6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Well, 

Track down and a couple of minor tweaks made so all good thus far. 

20210814_102441-01.jpeg.ac24ea5f6b420ab8131d4f838dd003a9.jpeg

Wiring to be finalised and added.

Test/play.

With this stage, dare I say it complete, thoughts can turn to adding ground cover. 

In order ( ish ) 

Ground cover.( DAS ) at the same imprinting buildings to eradicate gap and confirm positions of doors/ drains/downpipes for scribing of any flag stones/drains/manholes etc. 

Paint track/ground/self/ George. Clean/test/play. 

Weather track and varnish.

Cean/test/play. 

Ballast.

Clean/test/play. 

Ground surface. Various. 

Clean/test/play.

Water . :o

Static grass first fix. 

Clean/test/play

Static grass 2nd fix.

Clean/test play

Other scenery, flowers, shrubs, weedy track, palm trees etc. 

Clean/test/play.

Add buildings. 

Test/play. 

Backscene/lights

Test/play.

In between the above detail and weather some locos and stock whilst testing and playing.

20210814_103047-01.jpeg.967918057c64553c1c662f4e178eb30f.jpeg

Exhibit,  hand over controls to CK and go for cup of tea. 

Simples. 

Rob. 

OK so that takes us to Monday, what are you doing to the layout the rest of the week?

Great progress, nice to see some proper engines!

Martyn

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, keefr2 said:

Apologies in advance Rob as I know you'll have mentioned it, but can I ask what Ikea baseboard this latest epic is taking shape on, and what are the dimensions please? 

Keith

Hi Keith. 

Not a  problem. 

It's a LACK nest of tables. £25 for the two. I have used the larger one. 

31ryhzrphWL._AC_.jpg.afafc1964fb59f536e6dc683ae6c370b.jpg

Large one is 120cm x 40cm x 5cm. 

Smaller one is 60cm x 40cm x 5cm. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

May I suggest Rob that you try looking for something else as I have often found that if you do then the item you want to locate mysteriously appears.

Sherry's mother was convinced that whatever you were looking for, it always appeared in the very last place you looked.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Sherry's mother was convinced that whatever you were looking for, it always appeared in the very last place you looked.....

Like looking for a piece of wood in a forest. I usually find it was right in front of me.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

May I suggest Rob that you try looking for something else as I have often found that if you do then the item you want to locate mysteriously appears.

Anyway good look with the search.

Buying a replacement always works for me...

• Agree 2

Just now, Gilbert said:

Buying a replacement always works for me...

Yes but then you miss out on the joy of finding that thing that you'd given up finding and had shelved the project that you wanted it for. Nothing like a good search.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Yes but then you miss out on the joy of finding that thing that you'd given up finding and had shelved the project that you wanted it for. Nothing like a good search.

Sorry - what I meant was  -buying a replacement means I find the bit I needed to find in the first place..

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

It's a great shame that the old S&B cast metal ones are no longer available - although rather overscale (but not as much as the US made ones) they werea pretty good representation of a 'one way' hand point lever  and worked well.  I've found one for sale, secondhand, on the 'net - for just under a fiver instead of half-a-crown.   But worth looking for if you feel like scouting the net for them.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

It's a great shame that the old S&B cast metal ones are no longer available - although rather overscale (but not as much as the US made ones) they werea pretty good representation of a 'one way' hand point lever  and worked well.  I've found one for sale, secondhand, on the 'net - for just under a fiver instead of half-a-crown.   But worth looking for if you feel like scouting the net for them.

Pricey but nostalgic...

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/buildings/1001t/

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Still overscale, but in my opinion the best at the time, were the old Graham Farish Formoway ones.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The solution to that is to keep looking after you find it. That also has the bonus of convincing everyone around that you are truly mad, and thus stopping them from bothering you...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 4

Nobody ever explained properly to me where the "Last Place" is to be found. 

I was astounded by the prices for the GEM point levers shown on the Wizard models web site. ( https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/buildings/1001t/  )

Anyone want a 6 lever GEM lever frame ? open to offers in excess of the postage ,( say £3 ) as new, un-used, but at least 40 years old !!

If I find any single point levers they will appear in the Free To Good Home Sales section here on RM web, I'm sure that I must have a few --- But Where ?

Edited by DonB
clarification
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I have decided to carry on trying to source some more Caboose Industries Ground throws to wiggle the points. 

Chris (Gilbert) was kind enough to send one through but it wasn't the correct type. So far the only source of these seems to be the good old U.S of A.  Model Junction in Slough used to do them but they no longer seem to and I have to say it seems a smidge of an excess to import them.

Walthers (both a US manufacturer and a US wholesaler/distributor for other companies) carries Caboose Industries, so all you need to do is find a UK retailers who deals with Walthers and they should be able to import them for you - hopefully with a regular Walthers order so that the import costs are shared.

Rails of Sheffield is moving into also carrying North American items and they carry Walthers.

Gaugemaster also deals with Walthers.

So if necessary you may want to try contacting them after looking at the Walthers website to get the Walthers product code for what you want.  https://www.walthers.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Caboose+industries

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Sorry to butt in, but another possible option is Marcway, also in Sheffield.  They have a point lever very similar to the American ones. Good picture on their web site but no useful information like dimensions or throw details unfortunately.  http://www.marcway.net/store/1068/Point Levers  Not used them personnally, but found the page when looking for something else.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

I have to admit to being impressed by the Good Baron's methods of hiding point operating mechanisms on Quai 87.

Random items of paraphernalia seemingly scattered about the quay & trackside, but were infact the ends of WiT for the adjacent point. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 14/08/2021 at 17:34, NHY 581 said:

Hi Keith. 

Not a  problem. 

It's a LACK nest of tables. £25 for the two. I have used the larger one. 

31ryhzrphWL._AC_.jpg.afafc1964fb59f536e6dc683ae6c370b.jpg

Large one is 120cm x 40cm x 5cm. 

Smaller one is 60cm x 40cm x 5cm. 

Rob. 

Rob, 

Just out of curiosity can I ask what you do with the smaller table if you only use the larger one ? 

Would you be able to glue / attach them together to give you another baseboard ?

G

• RMweb Gold

Well, I found three of the four levers I thought I had. 

20210815_165617-02.jpeg.03766d49ced5655f0639454a9aff8629.jpeg

They have been added to the layout as per photos. 

20210815_165600.jpg.dc9fc814b0d48a6d298f314aecb7a28a.jpg

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2