Osbourn's Models Bideford

Graham Walters

36 minutes ago, BokStein said:

But you should only take payment on despatch and not at time of order being placed!

These days that only applies to pre-orders. Otherwise it's payment up front. But taking money when you don't have stock is guaranteed to annoy your customers - especially if they have to chase you to discover why they haven't received the item. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

But many retailers have stock that has sold out at the manufacturers.

I'm meaning things that have seen sold out for years and are only even available to attempt to buy because the stock system is so manual.

47 minutes ago, dpgibbons said:

These days that only applies to pre-orders. Otherwise it's payment up front. But taking money when you don't have stock is guaranteed to annoy your customers - especially if they have to chase you to discover why they haven't received the item. 

No!

The retailers I deal with will take a card number at the time of placing the order but WILL NOT take any payment until the item is despatched, regardless of whether it is a pre-order or simply out of stock.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well I'm regretting I didn't read this forum thread earlier!

I placed an order via Osborne's website on 15th November and payment, via Paypal was immediately taken.

No goods or any further communication has been received!

I've tried phoning - never any reply.

I've tried repeatedly emailing - again no reply.

I raised the issue through Paypal - no reply to that "dispute" either.

I've now had to resort to a formal claim through Paypal to recover my money.

I would second what others have said - there is no info on Osborne's website to indicate anything is amiss. This simply isn't good enough and given my experience isn't an isolated one I begin to wonder about the integrity of this retailer!!

Fortunately there are many other retailers in our hobby offering outstanding good service - too many to list here - but I'll be taking my business elsewhere in future and would advise others to do the same.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 1

I can recall instances in previous threads that discussed the issues concerning credit cards being charged immediately for items that are Pre-Ordered or Out-of-stock, especially if using Paypal (either Paypal or a credit card payment through their facility).

The other issue with making payment through Paypal's facility for purchases over £100, is that they are 3rd party and not covered by the  Credit Card Section 75 Protection under the Consumer Credit Act. 

You may have heard of Martin Lewis, of the Money Saving Expert website who also regularly appears on ITV discussing peoples financial matters. He explains the issue on his website at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/PayPal-Section75

I get the impression that only if the retailer/supplier has a direct facility with their own bank's credit card facility, that they have the capability to delay process of the payment until the goods are ready to be despatched. If in any doubt about when the supplier will take payment, a quick email to them should get a quick reply and if not, do further research on them in this and other forums before placing an order.

I hope this info helps clarify the situation.

4railsman

• Like 1

I know about this process as it is my actual day job (Card payment processing)

A retailer can perform a check on a card to ensure it is a valid account (Usually invisibly for £0.00 but sometimes for a nominal amount such as £1.00 - as with Tesco Pay@Pump).  At the same time the retailer will request and receive a token from their payment service provider for use for future payments.

This token represents your card, but is not your card, so if stolen can't be used by anyone else. (Meaning the retailer is PCI compliant and doesn't need hideous security to store your card info) - This is otherwise known as "Card on File" and is how your various cards are stored by the likes of Amazon, who seem to have the details all ready for you at checkout.

Once items are in stock, the retailer will just charge to the token.

Now, you'd think, being my day job - and being responsible for this very process for one of the biggest payment providers in the world, it would be easy to implement at Trains4U - So why don't I do it.

It's simple - it comes down to cost - my POS/website provider doesn't support this functionality.   Changing provider means changing website, tills, stock control, reporting and everything related to sales as it is the core of my IT capability.     I am looking at changing but it is expensive and very disruptive, especially if you consider the export of years of historical data, and the import of many thousands of product lines.    Saying that, it is my number one requirement for expansion of capability.

Offering safe pre-orders with card tokenisation is relatively straightforward - if your systems support it, and it is a nightmare if they don't, which is why lots of retailers don't. (Or why they must take deposits).   I can sort out the payment side easily - I can't get the POS system to reserve items that are not paid for...

Despite being a common requirement for retailers in our field, on the whole it is a very uncommon requirement, which is why it is low on the functionality list of many POS providers.

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

On 04/12/2020 at 14:13, MikeJT said:

Well I'm regretting I didn't read this forum thread earlier!

I placed an order via Osborne's website on 15th November and payment, via Paypal was immediately taken.

No goods or any further communication has been received!

I've tried phoning - never any reply.

I've tried repeatedly emailing - again no reply.

I raised the issue through Paypal - no reply to that "dispute" either.

