• RMweb Premium

The caption with the photo of the 05 & sand wagons - the photo is different in my copy - states that it was a new block working of Pointers sand going to Beddington road on the south for motorway construction, the 14 wagons a heavy load of wet sand for such a small loco, and says December 1964. I wonder if these double door wagons had thus been allocated to this working. ISTR that there was a diagram from Ipswich for a pair of class 15's to work a sand train from Beccles in the morning and a transfer freight to March in the afternoon. So I guess the 05 worked it to Beccles, the 15's to Ipswich, with another loco/s taking it onwards south.

The Heljan 05 model is of course different to those that worked in East Anglia. It is the later version with different/larger cab and larger wheels among other aspects and only found in the North & Scotland. The GE area ones were the first batch and could be seen in Ipswich docks alongside a smaller 4-wheel version. The latter had side skirts and cow catchers like the Y6/J70's. I don't think, but not sure, if they ever went to Wisbech. If you can find a copy British Rail Fleet Survey 7 Diesel Shunters - Brian Haresnape/Ian Allan is useful for lots of info on all these early diesel shunters.

Bob

• Informative/Useful 6

1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

Cow catchers are used in the Wiki, Wiki, Wild, Wild West, so is that for sheeps?

Screenshot_20211107-182852-813.png.67c77444774bebce34adea5f5713f108.png

The racket made by that Commer lorry's supercharged two stroke engine would have scared off the sheep long before the train got there anyway.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, mullie said:

Also in 'First Generation Diesels in East Anglia, near Ingoldthorpe Hall.

artyn

I've just ordered a copy...

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Six out of the seven wagons in the train of that type, too, whereas they usually only cropped up in ones and twos. That suggests to me that they had been gathered together for a specific load to which the cupboard doors were particularly suited. Sugar beet, perhaps? 

Six wagons, out of only 7,000 built (there were a quarter of a million dia. 1/108, by comparison) turning up in one place at the same time, just has to be more than coincidence...

John

. As you say they appeared infrequently due to the relatively small number in service, so this train was undoubtedly formed of them for a specific requirement. In pre-tops days I think capturing this number for a particular train would have been a challenge in itself. The Parkside kit is one of their older releases but does make up into a nice and different wagon.

Edited by PMP
Removal of text
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

Sliver Fox Models do a resin kit for the earlier style class 05 which fits on the latest Bachmann 03 chassis. They also build the kits to order in either original black or BR green liveries.

I now live about 1/4 mile from the location of the Ditchingham photo, but even the chickens that inhabited the A143 roundabout have now gone. There was heavy use of the line during WWII due to the number of primarily USAAF airbases in the immediate area and this continued in to the 50's after the sparse passenger service was withdrawn. The line is covered in depth in the Lightmoor Press book 'The Waveney Valley Railway' by Peter Paye.

Little remains of the site except for a road still named 'Station Road'. After the maltings burnt down they were replaced by apartments built in a similar style as the original building as it is within one of the two conservation areas in the village. The sand & gravel pits are now a nature area and good for walks, fishing etc.

Both the 'Memories of Norfolk's Old Railways & Stations' Facebook group and the equivalent one for Suffolk contain many useful images and one of the few bits of Farcebook I bother with these days

Edited by vaughan45
Grammar
  • Informative/Useful 5

On 06/11/2021 at 23:26, NHY 581 said:

Evening all. 

A little later than anticipated but job done. 

This was the view from 'the office'

20211106_184400.jpg

You were in the Gods I was there as well

but did not see any of the match as I was in a First Aid post on Level 3

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, mozzer models said:

You were in the Gods I was there as well

but did not see any of the match as I was in a First Aid post on Level 3

Blimey! Wish I'd known, Brian, I'd have popped in for a cuppa. 

I'm working the Fiji game mind you. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Oddly enough, the expression 'own goal' refers to the spillage of luke-warm tea down the front of one's shirt.

Would that also explain "dribble"...?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5