• RMweb Gold

The thing about these diesel thingeys, Rob, is that they generally do run very well indeed and it is such a pleasure shunting with them!

If pressed, I'd say that the SLW Class 24 still has the edge on the new Bachmann one, but as Paul says, even the original Bachmann 24 looks good and can be tidied up a bit.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there are any green SLW Class 24s still available at the moment, but they are doing another production run.

One other thing about the SLW Class 24, which you may want to consider if you are going to treat yourself in future, is that the (supposedly) 'DCC-only' sound option does work on DC - I saw one recently on a friend's home layout, working on DC only and the sound effects were superb.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Of course, you can never have enough Hymeks.

I also note a further run of Class 14s. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

What do folks think of the Dapol 22 in the green, and is £149 too much for a 'like new' 22?

There's one on the eBay but I think it's a bit too pricey, others are around £129 but none are pure green, like wot I want.

Edited by Tim Dubya
comas
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

What do folks think of the Dapol 22 in the green, and is £149 too much for a 'like new' 22?

There's one one the eBay but I think it's a bit too pricey, others are around £129 but none are pure green, like wot I want.

With the prices of 4mm seemingly getting more expensive it depends upon how much you want one, plus the "play" value / satisfaction it will give you ?

If you can afford it then I say buy it, it's something you may regret later if they become like the proverbial hens teeth like some models seem to.

G

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

There's one one the eBay but I think it's a bit too pricey, others are around £129 but none are pure green, like wot I want.

Difficult to say, it's going to depend on how much you want it!

Having said that, if it is 'like new', then £149 might be considered a 'fair' price by some, in comparason with other new RTR diesels.

Unless Dapol are going to do another production run of these, then you may wish to strike while the iron is hot and obtain it!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, bgman said:

With the prices of 4mm seemingly getting more expensive it depends upon how much you want one, plus the "play" value / satisfaction it will give you ?

If you can afford it then I say buy it, it's something you may regret later if they become like the proverbial hens teeth like some models seem to.

G

Oh look, we both said exactly the same thing and at the same time!

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, chaps, but a bit of nitpickery coming up. I refer to the habit in recent posts of referring to venerable diesel locos by their TOPS number. TOPS only came to fruition in the early '70s, yet Rob's recent acquisition is from a class that had all gone by 1972. It is actually a British-Thompson-Houston Type 1. It has a British Railways symbol from before the 1966 British Rail double-arrows, and a D prefix on its number - they had largely disappeared by 1970.

Similarly a Class 24 is a Derby-Sulzer type 2. And yet you all know what a Hymek is - no TOPS number being bandied about there.

Food for thought about terminology in Rob's chosen era? Sorry (not really) to be boring.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Sorry, chaps, but a bit of nitpickery coming up. I refer to the habit in recent posts of referring to venerable diesel locos by their TOPS number. TOPS only came to fruition in the early '70s, yet Rob's recent acquisition is from a class that had all gone by 1972. It is actually a British-Thompson-Houston Type 1. It has a British Railways symbol from before the 1966 British Rail double-arrows, and a D prefix on its number - they had largely disappeared by 1970.

Similarly a Class 24 is a Derby-Sulzer type 2. And yet you all know what a Hymek is - no TOPS number being bandied about there.

Food for thought about terminology in Rob's chosen era? Sorry (not really) to be boring.

See, if I’d come onto this thread without seeing the pictures of Rob’s latest acquisition and found you all referring to a “British-Thompson-Houston Type 1”, I’d’ve assumed you were talking about vacuum cleaners or aeroplanes or something other than trains.

Referring to a ”Class 14” on the other hand means I’d know Rob had purchased a diesel and I’d know what it exactly what it looked like without seeing the photos.

I only know some of the pre-TOPS designations of diesel locos, but I can picture what people are referring to if they use the TOPS classification and I suspect I’m not the only one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

It probably does go well (ahem) but the real ones didn't!

Lovely looking loco though, used to look at them on the shelf at work and try to work out how to justify one on the layout of the time - I couldn't.  I did get a Sutton 24 though, it is sublime, highly recommended.  They run absolutely superbly, actually have to describe it as perfectly.

Yes they did have a habit of not working.   Plus - something to remember when weathering - they also had an inclination for the V16 Paxman engines to catch fire ;)

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Well, the Class 22s almost survived into the TOPS era, certainly long enough to have been given that designation.

