• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

20210803_223556-01.jpeg.44f11221a579f6c303d8596d67512b92.jpg.404864ae8cc472c8fd13dad3302d318f.jpg

'Ello Rob, gotta new motor?

Morning CK. 

Not new......but I did mislay it during the reorg of the Room of Doom. Resurfaced a few days ago. 

Its an Oxford Standard Flying 12 suitably distressed. 

Rob.  

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, bgman said:

Wise words from Mick in my opinion Rob.

Cut back to what you feel needs to satisfy you the most, of which to my mind is the small detailing of the minimal items on the layouts you've produced over the years. These have give great pleasure to a great many here and hopefully through the process to you also.

I won't harp on about my "stuff" on your thread suffice to say I have rapidly come to the conclusion that less is probably best, especially in 7mm !

Being away from modelling for approx. one year has given me time to think and re-think what is possible and also pleasurable.

Unfortunately you have had to contend with much more over the past year, as you've highlighted, and bouncing back can't have been easy.

Do what pleases you the most, bit by bit and enjoy what you do, after all it's only a hobby but one which takes us away from the real world and a good way to escape, even if it's only for an hour pushing stuff around on some bits of track. You've created a miniature world to enjoy and allowed us in to share your visions for which I thank you.

Now bu**er off and do something you want too !!! 

G

Thank you. 

• Like 4

On 31/07/2021 at 19:45, NHY 581 said:

Evening all. 

The wind has truly been knocked out of my sails this evening. 

The only image I can think to post is the only bit of weathering I have ever done for someone else. 

It was a pleasure to do. 

Mick's Landy. 

20210731_182826.jpg.7ed396b9711ca60e4b626dc3e8d63890.jpg

Fitting tribute Rob. I was floored by the news too, Mick had plenty of wise words and the last few days have seen me reflecting on conversations I've had with him about weathering, so a weathered Land Rover is spot on.

Good luck with the new layout too, being on GE territory always goes down well with me, I'll look forward to seeing how it goes.  

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

Have we reached a "quay" decision point in layout design?

Being "all at sea" with several ideas Rob may have docked his mind on one of Iains workable designs !

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Mick

I am still in shock over this..

Me too as I'm sure a lot of us are :mellow:

5 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Good on you, Rob, for using Mick's wise words and cracking on with a new layout, we're all looking forward to another mini masterpiece.  And seeing the, now almost mandatory, Land Rover. 

Absolutely

• Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Perhaps a quick note on the plan. It's inspired by part of an Iain Rice trackplan for a proposed Ex GER BLT at Orford. It had a quay extension which caught my eye.  

20210621_185623-01.jpeg.0554db57d723644bf74bc241c6fb4074.jpeg

I've opted for smaller, lower buildings, returning to a 'less is more' approach which I am more comfortable with. 

O

M

G

I've been holding my breath for a dock/wharfside layout from you, so you have no idea how happy it makes me to see you post this! Can you point me to the original plan you got this from, please? I'm now following an adapted Iain Rice plan for Castlebrook Sidings, as suggested to me by @sb67, and looking at the plan you've just posted I think it looks perfect for when I build my own Woodhey Quay! I'm certain I have one of his layout planning books somewhere, but I don't recall this one being in it.

Totally different geographical area, but the size of the quayside building on the plan immediately made me think of Wells-Next-The-Sea...

IMG_2061.JPG.2f0de060f9ed5747b8ee4e6e398b254a.JPG

This contemporary photo (copyright unknown, Google search for images) shows the juxtaposition in size between the granary and the rest of the buildings along the quayside (where there were tracks until around 1955 I believe) - if this were a model, questions would be asked about how the granary over-dominates the composition of the layout!

No pressure, but I can't wait to see your interpretation of a wharf side location!

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Added photo
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

O

M

G

I've been holding my breath for a dock/wharfside layout from you, so you have no idea how happy it makes me to see you post this! Can you point me to the original plan you got this from, please? I'm now following an adapted Iain Rice plan for Castlebrook Sidings, as suggested to me by @sb67, and looking at the plan you've just posted I think it looks perfect for when I build my own Woodhey Quay! I'm certain I have one of his layout planning books somewhere, but I don't recall this one being in it.

Totally different geographical area, but the size of the quayside building on the plan immediately makes me think of Wells-Next-The-Sea...

Hi Steve.....

That's very kind of you to say. 

The plan is in Light Railway Layout Designs,  ( Wild Swan)  pages 31 -35, Orford. 

At the moment mine's not likely to be a quayside/wharf jobbie. 

It was the track layout itself that caught my eye rather than the setting. 

To be honest, I've not modelled water before and it's a  bit of an unknown for me. 

That said, a lot of Mr Rice's plans and layouts feature a drop of water.................and I do have a very nice photo by Dr Ian Allen in mind as I type this.........so there mght be water yet. This was the second issue to resolve. 

If anyone has any hints and tips to share regarding the creation of water, I would be grateful.......

Rob. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Steve.....

The plan is in Light Railway Layout Designs,  ( Wild Swan)  pages 31 -35, Orford. 

To be honest, I've not modelled water before and it's a  bit of an unknown for me. 

That said, a lot of Mr Rice's plans and layouts feature a drop of water.................and I do have a very nice photo by Dr Ian Allen in mind as I type this.........so there mght be water yet. This was the second issue to resolve. 

If anyone has any hints and tips to share regarding the creation of water, I would be grateful.......

Rob. 

Just think Rob, you don't have to have water at a quayside. Just a bank or bit of a wall and some sludgy mud. Perhaps a cameo of a bike being retrieved from the mire? 

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Capstans

He will not doubt be along in a bit. Just don't mention ART darling...............

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Mick contacted me out of the blue and offered me a job lot from his stock, an offer I gladly took him up on.

Indeed a very generous bloke, similarly he contacted me offering me a box of weathering powders only a few weeks ago.

Pleasantly surprised at how much he sent me, I intend to honor his memory by trying to use them to the best of my abilities.......with him in mind of course

Edited by chuffinghell
my spelling just gets worse
  • Friendly/supportive 12

3 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Steve.....

Rob. 

I have two types on LM

Painted the underside of perspex in a green brown for the brook to give a flat still effect.

The harbour is greenish shade on MDF with PVA dabbed on with a 1" brush laid flat then lifted to give a rippled effect, needs to be applied in the same direction. If memory recalls I applied 6 separate layers and can be renovated with another layer of glue as and when necessary.

• Informative/Useful 8