Or the Spanish Inquisition!

Indeed. 

But I'm now considering a Class 24.....

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, mullie said:

J70s were long gone by the time that arrived.

Martyn

I'm considering no steam on Project X.......... 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Heljan, dear boy?

Indeed, CK

My first 'big' diesel for many years. It's a Class 15 and I have fancied one for a little while now. 

It's rather nice. 

Rob

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

My first 'big' diesel for many years. It's a Class 15 and I have fancied one for a little while now. 

It's rather nice. 

Used to see these stooging about in all sorts of odd corners in NE London. In the days when a number of Central Line Underground stations still had goods yards, there one would be. Seemed surreal.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

It will go well with the Bachmann 03. 

Another view........

20211007_205957-02.jpeg.983f00acf583de7edc48afba866b0831.jpeg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

It probably does go well (ahem) but the real ones didn't!

Lovely looking loco though, used to look at them on the shelf at work and try to work out how to justify one on the layout of the time - I couldn't.  I did get a Sutton 24 though, it is sublime, highly recommended.  They run absolutely superbly, actually have to describe it as perfectly.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Does it go alright?

(Nudge, nudge, say no more.....!)

Mange tout, Ricardo. 

It does indeed...........leading me to want a couple more diseasels. Very controllerable. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

At least 14 Panniers too many there IMO. :P

Just as well I didn’t dig them all out. I can give up any time I like you know, it’s not a problem or anything…:crazy:

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, PMP said:

Just as well I didn’t dig them all out. I can give up any time I like you know, it’s not a problem or anything…:crazy:

They're mother beautiful Panniers........

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening Paul. 

Cracking collection. I do like the variety you have created with the subtle detail differences you have modelled. 

Rob.

Thanks Rob, just changing one or two bits gives (like your weathering) each model it’s own character. I’ve done quite a few now so it’s actually quite a quick process even if removing a top feed.

Seeing your latest acquisition they are nice models and overall I think capture the 15’s pretty well. However… if you need to rummage inside at any time they are a PITA, see here  https://norvenmunky.wordpress.com/2010/03/28/night-of-the-long-knives/ I’ve got two of them and they’re very reliable. I swapped the glazing for Shawplan laserglaze which makes quite a visual change.

If a 24 is on the hunt list the original Bachmann release responds well to a makeover, and would be cheaper than the latest (very good) release.

804909C4-7122-4B3B-8060-4874982D3078.jpeg.4d8f69b369a367605325afcfc6e29974.jpeg

These have had Shawplan glazing, roof fan grilles and headcode discs fitted, and a light weathering. 

Edited by PMP
Addition
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, PMP said:

Thanks Rob, just changing one or two bits gives (like your weathering) each model it’s own character. I’ve done quite a few now so it’s actually quite a quick process even if removing a top feed.

Seeing your latest acquisition they are nice models and overall I think capture the 15’s pretty well. However… if you need to rummage inside at any time they are a PITA, see here  https://norvenmunky.wordpress.com/2010/03/28/night-of-the-long-knives/ I’ve got two of them and they’re very reliable. I swapped the glazing for Shawplan laserglaze which makes quite a visual change.

Thanks Paul. 

I've read up a bit on the Heljan class 15. General consensus is exactly as you say. 

I do like the sound of the laserglaze. 

But I really  need to read up on the prototype. I'm far from clued up on these diesel thingys and there are lots of dangly pipes and things to add. 

Rob. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Thanks Paul. 

I've read up a bit on the Heljan class 15. General consensus is exactly as you say. 

I do like the sound of the laserglaze. 

But I really  need to read up on the prototype. I'm far from clued up on these diesel thingys and there are lots of dangly pipes and things to add. 

Rob. 

If you’re staying with TLC couplings, the pipey bits will get in the way, so you can probably body swerve those. The two 24’s had minimum pipes fitted as using them on Bawdsey, they’d get in the way of the three links so I took the easy route :)

42F2EC11-D6D6-45BC-8CB7-7EDF1CD5B1B2.jpeg.fefc66624aac96d2b4ce37fd61e96e23.jpeg

This OPC album is worth finding. Beware though, that’s how it starts..

Edited by PMP
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

I would echo PMP’s warning. I had an all GE steam fleet, but made the mistake of buying the Diesels in East Anglia book. Shortly afterwards, a Cravens arrived, then a 31 - you get the gist. I’ve been keeping an eye out on eBay for a 15 at a suitable price but no luck yet, might end up biting the bullet and paying around the £90 mark but trying to avoid paying that much. Not sure if you’ve seen but Heljan are doing another run of W&M railbuses, £150 a pop though... 

Looking forward to seeing how Project X develops. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Used to see these stooging about in all sorts of odd corners in NE London. In the days when a number of Central Line Underground stations still had goods yards, there one would be. Seemed surreal.

Used to run past my primary school on the Edgware goods - or occasionally an N2...

Once of my might-but-probably-never-will projects is Finchley Central, circa 1962.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, PMP said:

If a 24 is on the hunt list the original Bachmann release responds well to a makeover, and would be cheaper than the latest (very good) release.

804909C4-7122-4B3B-8060-4874982D3078.jpeg.4d8f69b369a367605325afcfc6e29974.jpeg

These have had Shawplan glazing, roof fan grilles and headcode discs fitted, and a light weathering. 

They really look the part, Paul. I've been looking at the new 24 from Bachmann as well as the one from SLW. 

With all the extra hours I've been doing recently, I might just treat myself and its looking like it will be the Bachmann jobbie which appears to be now on a par with that from SLW. 

8 hours ago, PMP said:

If you’re staying with TLC couplings, the pipey bits will get in the way, so you can probably body swerve those. The two 24’s had minimum pipes fitted as using them on Bawdsey, they’d get in the way of the three links so I took the easy route :)

42F2EC11-D6D6-45BC-8CB7-7EDF1CD5B1B2.jpeg.fefc66624aac96d2b4ce37fd61e96e23.jpeg

This OPC album is worth finding. Beware though, that’s how it starts..

Its on the list. I therefore accept that I teeter  on the edge of the abyss..........

7 hours ago, NXEA! said:

I would echo PMP’s warning. I had an all GE steam fleet, but made the mistake of buying the Diesels in East Anglia book. Shortly afterwards, a Cravens arrived, then a 31 - you get the gist. I’ve been keeping an eye out on eBay for a 15 at a suitable price but no luck yet, might end up biting the bullet and paying around the £90 mark but trying to avoid paying that much. Not sure if you’ve seen but Heljan are doing another run of W&M railbuses, £150 a pop though... 

Looking forward to seeing how Project X develops. 

The W&M Rail bus is on the list and I find myself looking longingly at a 31. Part of this is fond memories of my Triang version in the Freightmaster trainset that got me going on this path of enlightenment.  

I of course have no need for the W&M. I mean, Project X is goods only..........so no need for a Cravens DMU either............or an 08 for that matter.......

Rob. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Love the new loco Rob and loving the direction the thread is taking. It also looks right at home on Bleat too, look forward to seeing your progress. 

Morning Steve, 

Thank you. It's good to get the thread back in modelling mode. 

The 15 is a tad different. Sometimes it takes a slight change of direction and the seeds were sown when I picked up the 03. I'm not a massive fan of diseasels but I find the green/small warning panel combo really attractive, adding a nice bit of colour to the proceedings. 

As alluded to above, this may well be the way forwad with PX but I have to agree, it does look the part on Bleat.............Hymek ? 

Rob

• Like 9