Where some  diesels shared shed space with steam some got into quite a sorry state.  Even East Anglian ones on Suffolk branches could be quite sruffy by your suggested date. 

As always,  worth checking photos but you don't need me to tell you that. 

Martyn

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Rob - your last paragraph does rather ignore the elephant!

The end of Western Region steam.

TONY

Um........................

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Steve, 

The factory weathering on the NBL is actually not too terrible, if not a tad lacking in variation. 

I'll certainly be adding to it but I need to sit down for a bit and study some photos first. I think it's more about adding a bit of character to the model. 

As others have already mentioned, the diesels of this era seemed to be generally quite well presented. In the case of 8405, it was built in 1958 and withdrawn ten years later, almost to the day. 

The Class 15 was built in 1960 and withdrawn after eight years service. So they didn't really have much time to get truly distressed, in between being tinkered with. 

Incidentally, I have decided to set Project X in 1965.

Not too bad a year, aside from Winston's passing, along with that of Stan Laurel and quite a few other notables actually. But lots if good stuff as well including much in the way of  good music. 

Rob. 

I remember 1965 escaped school and started work, I also remember getting my first motorbike and sidecar.

Don

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Rob, the juddery running could be the back emf causing it if the motor and drive has a tight spot. It can go away when run in but there are a couple of options, change the BEMF sensitivity or the easiest is to turn it off, (it’s usually on by default). 

I’ve had this with a couple of mechanisms and found reducing the BEMF level stops the decoder sending pulses of extra power when it decides it’s going too slow. A slightly sloppy gear train can also be the cause of the confusion in the decoders little mind as it loads and unloads while shunting. 

The only secret to fiddling with cv’s is to write down what you started with so you can go straight back. 

P48 in the manual.
Using the powercab in ‘program track’ mode which is no.4 on the prog list,

Select 2=cv and it asks you the cv number, then it reads and displays the value, (make a note), and then you can change it with the keypad. 

ESU decoder if you read cv49 you should get a value of 19, if so try changing it to 18 and see if the juddering goes away?

8158C4AF-0EDB-4331-9374-796B24225FC1.jpeg.f12927bfe830d75ba47a966b539622eb.jpeg

Zimo decoder, read cv 58 and try reducing the value to 0 and see if that helps. 

C9E1D8DF-1D83-4749-8312-84E4D6062EDD.jpeg.b73290af3bae281e0b514320d10bc908.jpeg

It sounds intimidating but it’s actually quite easy and I have no clue with computers or electronics. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

ESU decoder if you read cv49 you should get a value of 19, if so try changing it to 18 and see if the juddering goes away?

With all of my locos I first remove the capacitor which in some cases helps to improve running straight away.

Zimo decoders have always seemed fine with it left on but as a matter of choice I snip them off.

If using a Loksound decoder one easy way to see if it improves running is as follows -

Set CV 54 to 0. Place loco on the main powered track (if not there already). Have at least 2 feet of straight track in front of the locomotive and press function 1 (the bell function). The locomotive will run at a very high rate of speed and then slow to a stop with it's bell / whistle on. Turn the bell off and then test the locomotive for smoother motor control. 

All grist to the mill eh ! 

G

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1