• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

As it happens, Nick, yes. It has crossed my mind. There are a few stunning layouts hereabouts that are either based in winter or autumn to good effect. 

Here's one....

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

And for those who haven't found this superb layout yet.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

As it happens, Nick, yes. It has crossed my mind. There are a few stunning layouts hereabouts that are either based in winter or autumn to good effect. 

I've seen some very effective winter scenery on layouts but invariably the trains have not been treated in the same way. Where is the build up of snow on the bogies, between the ends of coaches, on wagon roofs, etc. etc?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I've seen some very effective winter scenery on layouts but invariably the trains have not been treated in the same way. Where is the build up of snow on the bogies, between the ends of coaches, on wagon roofs, etc. etc?

Morning John. 

That's the extreme example and not something I would want.  I like the idea of a winter scene as a contrast to my other layouts but its really not a requirement to have snow. Far from it in fact. Frosty maybe but not snow. I have no intention of creating something that looks like a Christmas decoration. 

I believe that the examples I gave of other layouts show that it is possible to model different seasons to very good effect.  The stock thereon is weathered but not specifically to a 'seasonal manner'There has to be a compromise. 

However, You raise a valid point. It never occured to me that someone would look at that approach in such a way. I wouldn't look at someone elses efforts like that. I look at the overall scene and accept it for what it is but maybe I'm too easy going ? Is this a bad thing?  

Perhaps its easier and less likely to attract critique if I do what everyone else does and depict verdant Spring or Summer ? 

Sometimes, in this hobby, it either pays not to be different or to keep things out of public view..........this is a hobby after all.  Something we do to please ourselves, not others.  I should perhaps remember that others are not so easily pleased, especially if the intention, as in my case,  is to occasionally exhibit.  

I think a layout depicting a  winters morning is doable but now not so sure that it's the right way to go............too controversial ? 

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning John. 

That's the extreme example and not something I would want.  I like the idea of a winter scene as a contrast to my other layouts but its really not a requirement to have snow. Far from it in fact. Frosty maybe but not snow. I have no intention of creating something that looks like a Christmas decoration. 

I believe that the examples I gave of other layouts show that it is possible to model different seasons to very good effect.  The stock thereon is weathered but not specifically to a 'seasonal manner'There has to be a compromise. 

However, You raise a valid point. It never occured to me that someone would look at that approach in such a way. I wouldn't look at someone elses efforts like that. I look at the overall scene and accept it for what it is but maybe I'm too easy going ? Is this a bad thing?  

Perhaps its easier and less likely to attract critique if I do what everyone else does and depict verdant Spring or Summer ? 

Sometimes, in this hobby, it either pays not to be different or to keep things out of public view..........this is a hobby after all.  Something we do to please ourselves, not others.  I should perhaps remember that others are not so easily pleased, especially if the intention, as in my case,  is to occasionally exhibit.  

I think a layout depicting a  winters morning is doable but now not so sure that it's the right way to go............too controversial ? 

It wasn't intended as a criticism, Rob. I think it's just the "snow" part that doesn't ring true for me. As soon as a train appears on a carefully modelled winter scene without any representation of ice or snow on it my suspension of disbelief is, as it were, suspended.

On the other hand, bare trees and hedges with just a hint of hoar frost? That would be worth seeing!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

It wasn't intended as a criticism, Rob.

Having seen a couple of snowy/winter layouts at shows, I completely agree with John. A small amount of frost and a few remnants of snow on bogies etc., is all that would be needed to complete the scene. And if done well, it's impossible to not get 'Christmas card' type comments. But I guess you'd expect that when planning a layout in winter. And it's certainly appreciated by the younger visitors, and that's a big positive.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I have seen pictures of more than one US layout where multiple seasons were modelled in different parts of the layout. At least one had all four. But many US layouts have the benefit of far more room than the typical UK modeller can dream of!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, KNP said:

I have to say a snow scene is gaining traction with me.

The idea is to pinch your use of an Ikea coffee table and do a small layout that can fit under LM.

I did tinker with a cakebox challenge to test the concept and it seemed to work.

Wargame websites seem to have the best scenic items.

C25.jpg.0022b971576302db3b474cdd2027d5f3.jpg

One day, you never know.....

That looks just right, how did you go about getting the effects?

I wanted to click on interesting and thought provoking as well as craftsmanship but can only pick one emoji 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Asterix2012 said:

That looks just right, how did you go about getting the effects?

I wanted to click on interesting and thought provoking as well as craftsmanship but can only pick one emoji 

Hi mate, the build thread is here:

Al.

• Like 3

There are some interesting pictures of the work of George Iliffe Stokes in the link below. 

A few show the very effective trees.

I seem to remember that Iain Rice and Bob Barlow also used bare trees in their East Suffolk Light Railway but can't find a convenient reference at the moment.

Rodney

George Iliffe Stokes - Scenic artist - Malcolm Mitchell's "A" Shop (swindonworks.co.uk)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning John. 

Maybe the rolling stock has just emerged from a warm shed or workshop?  That might be able to justify (to some extent) the lack of snow and ice.  That said, maybe there's an argument for having a wet surface instead of frost.  I think its what you make of it and the overall look v effort - and what's fun and what isn't.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, bgman said:

Your layout, your time, your enjoyment......do what you want mate !

Evening G. 

It is indeed. Things will evolve in time, rest assured of that

13 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Within reason. Obviously no Panniers.

By way of reassurance, Pencarrot, Old Fruit, Panniers will definitely not feature on Project X. 

9 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

PS, still waiting for the photos of the well filled baps advertised in the thread title.

the-great-british-breakfast-bap-143d61b.jpg.37f6fd930e238ed9945632020ce5d549.jpg

1_Morrisons-Breakfast-Butty-14.jpg.9b09390f435195a885acf89f0f647b8a.jpg

7 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

He does have a point....

On occasion. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening G. 

It is indeed. Things will evolve in time, rest assured of that

By way of reassurance, Pencarrot, Old Fruit, Panniers will definitely not feature on Project X. 

the-great-british-breakfast-bap-143d61b.jpg.37f6fd930e238ed9945632020ce5d549.jpg

1_Morrisons-Breakfast-Butty-14.jpg.9b09390f435195a885acf89f0f647b8a.jpg

On occasion. 

Being right 5% of the time is better than some.....just saying...

• Thanks 1