• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, mullie said:

Looks superb Rob but then we wouldn't expect anything less.

Martyn

Thank you Martyn. That's very kind of you. All of a sudden it's started coming together. 

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

It really is looking superb Rob, you've proper nailed it.

Al.

Thanks Al. 

It was nice to see it leap into life under the lights. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Here are a few photos taken under the layout lights. 

Rob. 

20200412_195041-01.jpeg

very nice Rob. Interestingly, I'd imagined that it was going to look a little less rural and more "urban grot".

• RMweb Gold

Morning Steve, 

Thank you. Now that the basics are pretty much done. I can get on with the detailing.

Rob. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

20200412_194822-01.jpeg

I think this looks superb. I really like the shots taken looking along the track, too.

I'm now going to stick my head above the parapet for a brief moment, however.

Whilst I think that the raised bank at the back and the addition of trees is a very welcome development indeed, I would like to most respectfully and with the politest of winds behind me, offer the most tentative and tiny suggestionette that the trees are perhaps, possibly, maybe just a tad too regularly spaced?

The tall one in the corner obviously makes sense, if there is a corner in the backscene, but the others, whilst being the most admirable and worthy citizens of the tree world in their own right, could perhaps do with:

(i) being spaced a bit more irregularly

and

(ii) having one or two 'little sisters or brothers' in their vicinity - saplings or perhaps overgrown bushes of some description.

Just a thought. I'm off to hide in the undergrowth now.

• Like 5
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I'm off to hide in the undergrowth now.

You'll be spotted fairly easily as you've just pointed out that there isn't any!

Edited by Anotheran
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

I think this looks superb. I really like the shots taken looking along the track, too.

I'm now going to stick my head above the parapet for a brief moment, however.

Whilst I think that the raised bank at the back and the addition of trees is a very welcome development indeed, I would like to most respectfully and with the politest of winds behind me, offer the most tentative and tiny suggestionette that the trees are perhaps, possibly, maybe just a tad too regularly spaced?

The tall one in the corner obviously makes sense, if there is a corner in the backscene, but the others, whilst being the most admirable and worthy citizens of the tree world in their own right, could perhaps do with:

(i) being spaced a bit more irregularly

and

(ii) having one or two 'little sisters or brothers' in their vicinity - saplings or perhaps overgrown bushes of some description.

Just a thought. I'm off to hide in the undergrowth now.

Thanks CK. Totally agree. The trees will be revised. I've been chatting to Spams about this very subject only this morning.  

The bigger trees were found a box whilst looking for something else and tried as an experiment. .

I agree the right hand one works....ish. The one on the left doesn't. It's all a bit Capability Brown.

I have a few smaller ones ready to go but I'm going to move on with buildings for a bit and come back to the trees. 

Thank you all for the various likes and comments. I'm really pleased with Sheep Dip. Mindful that I didn't really plan it, simply fancied the look of the buildings,  things have evolved quite nicely. 

Rob. 

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Great photos!

I remember you saying you operate your points manually, and I assume these are electrofrog points like your other layouts, in which case the frogs are unpowered?  Assuming this is the case, how well does the 48DS run on DC through these points?  Any issue due to the short wheelbase?

Thanks!

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Wow now I realise that trackwise it's not a million miles from Sheep lane yet scenically it has so much more depth, especially with the embankment.

Morning Wooders. 

Sheep Dip is four inches longer than Sheep Lane and roughly five inches deeper. 

As ewe say, it does make a difference. 

9 hours ago, Nick said:

Great photos!

I remember you saying you operate your points manually, and I assume these are electrofrog points like your other layouts, in which case the frogs are unpowered?  Assuming this is the case, how well does the 48DS run on DC through these points?  Any issue due to the short wheelbase?

Thanks!

Morning Nick. 

You're right. The points are all small radius PECO electro frog code 75. They are reliant on the point blades for the electrical continuity. As you say, the frogs are not powered. 

The little Ruston runs well and seems to cope. It's a good yardstick regarding running. If it will run, anything will. 

Rob. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Attention sheep lovers and People of Wales! (not necessarily in that order).

Are you aware of this new book on the industrial railways of Wales? - https://www.amberley-books.com/industrial-locomotives-railways-of-wales-9781445649443.html

Looks rather good and available from today!

• Informative/Useful 3