Once you drive through the forest above Corwen, you could mistake a lot of things for 1955.

Knowing such things and having worked on some little jobs at Dinorwig hydroelectric station, some of us have still done silly things like the Dragon Rally. :wacko:

• Like 3

What? Avoid Llandudno? And miss the opportunity to do as others before have done, to ride to the top of the Great Orme tramway and spell out rude words across the mountain using piles of white rocks across the green grass?

(A good way to slip and sprain one's ankle by the way....)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Yes, I avoid Llandudno, have a friend who lives there, he was a bad influence in my youth, got me interested in rebuilding cars for racing, not successfully at all !

In the 50s I did walk the track bed of the Corris and found a track spike which resided as a paper weight on my Desk at work for many years.... wonder what happened to it?  Yes it was a grey day, not warm, and it rained on the walk back, followed by a very wet motorbike ride home . Only advantage was there was nothing to spend money on which was just as well 'cos I didn't have any.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Last time we went to Llandudno, there was some chump on a brand new Vespa done up like a carnival float riding up and down the seafront, hoping to get noticed.

Couldn't resist yelling "Bell boy!!" at him.

If he'd been kosher and riding a proper vintage Lambretta, I'd probably have bought him a pint.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Could be worse, could be Rhyl. Which I think is the Welsh word for hell.

Still is.

Being North Walian by birth, I miss the scenery. 

But not the traffic jams.

Dad worked at Dinorwic for a few months. He was inside during a minor earthquake, not the best situation with several thousand tons of water above you.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I can sympathize with your dad, if you were in the breaker tunnels when one of them went, it was louder than a gunshot, ear defenders were next to useless.

I do miss the old coast road that went through the tunnel at Penmaenmawr. I bet Arwen Evans' garage is long gone too 

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

Nice, though.

Can be. Depends where one is. 

Beddgelert is a particular favourite. Spent a nice afternoon in a pub thereat with a nice roaring fire therein, with Old Tom...............several Old Toms in fact which made for an amusing walk back and a shorter than anticipated evening...........

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
Just now, NHY 581 said:

Can be. Depends where one is. 

There's something very appealing about the dank, damp atmosphere of a rain-soaked North Wales forest, tramping about looking for evidence of a disused railway, hoping to find something before the light goes and you retire to the pub.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

There's something very appealing about the dank, damp atmosphere of a rain-soaked North Wales forest, tramping about looking for evidence of a disused railway, hoping to find something before the light goes and you retire to the pub.

Given it is getting harder to see old railway lines now as nature and human land forming take over, do you find you spend more time retired to the pub these days?

• Funny 5

Spent many happy hours in wet Welsh forests, usually in the early hours of the morning, waiting to get showered in wet Welsh gravel by a passing sideways rally car. And occasionally jumping into water filled roadside ditches to help push one out when sideways became backwards into the scenery....

Happy days....!!!

Keith

Edited by keefr2
Speelingg
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I real!y like that Hepton Wharf plan, it's something I always think of my version set in East Anglia/Essex, hope I get round to building it some day. 

i'm sure if you used it you would do it justice.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On 30/10/2021 at 07:05, sb67 said:

I real!y like that Hepton Wharf plan, it's something I always think of my version set in East Anglia/Essex, hope I get round to building it some day. 

i'm sure if you used it you would do it justice.

Internet_20211109_051539_2.jpeg.1b73690e383ce837591303da2c614e35.jpeg

The more I look at it, the more it appeals. 

It definately lends itself to a curved site. Trackwork to the far right could gently continue around. 

As is no doubt readily evident, I generally do things by eye and in the case of this plan, I probably wouldn't settle on the final look of the layout until laying the track onto the board. 

I'm basically incapable of planning and need to see things in situ. It's at that point it comes together. Perhaps I lack imagination but it's how I work. 

Hopefully, I  can restart Project X shortly....

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

20211028_213052-01.jpeg.f34b985d1852234948f809e9839b55a5.jpeg

The more I look at it, the more it appeals. 

It definately lends itself to a curved site. Trackwork to the far right could gently continue around. 

As is no doubt readily evident, I generally do things by eye and in the case of this plan, I probably wouldn't settle on the final look of the layout until laying the track onto the board. 

I'm basically incapable of planning and need to see things in situ. It's at that point it comes together. Perhaps I lack imagination but it's how I work. 

Hopefully, I  can restart Project X shortly....

Rob. 

Are there any dimensions listed for that plan? (I can't find anywhere with the book in stock...)

I've got a 5' by 18" baseboard kicking around that's just crying out for a cameo layout...

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

There's something very appealing about the dank, damp atmosphere of a rain-soaked North Wales forest

If it wasn’t damp and rain-soaked I don’t think Wales would be quite as beautiful a place

8E06D8A9-4013-44F7-B58E-9AC592AA10DC.jpeg.ceb1ca66fd9582a3ba2bca2b9366cc45.jpeg

Although too much rain does sometimes spoil the view

E3DD8538-4FBF-4A05-8BD4-356E18BA750B.jpeg.19bc3192f4af86afe3e7793724d6b2f6.jpeg

:rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Nick C said:

Are there any dimensions listed for that plan? (I can't find anywhere with the book in stock...)

I've got a 5' by 18" baseboard kicking around that's just crying out for a cameo layout...

I've had a look in the book and to quote Ricey, "3ft 6in sans fiddle yard".

I also found a Scottish £5 I'd been using as a bookmark.

@Not Jeremy is a reprint on the cards Simon?

Edited by Tim Dubya
Godiva
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2