• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I came back with this.................

20211229_144454-02.jpeg.150095efd0600f426f51cbb55ef1ef20.jpeg

Built from a South East Finecast kit. Ex LB&SCR D1 0.4.2T. 

Now to work out what to do with it.........

Rob. 

Proper engine! Looks very nicely built too...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, durham light infantry said:

Never mind the train shop. Mrs DLI got me this for Christmas;

Any suggestions for an Ovine named layout in that there London?

IMG20211225202525.jpg.0121e3c245e95e21599e8e817e0b2575.jpg

IMG20211225202930.jpg.162beeb0ede3d755aae4073427c2b31d.jpg

That's an Exmouth Junction engine, but OK for London. Uniquely, it was allocated  to 72A before rebuilding and returned there afterwards. IIRC the only Light Pacific to do so, all the rest went elsewhere.

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nick C said:

Proper engine! Looks very nicely built too...

It does appear to have been, Nick.  A nice job has been made of it.  Livery is well done. 

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Do like an 0-4-2, there's the makings of a 517 around here somewhere as well as the obligatory 48XX.

Top piece of impulse buying. :good:

It was a bit ( massive ) of a 'I'll have it now' moment. 

2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

How splendid.....how's the running?

Not too bad forwards, quiet and smooth. Noisy in reverse ( very) but still runs well enough.  I suspect it may need new gears as the axle gear looks a bit worn. But if it needs a new set of gears it's not the end of the world. 

I do really  like it and I am in no rush to tinker. I've decided that will form the basis of a plan for a 1930s Southern layout, probably a slightly tired terminus. Wriggly tin or timber buildings, windswept location.....basic, basic.... etc etc..........

Think Devils Dyke (?)..........

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I am not to be trusted or left by myself in any model shop at any time. The last time that happened, I started buying 7mm stuff.

God help you Sir when shows are back in anger......good luck..

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

...Wriggly tin or timber buildings, windswept location.....basic, basic.... etc etc..........

Think Devils Dyke (?)..........

I normally lurk in this thread enjoying the view but had to comment. My 'when I get space' layout in my minds eye for the last couple of years has been Devils Dyke. I'm currently building for it... a D3.

You'll make a much better job of it than I could :) Your new purchase looks lovely.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, SR71 said:

I normally lurk in this thread enjoying the view but had to comment. My 'when I get space' layout in my minds eye for the last couple of years has been Devils Dyke. I'm currently building for it... a D3.

You'll make a much better job of it than I could :) Your new purchase looks lovely.

Oh, I think you sell yourself short but I'm grateful for your confidence. 

I mention Devils Dyke as I remember it from MRJ at some point in the past. 

Also inspirational is Leysdown, terminus of the Sheppy Light Railway...........or is that Lambsdown on the Sheepy Light Railway....? 

Incidentally, I have a suitable timber station building and a ground frame, both of LB&SCR origin, 'in stock'........

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

There is also Kemp Town which I've often thought would make a good layout.

Kemp's are the short course fibres in sheep's wool... (And yes I discovered that while looking for tenuous sheep puns).

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 4

9 hours ago, mullie said:

Winchelsheep?

Ramsgate? No that's just silly, no one would ever call a place that!

Martyn

Take a trip on the East Lancs Railway from Bury and you can have a ride up Ramsbottom*!

Hat, coat…

Steve S

* Now, surely that’s a much sillier name than Ramsgate?

* Known locally as Tupsarse (wonder if that makes it through the profanity protection algorithms?!)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just hoovering up a few recent comments, Ramsgate is a fairly dull place, I found, having spent several periods there in the late '70s as Relief SM. But the Southern Railway station, circa 1930, I think, is nowhere near the beach. 

A Brighton D1 is a lovely loco and that one looks a cracker, Rob. Great Buy!

Ditto a D3 - excellent locos. Will you model Goldsmid? Her outline was the LBSCR enginemen's cap badge. She was named after an LBSCR Director, and despite being but a modest tank loco, Sir Julian apparently much admired her. A man of discernment and taste! 

As for the Dyke, well I was taken there some years ago by a lady who was not my wife, and after lunch we went on to the Grand Hotel, where a former Prime Minister nearly lost her life.......

Here endeth the lesson. 

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, MrWolf said:

An excuse for a lot of obscure ROD locos might be Woolwich arsenal

Woolwich Arsenal narrow gauge railway, now there's a box file layout, but someone must have done that already.

It seems that there is actually a full-sized project under way near the site. http://therailwayproject.blogspot.com/p/royal-arsenal-narrow-gauge-railway.html

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Dyke_Station_1905.jpg.328c6e0df0ef9850def0bf13ff6792ed.jpg

598_500284.jpg.d1373f382b2cae4a2ba18162110364a6.jpg

A cluster of sheds in a field. Plenty of room for sheep.

And a surprisingly long platform. I've not managed to find a track plan but from the pictures I've seen it seems 5 coaches was possible without blocking the run round.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Also inspirational is Leysdown, terminus of the Sheppy Light Railway...........or is that Lambsdown on the Sheepy Light Railway....? 

That was the initial inspiration for Plumtree Cross. A delightfully simple station. There's a fabulous P4 layout of Leysdown - http://www.p4layouts.org.uk/leysdown.html

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nick C said:

That was the initial inspiration for Plumtree Cross. A delightfully simple station. There's a fabulous P4 layout of Leysdown - http://www.p4layouts.org.uk/leysdown.html

Hi Nick. 

Yep. MRJ 160 and BRM ( November 2020 ?) have been dug out and perused, again. I also saw Leysdown at the Warminster show in 2018 ( I think). I spent a lot of time watching it. Lovely. 

The challenge is to capture a similar feeling of space in essentially a third of the size of that particular layout. 

As I have mentioned before, small structures in respect of both length and in particular, height I think are crucial to avoiding a crowded feel to the plot. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Sausage hooves
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1