no exhauster box, early cab wooden door, small cab windows . A quick look at your wasp stripe one shows it’s the same detail variant. (Liveries correct for both)

Edited by PMP
Addition
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The doors with the small windows are/were made of wood (recess in panel), those with large windows, of steel (flush panel).

AIUI, what locos had which largely aligned with build dates and/or where they were built.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DonB said:

searching on Bookfinder.com   showed the "history" hardback at similar prices (£100+) but also a " Pictorial Record Of The Diesel Shunter" under £10 which may be more use for authentic distressing

just a  thought!

I don't have both, just an original 1981 edition of the Pictorial Record. Mine has a blue dust cover rather than the brown ones in the ads but the same photos.

I'm not entirely convinced the expensive one isn't just a retitled reprint from a subsequent owner of OPC.

There have been a few examples of this practice affecting various publishers, and I've been caught out a couple of times, though not as expensively as this could turn out.:unsure: 

If anybody does have both, it would be useful to know for sure.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I don't have both, (just an original 1981 edition of the Pictorial Record) but I'm not entirely convinced the expensive one isn't just a reprint retitled by a subsequent owner of OPC.

There have been a few examples of this practice affecting various publishers, and I've been caught out a couple of times, though not as expensively as this could turn out.:unsure: 

If anybody does have both, it would be useful to know for sure.

John

I hav both and it is not a reprint. Some of the content (but my quick look suggests not much) - particularly the earlier prototypes  -reappears in the later version but they do look very different.

Chris

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I hav both and it is not a reprint. Some of the content (but my quick look suggests not much) - particularly the earlier prototypes  -reappears in the later version but they do look very different.

Chris

It also looks as if some of the photos repeated in the newer volume have been "improved"

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Indeed. 

I am some 4hrs 12 mins away from my next 'accident'.............

Oh dear................

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Do share with the class...

7 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Is that a good or bad ‘oh dear’?

Um........Imighthavejustboughtanotherlocobyaccident................

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

The kind of accident where you had 4 hours and 12 minutes to consider it. Excellent! Go on then…what is it?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Which is about as convincing an admission as:

Um........Imighthavejustbangedyoursisterbyaccident................

Although the "accidental" loco purchase is not going to get you into as much trouble...

Or is it? 

Edited by MrWolf
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JustinDean said:

The kind of accident where you had 4 hours and 12 minutes to consider it. Excellent! Go on then…what is it?

Well..........it's fair to say I had sufficient notice to take avoiding action................

It's a......um..........green boxy thing......

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Well..........it's fair to say I had sufficient notice to take avoiding action................

I look forward to the grand reveal Rob. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I'm "watching" a big blue boxy thing at the moment...I'm resisting but its on sale by a loco preservation group.....so that's just like giving to charity......isn't it?

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Red box = Hornby or older Dapol

Blue box = Bachmann or Heljan or Dapol

Don't know who uses green boxes though... :pardon_mini: