Osbourn's Models Bideford

Graham Walters

• RMweb Premium

Apparently some old issues are still happening at this shop.

I ordered a few items quite a few weeks ago (that the website claimed was in stock), and have heard nothing since the initial (automated) order confirmation. I've tried phoning (answerphone says to email) and emailing a number of times, but no response whatsoever. I've had to resort to getting Paypal involved to retrieve my money.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Same here - ordered some items towards the end of February, nothing since the automated confirmation. Phone call unanswered, one email so far likewise. I'll try again.......Their website indicated availability of all items ordered (by not specifically stating 'out of stock' as many other items do) but the statement on the order confirmation email "order confirmation is not confirmation of stock availability" indicates an inability to keep the website updated at a fairly basic level and is a surefire way of irritating customers. If I'd spotted that while placing the order I wouldn't have bothered. The statement then goes on to say "please contact us with any enquiries". Yeah, well.......

Still, it does say my order "will be processed as soon as possible" - which could mean tomorrow, next week, next month or next year.......sort of wish I'd paid by PayPal as well now. 

This is disappointing as their website looks at least as good as anyone else's and I was pleased to support a family-run business, but this is not looking good.......

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Same story here - ordered a few Peco/Parkside wagon kits last year through their website and have received nothing. 

I suspect that the business has cash flow problems and, with rising costs, is probably well on the way to the wall.

Darius

• Agree 1

Well that's interesting - I see there is another thread running on 'Osborn's Models Exclusives' TT120 laser-cut ply kits, and an order placed last Friday arrived 24 hours later. The packaging confirms it's the same Osborn's (obviously I had to check!)

So.........if you order items which are in stock you can enjoy exemplary service; but if you order items which are not in stock - silence. But the lack of communication means you don't really know whether the items are in stock or not, it's just an assumption!

I have reason to believe that the items I have ordered will become available again in the not-too-distant future, but under current economic conditions nothing is certain and I should have been given the choice of confirming the order and waiting, or cancelling it. But that would take 'communication'.......

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

It's very disappointing, to not get even a simple "We're sorry but this item is out of stock" (or whatever the issue is) response to my email, or a cancellation when I've requested that. No reply whatsoever...

Looking at these threads it appears to be a long-term and recurring issue. Surprising that it's not been resolved over the years, given their apparently good service in other areas.

Thankfully Paypal have ruled in my favour, so the money is being retrieved that way, at least.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Well that's interesting - I see there is another thread running on 'Osborn's Models Exclusives' TT120 laser-cut ply kits, and an order placed last Friday arrived 24 hours later. The packaging confirms it's the same Osborn's (obviously I had to check!)

So.........if you order items which are in stock you can enjoy exemplary service; but if you order items which are not in stock - silence. But the lack of communication means you don't really know whether the items are in stock or not, it's just an assumption!

I have reason to believe that the items I have ordered will become available again in the not-too-distant future, but under current economic conditions nothing is certain and I should have been given the choice of confirming the order and waiting, or cancelling it. But that would take 'communication'.......

Historically the Osborn's website has never said if something is out of stock (so it would be reasonable to assume that it is in stock).

Because of problems I have had, with them, in the past I do not purchase items from them unless they are at an exhibition and I can see the item before handing over the reddies. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Kris said:

Historically the Osborn's website has never said if something is out of stock (so it would be reasonable to assume that it is in stock).

The items I bought were noted as "2 in stock" when I bought them, and "out of stock" afterwards. So the stock count part of the website clearly works, but probably isn't being updated correctly.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

The items I bought were noted as "2 in stock" when I bought them, and "out of stock" afterwards. So the stock count part of the website clearly works, but probably isn't being updated correctly.

Are we talking about the same website? I can't see any stock quantities being stated, only "Sorry, but this item is temporarily out of stock please email for Del. Date". If this message isn't shown it's logical to assume that the item is in stock, but a random check of Bachmann wagons shows around half stated as out of stock and at the (very) old prices shown I suspect most of the remainder are not in stock either (pity, I'd have had a weathered Traffic Services Polybulk at £51!) There is no doubt that these days products this old are out of stock permanently, not temporarily, so sending an email for a delivery date would be pointless (even if any attention were paid to it........)

Yep, it's fair to say the website is not being updated correctly 🤨!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Are we talking about the same website? I can't see any stock quantities being stated, only "Sorry, but this item is temporarily out of stock please email for Del. Date". If this message isn't shown it's logical to assume that the item is in stock, but a random check of Bachmann wagons shows around half stated as out of stock and at the (very) old prices shown I suspect most of the remainder are not in stock either (pity, I'd have had a weathered Traffic Services Polybulk at £51!) There is no doubt that these days products this old are out of stock permanently, not temporarily, so sending an email for a delivery date would be pointless (even if any attention were paid to it........)

Yep, it's fair to say the website is not being updated correctly 🤨!

On re-examination (I doubted myself for a moment), it's not immediately clear what their stock level is, unless, as you say, it claims to be out of stock....

But, if you add an item to your basket, go to the basket, then increase the quantity, eventually it will tell you "only [n] in stock".

osborn1.png.f677a0a0a74eb5150ad1997c33cb48d5.png

I was sure there was a way as the only reason I bought 2 of the wagon packs was that I actually wanted 3 but they only had 2, so knew it said somewhere... but it's not immediately apparent.

A bit of a roundabout way, but it does add some detail, and backs up that yes, it is logical to assume that if it's not marked as 'out of stock' it is in stock, and this way should tell you how much stock they claim to have.

Edited by Dragonfly
  • Like 1

Problem is of course is the website linked to the tills and stock? So they might have bought 5 of something and listed 5 online, but then the shop sold 2 over the counter so they have 3 on the shelf. Does the website stock change or stay constant? 

If its not linked it must be a nightmare for them at shows as they cannot guarantee what is selling 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 29/03/2023 at 20:28, Halvarras said:

That's the thread that gave me hope that maybe they were finally on the up-and-up and I placed an order on March 27 for their flexible walling that I've been wanting for several years now. But the news that they're still up to their old tricks is discouraging. When I go to the cart, I don't get any stock info if I add the walling. Possibly that means it's out of stock?  I'm wondering now if I should just save myself the trouble and ask for a refund. I live in the U.S., so long wait times could be up to shipping or just them not shipping it at all. Do they ever send emails saying they've shipped anything, or does it just arrive in the mail one day?

EDIT: I've just received an email form Osborn's saying they had previously sent an email showing my order had shipped. I can't find that email anywhere, but I'm very happy to hear that my stuff is indeed on the way!

Edited by MattR
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, MattR said:

EDIT: I've just received an email form Osborn's saying they had previously sent an email showing my order had shipped. I can't find that email anywhere, but I'm very happy to hear that my stuff is indeed on the way!

Have you checked your spam file?

26 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Have you checked your spam file?

I have. Nothing there either. Only thing I have is the initial "Thank you for your order" email until this morning when they emailed me about my comment here. Maybe they're having email issues.

• Like 1

Ok, wow. I just arrived home from work to find my order from Osborne’s on my front porch. I only ordered this one week ago. Seven days from the UK to the U.S. is astounding. As far as this order goes, I gotta give them top marks.

B771ED32-3827-4D46-90E3-22E557064812.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I had some issues again with them. After I had received my order during 2021, I had tried them again, and during late 2021 and early 2022 there were no issues. But then when I ordered at the beginning of October 2022. I heard nothing for 2 month. The I wrote them an e-mail, no reply, I send another with the thread of contacting my credit card provider. I've got a reply stating, that they were waiting for an item, and that the would send me my order within the next few days. These was in late November. Around christmas I haven't received anything, so in contacted them again, and no answer. I gave them one week time to reply. No answer. At December 31st I wrote them another e-mail stating that by the end of the day I would regard these kind of behaviour as possible fraud, and that I will contact my card company about it. I received an e-mail stating that they had send me an e-mail that they have send the parcel. That e-mail have I never received. I waited two or three weeks. Noting happend. Now there was the Royal Mail problems with sending goods to foreign countries. In February I contacted them again, and told them that if they weren't able to send me my order via another logistic partner, I would like them to cancel my order. Now I received my order within a week with DPD. 

I think it is a shame that they show these behaviour. And it seems that only threatening them with legal consequences showed some results. 

I'm now very done with them. And I liked their 3D printed cars in N gauge very much.

Markus

• Like 2
  • Agree 1