• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Re6/6 showed me a pointy stick Kadee uncoupler the other day, just prod it down into the couplings and twist, most ingenious!

Morning CK.

In Wales we use a 'pokey stick' but I  have seen these in action. Very good indeed. 

Of Kadees, more in due course. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

I am really disappointed in Ikea, to make their baseboards a tad too short leading to a potential Woefully Extruded Teetering Fiddle Area Re-shuffling Table.

Pity there was not video of your Jack Douglas impression.

I would be concerned repeated P.I.S.S. may slacken the holes, you don't want your locos reliant on solid P.I.S.S.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Mange Tout, Wooders

Au Contraire, mon Cher. 

The IKEA base board department got it pretty much bang on. At 120cm x 40cm it's the right size to manouvere out of the Room of Doom and down stairs, either to work on or to take to an exhibition. 

The additional  Fiddle Area Re-shuffling Table Support will be take off and onable for transportation. However, the exact  arrangements have yet to be finalised and probably won't be until the backscene etc is decided upon and attached. I have a rough idea. 

The F.A.R.T.S seen in the images above  is for home use only. Additional F.A.R.T.S will be acquired from the Swedish F.A.R.T.S shop and this will hang off the end of the layout, probably with additional bracing to avoid drooping F.A.R.T.S which in turn will lead to a slack F.A.R.T. 

In addition, the F.A.R.T.S should not be  inclined as this could strain the F.A.R.T and lead to a questionable exit and without doubt a dubious entry. Neither of these present an agreeable outcome when exhibiting

I think that's cleared that up. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Missed f.
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I see that you are employing the same method I am to prevent the establishment of a rival bus service. 

That being a scale three hundred feet drop all around the railway. 

Quite but not without peril........the irony of an East Anglian layout or part thereof  coming to grief as a result of it's high altitude is not lost...

• Like 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

55 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

The F.A.R.T.S seen in the images above  is for home use only. Additional F.A.R.T.S will be acquired from the Swedish F.A.R.T.S shop and this will hang off the end of the layout, probably with additional bracing to avoid drooping F.A.R.T.S which in turn will lead to a slack F.A.R.T. 

In addition, the F.A.R.T.S should not be  inclined as this could strain the F.A.R.T and lead to a questionable exit and without doubt a dubious entry. Neither of these present an agreeable outcome when exhibiting

There is also another solution.....

Just lay a few of these below the area in question ! 

ta7112.jpg.c15a870171478071accfe54149d3621b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Mange Tout, Wooders

Au Contraire, mon Cher. 

The IKEA base board department got it pretty much bang on. At 120cm x 40cm it's the right size to manouvere out of the Room of Doom and down stairs, either to work on or to take to an exhibition. 

The additional  Fiddle Area Re-shuffling Table Support will be take off and onable for transportation. However, the exact  arrangements have yet to be finalised and probably won't be until the backscene etc is decided upon and attached. I have a rough idea. 

The Fiddle Area Re-shuffling Table can then itself be finalised. In the interim, if it appears one's holes are going slack through repeated use of P.I.S.S, then they can be cosmetically adjusted by adding a sleeve to take up said slack and prevent one's pin waggling about, thereby leading to a slack, wobbly F.A.R.T. 

Rob. 

Probably 

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Quite but not without peril........the irony of an East Anglian layout or part thereof  coming to grief as a result of it's high altitude is not lost...

At least unlike the prototype location it can't flood or disappear into the sea. 

If that is a concern, a surfboard would make an unusual lightweight baseboard perhaps?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

Moving swiftly on from yesterdays structural amendments to Project X, today will involve some small degree of reorganisation within the Room of Doom which has of late become a tad 'busy'. 

The danger of having one's interests contained within such a bijou space is that things can become overcrowded before you know it...........and before I knew it, things had become overcrowded. 

Therefore a spot of tidying is in order to offset a small degree of mayhem and chaos that has descended on the RoD. 

Updates will follow. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/p/58012/MR-204-MR-Rapido-LNER-Class-J70-Steam-Locomotive-number-68226?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=warley21

not tempted to return one to the fold?! All this deasial malarkey! £17.50 saving no connection usual disclaimer.

Be nice wun it…

You said you had a tiny regret of letting her go ;)

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/p/58012/MR-204-MR-Rapido-LNER-Class-J70-Steam-Locomotive-number-68226?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=warley21

not tempted to return one to the fold?! All this deasial malarkey! £17.50 saving no connection usual disclaimer.

Be nice wun it…

You said you had a tiny regret of letting her go ;)

Indeed Ade, 

But I'm content with the green boxy things to be honest.  When I was a spotter, I always enjoyed the 08's going about their stuff. That's not to say I wouldn't welcome a J70 or two but I can do without for now. 

I now see Project X as very much a stand alone layout. Own control system, stock and locos, including the fact that it's primarily now a diesel powered layout. 

I'm hoping to make a bit of progress with it next week. 

First exhibition a little over four months away, izzen nit, look ewe. 

R

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 27/11/2021 at 12:29, NHY 581 said:

Ahem.

