• RMweb Gold

As I've recently mentioned on my thread, I took the coward's way out and simply removed the jackshaft cranks altogether, there's no visible impact as on my 03 there's a grille behind the steps, covering them from view.

Al.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

As I've recently mentioned on my thread, I took the coward's way out and simply removed the jackshaft cranks altogether, there's no visible impact as on my 03 there's a grille behind the steps, covering them from view.

Al.

Hi Al. 

Not sure how the cranks are attached with the later chassis but I have added a thin smear of thread lock onto the screw holding the crank on. This allows me to back it off slightly without fear of it disappearing.......hopefully...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Al. 

Not sure how the cranks are attached with the later chassis but I have added a thin smear of thread lock onto the screw holding the crank on. This allows me to back it off slightly without fear of it disappearing.......hopefully...

The problem on mine was that even with the body off, the motion would lock up when the coupling rod and crank were in line, and with the crank at the rearmost position the coupling rod was bending slightly under compression - almost as though it was slightly too long. I checked the seating of the coupling rod crank pins, and all seemed correct, it just wouldn't run smoothly, so I took the cranks off altogether.

Al.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Alister_G said:

The problem on mine was that even with the body off, the motion would lock up when the coupling rod and crank were in line, and with the crank at the rearmost position the coupling rod was bending slightly under compression - almost as though it was slightly too long. I checked the seating of the coupling rod crank pins, and all seemed correct, it just wouldn't run smoothly, so I took the cranks off altogether.

Al.

Al, 

Are the wheels properly quartered? 

I only mention this, though far from expert at such things, as I found just a tweak out on one wheel of the 04 would cause the same issue. Once adjusted, all was free and the running smoothed out. 

Just a thought...  

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Al, 

Are the wheels properly quartered? 

I only mention this, though far from expert at such things, as I found just a tweak out on one wheel of the 04 would cause the same issue. Once adjusted, all was free and the running smoothed out. 

Just a thought...  

Rob. 

Thanks Rob,

I'll take another look, quartering never crossed my mind.

Al.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I have just the station building for such a project..........

20210228_114907-01.jpeg.9df9ffaedf4f7541f5725d557226814b.jpeg

Whilst inspiration could come from one of Chris Nevards layouts. 

Here's a couple of his photos. 4ft x 1ft apparently. 

1429312506_Screenshot_20210211-021514_SamsungInternet-01.jpeg.46c727f014d97da058161a3d43c2ed31.jpeg

995558692_Screenshot_20210211-020727_SamsungInternet-02.jpeg.1b8e10e8f20b47b05fb5f1a350915096.jpeg

That building would certainly fit the bill. As for inspiration the layout looks stunning, all in 4ftx1ft. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Interesting set up, like some full scale automaton. There's a brickworks not far from us that is still running an overhead ropeway that is apparently the last one in the country.

As for your ban, you have to remember that if you want to speak your mind, your opinions have to comply with those of the thought police.

Or be an extremely wealthy retiree, so that nobody can put a stick in your wheel. :D

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Interesting set up, like some full scale automaton. There's a brickworks not far from us that is still running an overhead ropeway that is apparently the last one in the country.

As for your ban, you have to remember that if you want to speak your mind, your opinions have to comply with those of the thought police.

Or be an extremely wealthy retiree, so that nobody can put a stick in your wheel. :D

This one? 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

That's the one, Claughton brickworks, alongside the former Lancaster Green Aire to Wennington Junction line.

Interesting video there, normally when we pass it we're too busy dodging dropped manhole covers and watching out for lorries turning  to be looking up at it too much!

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Alternatively, why not use Artistic Gobbledeegook to say the same thing but flummox them at the same time?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

The 03 fleet continues to grow............but three is enough. These were all Cambridge locos at some point in their careers and I am grateful for the efforts behind the compiling of the BR Database, 

https://www.brdatabase.info/

from which the following data is drawn;

D2028.

02/10/1958. To service as British Railways Number 2028
Built at Swindon Works
Allocated to Cambridge (31A)  

07/11/1964.

Reallocated to New England (34E)  

21/08/1965.

Reallocated to Stratford (30A)  

28/05/1966.

Reallocated to Bournemouth (70F)

D2016

18/03/1958. To Service as British Railways Number 2016
Built at Swindon Works

10/05/1958.

Reallocated to South Lynn (31D)  

07/03/1959.

Reallocated to Cambridge (31A)  

12/11/1960.

Reallocated to March (31B)  

23/02/1963.

Reallocated to Cambridge (31A)  

01/01/1973.

Renumbered to 03016

D2009 is en route. 

12/02/1958. To Service as British Railways Number 2009
Built at Swindon Works

25/11/1972.

Reallocated to Colchester (30E)

Therefore, all East Anglian locos and all associates until November 1964.

I'm not normally taken with such things but it's nice to know. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Leaves
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

So, were any 03's or other tiny diseasels allocated to Devon or Cornwall?

I think so, in a rather non-specific, unartistic and somewhat wimpy way, without being able to be too specific about it. I'm sure I vaguely remember seeing some photos in a book somewhere at some time, perhaps but not necessarily not that long ago, if that makes sense?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

So, were any 03's or other tiny diseasels allocated to Devon or Cornwall?

I think I'm in love with these tiddlers (as alluded to last night, back up there).

According to the page linked to above, yes: https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=3&type=D&page=alloc

D2127 to D2132, D2182, D2183 all spent time at some combination of Newton Abbot, Laira, Exeter & St Blazey. Of the Drewrys, 11227-9 all started life at Plymouth Friary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

There is a published photo somewhere - which I can't yet run to earth among my books - of some of the  SR 204hp shunters arriving somewhere in the Plymouth area, probably in the vicinity of Friary.  one was definitely used on Turnchapel branch freight trips and presumably they replaced Friary's B4s.  Further information about the SR allocation can be found, with a photo of one of them, at the foot of this page -

https://www.oldplymouth.uk/Railways-Friary Engine Shed.htm

There are, from later years,  published pictures of D2177 and D2134 working in the Plymouth area.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

There's a picture of D2134 in 1971, in the Esso oil depot off the Cattewater branch in "Plymouth's hidden railways" - but that's one with the bigger 'chimmey' exhaust.

Same book shows 11228 (class 04, big chimney) in 1961 in the timber yard on the Turnchapel branch and another unidentified 03 (stovepipe chimney) somewhere on the branch in the 60s.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4