• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Ramblin Rich said:

I do like the thinned down, hook removed tension lock - would a simple wire loop work as well, or is this just to retain the NEM pocket fitting?

Don't encourage him....

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

I do like the thinned down, hook removed tension lock - would a simple wire loop work as well, or is this just to retain the NEM pocket fitting?

Evening Ramblers, 

Thanks for the encouragement.  

I've retained the NEM Pocket for convenience. I'm going to do the rear TL as well. 

First impressions are that it works fine. More shunting required methinks.....

Rob. 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I'm yet to set up and give it a whirl. I have located a couple of chips to pop into two locos to see how it goes and will of course report back in due course. 

:locomotive::yahoo:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/11/2021 at 06:31, NHY 581 said:

a spare NCE system to try for myself

Rob

I do have some bad news.....performance of the DCC system will be better if you "re*d th* inst**ct*ons"......sorry....(not all of them obviously)

Chris

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Rob

I do have some bad news.....performance of the DCC system will be better if you "re*d th* inst**ct*ons"......sorry....(not all of them obviously)

Chris

Morning Chris, 

I'll get the Memsahib to do it. She's the first point of contact for anything to do with that sort of thing. 

Rob. 

• Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Chris, 

I'll get the Memsahib to do it. She's the first point of contact for anything to do with that sort of thing. 

Rob. 

Good move, if it all goes up in smoke you can't be blamed for it !  :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

7 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Chris, 

Rob. 

Mine is the go to for analysing fault finding sequences in manuals. Female logic is the only thing capable of making sense of even Haynes manuals.

Of course, if it goes wrong, it's still your fault, you are the one executing the given instruction.

Also if a man concedes an argument and admits that the woman is right...

Is he still wrong?

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Chris, 

Rob. 

How's that going to work out when you run your DCC workshop at SWAG? Plans must already be afoot....or so I've heard..

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

How's that going to work out when you run your DCC workshop at SWAG? Plans must already be afoot....or so I've heard..

Oh dear.......I can barely tie my shoe laces

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

I'll dig out the manual....

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Oh dear.......I can barely tie my shoe laces

Take your time Rob, you can't really mess things up too much and there is always a "get out route" with decoder settings once you get to that stage, in the mean time enjoy the new experience.

G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

@NHY 581 if you’ve not got a set of rollers, track not hair, a circle of 3rd radius is a good starting point for learning basic DCC skills. This can become your ‘program track’ and a simple test track to get your head round how the loco reacts to control inputs.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, bgman said:

Take your time Rob, you can't really mess things up too much and there is always a "get out route" with decoder settings once you get to that stage, in the mean time enjoy the new experience.

G

Damn! If only you could tie your shoelaces with DCC when I was a kid as it did take me a little while to learn. :mocking_mini:

I'll get my coat... :bye:

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PMP said:

@NHY 581 if you’ve not got a set of rollers, track not hair, a circle of 3rd radius is a good starting point for learning basic DCC skills. This can become your ‘program track’ and a simple test track to get your head round how the loco reacts to control inputs.

Thanks ,Paul. 

I'm starting to understand the basics, ish.  This whole DCC thingy has come at quite an opportune moment, what with Project X being at the point that it is. 

Regarding the program track, I'm in the process of re-assessing the fiddle yard anyway and could place a stand alone length of track here for that purpose. 

However, the idea of a separate circle of track is good. I have just such a thing used for running in/ testing locos and as things are at present, the NCE power cab as kindly loaned by Chris H  is 'mobile' so I can plug it in anywhere. That said, a set of rollers is also on the cards. It would seem to be easy enough to make them dual DC/DCC  compatable. 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Thanks ,Paul. 

I'm starting to understand the basics, ish.  This whole DCC thingy has come at quite an opportune moment, what with Project X being at the point that it is. 

Regarding the program track, I'm in the process of re-assessing the fiddle yard anyway and could place a stand alone length of track here for that purpose. 

However, the idea of a separate circle of track is good. I have just such a thing used for running in/ testing locos and as things are at present, the NCE power cab as kindly loaned by Chris H  is 'mobile' so I can plug it in anywhere. That said, a set of rollers is also on the cards. It would seem to be easy enough to make them dual DC/DCC  compatable. 

Rob

For your purposes Rob, I think the provision of a separate programming track is more than you need: as you will normally only have one-engine-in-steam, as it were, then "progamming-on-the-main" is sufficient. If you had a big layout with lots of locos, then a programming track is a safeguard against applying settings to the wrong loco, but if you only have one loco sitting on the layout it's not necessary.

And I would heartily recommend getting a set of rollers, using them means you can set speed settings and other DCC things without fear of the loco suddenly making a dive for freedom off the end of your track, plus you can run new locos in for extended periods without it going anywhere. The rollers just rest on top of a straight piece of track, so will work equally well for DC and DCC, no fiddling required.

ladmanlow1845.jpg.8b3404c7d758909f833f5eff86740d32.jpg

Al.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

For your purposes Rob, I think the provision of a separate programming track is more than you need: as you will normally only have one-engine-in-steam, as it were, then "progamming-on-the-main" is sufficient. If you had a big layout with lots of locos, then a programming track is a safeguard against applying settings to the wrong loco, but if you only have one loco sitting on the layout it's not necessary.

And I would heartily recommend getting a set of rollers, using them means you can set speed settings and other DCC things without fear of the loco suddenly making a dive for freedom off the end of your track, plus you can run new locos in for extended periods without it going anywhere. The rollers just rest on top of a straight piece of track, so will work equally well for DC and DCC, no fiddling required.

ladmanlow1845.jpg.8b3404c7d758909f833f5eff86740d32.jpg

Al.

Morning Al. 

Well explained, thank you. As I mentioned earlier, a set of rollers are on the list and have been for a little while actually. I've just never got round to it. You make perfect sense. 

I intend to keep this DCC marlarky sheep simple to start with. 

Rob.

Edited by NHY 581
Auto correct not sheep simple
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Well I disappear for a few weeks I come back and Rob has gone DCC whatever next.

So you've missed his Union Pacific inspired Gauge 1 live steam mainline in his garden then

Edited by woodenhead
spelling
  • Funny 17