21 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That was my point, as a nationalised industry, the government of whichever persuasion could bleed the railways dry whilst they had to fight for enough investment just to stay in business. 

Which is one reason why the former Soviet Union was in such a mess in the 1990s.

But the railways were never denationalised, they just franchised it out, ultimately the Government still paid subsidies where required and collected monies on the profitable bits.

What changed was political will, it had to be seen that 'privatisation' was working and the monies being lent I understand would be off the books of Government borrowing so palatable.

Regardless of words and deeds by various governments, the fact that the current main intercity train is the IEP, a DFT procured train to replace the HST, demonstrates where the ultimate control of the railways remained.

• Like 3

Marvelous collection of your achievements. It's probably time for me to give up and try another hobby, like golf or stamp collecting or bus spotting....:wacko:

On second thoughts, I'll stick with being inspired instead....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It might seem a retrograde step, but with modern logistics organisation, a lot of traffic and pollution could be taken off the roads by reopening goods yards and forwarding from there in electric vans / 7.5 tonners the last couple of miles to the destination.

It might even create some jobs and revenue for the railways.

Though I doubt that many that were closed in the sixties and seventies still exist in a form that would make a rail revival practicable.

Most such sites will have long ago disappeared underneath housing, light industrial or retail redevelopment schemes.

John

• Agree 4

6 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Though I doubt that many that were closed in the sixties and seventies still exist in a form that would make a rail revival practicable.

Most such sites will have long ago disappeared underneath housing, light industrial or retail redevelopment schemes.

John

Exactly. Very short sighted, given the already known issues of finite resources and pollution from road traffic.

I do not wish to turn Rob's thread into a political debate, as far as I am concerned, there's no party worth a vote and nothing will change, unless it fills someone's pockets in the short term.

Peace

Out.

;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

key sites were sold off for development with undue haste, preventing any future changes of direction

One such location in Cornwall was Drump Lane yard near Camborne, which I think was closed in 1986, so before my BR tenure in that part of the world, but it was fairly sizable and may well have been a better option for the supermarket traffic than Truro Yard.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Happy 500 pages Rob. 
Here’s a lovely photo of Shallcross on the Northern part of the C&HPR - right up your street I reckon. 

Jay

D34E99C9-876C-4FB1-B1AC-48AD7397C262.jpeg

Well, that's rather inspiring. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Easy tiger...

Quite. 

I need to progress/finish Project X before gravitating to Project Y. 

Edited by NHY 581
Over excited and felt sick.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

As I have mentioned before, the C&HPR is an itch that really needs scratching at some point.............

• Friendly/supportive 7

5 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

As I have mentioned before, the C&HPR is an itch that really needs scratching at some point.............

Careful talking about itches, otherwise it will be the dip for ewe...

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

I do like that plan. Go for it Rob!

Best wishes,

Nick.

Oh dear...................

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Here's my starting point for a C&HP inspired daliance......rubbish image but you should get my drift. 

20211028_213052-01.jpeg.2b068322b490f2ce4e7727864bc481c1.jpeg

Iain Rice's Hepton Wharf. Plan taken from his Creating Cameo layouts, an ' essential books on the bookshelf' book

I would extend the scenic area to the left. I'm not a fan of having the end of a loop off stage as it were. I would also dispense with the storage sidings to the rear and possibly increase the curve to the track bed L to R. 

Mmmmmmm..............

Rob. 

High Bleat has a nice ring to it................

• Like 6
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Oh, just spotted this, it may be helpful, it may not?

Whether Alert.jpg

Too late..........it's been  lashing it down. Paused now but more to come. Fortunately, I live on a hill. If I am at risk of flooding then the rainfall is at biblical proportions and we're off to the Ark with the two cats. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2