Hymeks (as Class 35s) certainly survived into the TOPS era, even if they were not given new numbers.

And Class 24s survived long enough to actually be numbered in the 24XXX series!

And it's fewer digits to type on the keyboard! ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

See, if I’d come onto this thread without seeing the pictures of Rob’s latest acquisition and found you all referring to a “British-Thompson-Houston Type 1”, I’d’ve assumed you were talking about vacuum cleaners or aeroplanes or something other than trains.

Referring to a ”Class 14” on the other hand means I’d know Rob had purchased a diesel and I’d know what it exactly what it looked like without seeing the photos.

I only know some of the pre-TOPS designations of diesel locos, but I can picture what people are referring to if they use the TOPS classification and I suspect I’m not the only one.

Exactly. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I don't know if the BTH Type 1s got data panels as withdrawal commenced in April 1968 and data panels were officially introduced around the late summer/early autumn of that year.  However as they survived in traffic (officially if not actually) they might possibly have got the panels which would have identified them as Class 15.   The data panel needed to show their Class Designation under the new system as it was required for operating purposes but the Freight Trains Load Book included data panel information for all relevant classes to take account of the slow appearance of the panels so their non-appearance on the BTH Type 1s shouldn't have mattered.  

I don't know when the M&EE folk applied the standard class designation number but in view of the previous hotch-potch of class designations it probably wasn't too long in coming - under the Eastern Region class designation system these locos were classified as 8/5 and in the Diagram Book they were listed as DE/1002/1.  i wouldn't be too surprised to find a WR Loads Book showing then as D82XX as they definitely worked to Acton at one time.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well, the Class 22s almost survived into the TOPS era, certainly long enough to have been given that designation.

Hymeks (as Class 35s) certainly survived into the TOPS era, even if they were not given new numbers.

And Class 24s survived long enough to actually be numbered in the 24XXX series!

And it's fewer digits to type on the keyboard! ;)

See my other post (above) the new standard Class Designations, e.g Class 22 (and Class35) applied from late summer/early autumn 1968 and data panels were gradually applied to surviving classes from then onwards (the Hymeks had Class 35 panels of course).  

The renumbering paid for under TOPS introduction used the standard class designations to form part of the running number and teh money to do that had not been available previously according to various M&EE people.  And in fact that renumbering required a program change to TOPS because it could originally only accept a maximum of 4 digits in the loco number field.

Back to sheep 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

They really look the part, Paul. I've been looking at the new 24 from Bachmann as well as the one from SLW. 

With all the extra hours I've been doing recently, I might just treat myself and its looking like it will be the Bachmann jobbie which appears to be now on a par with that from SLW. 

Its on the list. I therefore accept that I teeter  on the edge of the abyss..........

The W&M Rail bus is on the list and I find myself looking longingly at a 31. Part of this is fond memories of my Triang version in the Freightmaster trainset that got me going on this path of enlightenment.  

I of course have no need for the W&M. I mean, Project X is goods only..........so no need for a Cravens DMU either............or an 08 for that matter.......

Rob. 

13595CE2-9739-4D47-B2CE-D4007ECFDE7B.jpeg.65a209aace5a9f7ba7abb63b51dfaabc.jpeg

Cravens aren’t essential for East Anglia, Derby Lightweights are a good alternative, with or without whiskers. So far I’ve found these selling cheaper than 101/105/108’s in similar liveries, probably not as popular due more restricted geographical spread.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Clarification sought: Is that instead of Panniers? 

#Triggered…

232F14FC-DB58-459F-AC39-ACF70F48DFC7.jpeg.f25b6a8fdcb8053e9c63cb7c0ce7dab1.jpeg
Shawplan glazing and (wibble) individual etched numbers applied. One day a Carmarthenshire branch line will appear. That’s what I tell myself anyway.

(NB Over the years I’ve been very fortunate to find stuff secondhand reasonably priced)

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 4

I do find early diesels interesting, so many different ideas about how best to achieve the same thing, it's rather like the development of early motor vehicles, quite a few dead ends and lame ducks, about thirty years of ruling the roost, culminating in bland characterless boxes.

I can remember class 20s rumbling about, they were something different to see because they looked like European or American locos to us as children.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1