I've now had to resort to a formal claim through Paypal to recover my money.

I would second what others have said - there is no info on Osborne's website to indicate anything is amiss. This simply isn't good enough and given my experience isn't an isolated one I begin to wonder about the integrity of this retailer!!

Fortunately there are many other retailers in our hobby offering outstanding good service - too many to list here - but I'll be taking my business elsewhere in future and would advise others to do the same.

Mike

• Like 1

I'm in a similar position - I put in two orders in mid-November for coaches that are sold out elsewhere but showing as in stock on Osborn's website. All I have I heard since was the immediate automated order acknowledgement emails. Nothing has come and emails asking what is happening have not been answered. On their website they say they cannot answer the phone at present as the shop is closed, so emailing is the only way to contact them. So I have had to raise two queries/disputes through Paypal last week. If I don't hear back soon, I will request a refund via PayPal.

Maybe they have personal issues happening, but in that case they should switch off their website ordering facility until they can provide a basic service to customers.

However, reading this thread, there is a pattern dating back several years of them ignoring orders for something they clearly don't have in stock and then leaving it to the customer to get a refund through Paypal. So it is not just something caused by covid.

BTW, I missed this thread when searching the forum before purchasing as Osborn's is spelled wrong in the title. I wish I'd seen it...

Edited by Douglas G
Spelled Osborn's wrong (!)
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Just found another (now locked thread) with similar stories - again I didn't find it in my original search as its title says "osbornsmodels".

What concerns me is that while these reports date back over two or more years, Osborn's have still been allowed to post on RMWeb about their 3d printed and laser cut products. I know Maurice Osborn is the former proprietor and his son apparently now runs the shop, but nevertheless their products are being promoted here (with links to the shop website), and this will lead to people ordering from the shop. It is a shame, as the lorries and vans they are producing are really good. 

Edited by Douglas G
grammar
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello,

after my problems with Osborns Models during springtime. I thought why not give them a second chance, after I saw their Scania lorry. So I decided to oreder an Oxford Rail wagon and some Peco Rail Joiners for a future 00 project. These was at December 10th. I've paid with credit card. And since then no communication from Osborns. Today I asked for an update on my order. Let's see if I receive an answer.

Markus

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, McRuss said:

Hello,

after my problems with Osborns Models during springtime. I thought why not give them a second chance, after I saw their Scania lorry. So I decided to oreder an Oxford Rail wagon and some Peco Rail Joiners for a future 00 project. These was at December 10th. I've paid with credit card. And since then no communication from Osborns. Today I asked for an update on my order. Let's see if I receive an answer.

Markus

I wish you luck, but suspect the outcome will be the same as in the spring. Shame as they offer some good products but are significantly let down by their websales service. 

• Agree 3

This is sad to read.  I used to frequent Osborn Models when they were based in Abingdon.  Maurice (proprietor) was easy to get on with and a stickler for customer service.  What has gone Wrong?  Is Maurice no longer running the business?

Kind regards 

Paddy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Paddy said:

This is sad to read.  I used to frequent Osborn Models when they were based in Abingdon.  Maurice (proprietor) was easy to get on with and a stickler for customer service.  What has gone Wrong?  Is Maurice no longer running the business?

According to their website, Maurice's son took over in 2011.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Since I send my mail to Osborns Models, I haven't received no answer except for their automated reply mail. I won't push it forward, as I had only ordered two articles. But for the future I think I won't order anything from them. I'm a bit sad about these, because they've got some nice N gauge vehicles.

I also posted a warning in our german british railways forum, not to buy from Osbornes Models.

Markus

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I ordered a limited edition item from Osborns a couple of months ago knowing that it might be delayed awaiting delivery from the manufacturer. I've now received an email updating the order to dispatched so things do work out ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Richard E said:

I ordered a limited edition item from Osborns a couple of months ago knowing that it might be delayed awaiting delivery from the manufacturer. I've now received an email updating the order to dispatched so things do work out ...

I found this a couple of years ago when I ordered an 'exclusive' Oxford Diecast model. It was delivered promptly but had a fault which I was able to deal with without the need to send it back.

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

Not often with this lot it’d seem 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hornby trainset bought in march. loco faulty on delivery. returned for repair. 3 months later still not returned.

Given 14 days to return or Trading standards engaged and small claims initiated.

Absolutely do not recomend.

Also posted elsewhere on here, hopefully so more people are aware.

• Friendly/supportive 1