Following the narrowest avoidance of a catastrophe of near biblical proportions, which featured something approximating to a Jack Douglas out take, a bit of work has been undertaken on the Fiddle Area Re-shuffling Table Mk 3.   Holes and brackets have been added to form the Pinned Intergrated Safety System or P.I.S.S for short, to prevent a reoccurrence. 

20211127_121033-01.jpeg.a8bc28849e8716fc5509882f2dda607c.jpeg

20211127_121114-01.jpeg.968df057776037474690d3daae403a6a.jpeg

I thank ewe. 

Found you an operator for Project X's first outing.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, durham light infantry said:

Found you an operator for Project X's first outing.

Good old Alf. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 27/11/2021 at 07:57, NHY 581 said:

Ah ! Roger that (!) 

As is/was/will be readily apparent I have gaps ( large !) in my knowledge of such things and this includes the later 80s. By 1985, I was pretty much done with watching the trains, as it were.  

As per recent 'developments',  I am only just clawing my way into the world of mid to late 60s diseasels.......

I was however, somewhat seduced by the class 24 on Sunday. Top loco. 

On that basis, I will probably end up with a Bachmann equivalent. D5036  was an East Anglian loco up until 1967 ish. Photos suggest it was certainly popping up on the Framlingham branch prior to that .......which will do. 

Incidentally, what are the preferences regarding Kadees on PMB, Chris. 

I know we chatted about the kadees but cannot remember discussing this. 

Reading various accounts, generally it seems to be #17 or #18. 

Rob. 

Rob,

The new Bachmann 24 is rather lovely, I picked a sound-fitted version one myself a couple of weeks ago, and the quality and finish is second to none. Not familiar with the SLW version but it’s certainly high-end to this modeller. 

If you’re after a good deal, MRD have the non-sound version you’re after in the sale - https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/locomotive-diesel-electric/Bachmann-32-415-class-24-0-d5036-disc-headcode-br-green-small-yellow-panels/

No connection, but £125 in the current market is a bargain, and I bought my one from there too. 

My apologies to your bank account if you decide to go ahead! Look forward to seeing further developments on Project X.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, NXEA! said:

Rob,

The new Bachmann 24 is rather lovely, I picked a sound-fitted version one myself a couple of weeks ago, and the quality and finish is second to none. Not familiar with the SLW version but it’s certainly high-end to this modeller. 

If you’re after a good deal, MRD have the non-sound version you’re after in the sale - https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/locomotive-diesel-electric/Bachmann-32-415-class-24-0-d5036-disc-headcode-br-green-small-yellow-panels/

No connection, but £125 in the current market is a bargain, and I bought my one from there too. 

My apologies to your bank account if you decide to go ahead! Look forward to seeing further developments on Project X.

Thanks for the heads up. Definately on 'the list'.

However, one is reserved at my local trainset emporium. I'll hopefully get to it next weekend as it happens. Won't be at that price but I normally get an alright deal and the price probably won't be far off when you add in postage.  To be honest, I rarely go elsewhere for current models being lucky enough to have two good shops close by and I  prefer to support local train shops. 

The exception is Kernow simply because of quality of the service. 

Rob. 

• Like 8

On 26/11/2021 at 10:26, NHY 581 said:

Morning Steve, 

Good to hear from you. The thinned down coupling seems to be working okay. The height of the couplings on the wagons is important. I have had to adjust one or two which were a bit high.

In theory it shouldn't matter as the height of the 'top face' of the loco coupling remains the same ( I only reduce the lip on the bottom)  but if it droops it will reduce the available 'hooky on' area. This could lead to spontaneous uncoupling by mischievous wagons. 

Other than that, yes, I'm happy with how it looks and works thus far. 

Re the NBL, jury's out. It looks lovely and I agree, it needs running. However, I would prefer to investigate further for old grease etc before doing that. With spares seemingly like hen's teeth, I am loathe to risk stripping gears etc. I therefore need to set aside some time when I'm unlikely to be 'required elsewhere' as the bogies/gears look quite tricky to get at/ strip/ reassemble. 

Rob. 

Thanks Rob, I've got a few spare couplings so I will experiment with that myself. 

I'll be interested to see how you deal with the factory weathering on the Type 1/ class16 as well. 

Edited by sb67
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, sb67 said:

Thanks Rob, I've got a few spare couplings so I will experiment with that myself. 

I'll be interested to see how you deal with the factory weathering on the Type 1/ class16 as well. 

Morning Steve, 

The factory weathering on the NBL is actually not too terrible, if not a tad lacking in variation. 

I'll certainly be adding to it but I need to sit down for a bit and study some photos first. I think it's more about adding a bit of character to the model. 

As others have already mentioned, the diesels of this era seemed to be generally quite well presented. In the case of 8405, it was built in 1958 and withdrawn ten years later, almost to the day. 

The Class 15 was built in 1960 and withdrawn after eight years service. So they didn't really have much time to get truly distressed, in between being tinkered with. 

Incidentally, I have decided to set Project X in 1965.

Not too bad a year, aside from Winston's passing, along with that of Stan Laurel and quite a few other notables actually. But lots if good stuff as well including much in the way of  good music. 

Rob. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1