Oakley Green Oil Depot

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

How are you planning to attach the motors to the points ?

I will be using Seeps, which fit under the board. I've cut slots directly below the tie bars before laying the points. A little disappointed that I couldn't get suitable screws today. The only ones I could find locally being countersunk screws and need to use small brass round head screws. Will try and pick these up soon.

Will be doing the wiring on the second board tomorrow. Would have done today, but temperature dropped quite quickly in the garage this afternoon.

Hi MM, I did toy with the idea of having working lights but with there being nearly 200, I thought that it was a bit much for me to do. When Cav was helping me with the design, he did ask if I wanted to leave a hole for fitting LEDs but chose not to, so it is definitely possible. Worth exploring.

I will let you know how they turn out.

Looking forward to seeing what you have done!

• RMweb Gold

Hi MM, I did toy with the idea of having working lights but with there being nearly 200, I thought that it was a bit much for me to do. When Cav was helping me with the design, he did ask if I wanted to leave a hole for fitting LEDs but chose not to, so it is definitely possible. Worth exploring.

I will let you know how they turn out.

Looking forward to seeing what you have done!

Thanks for the info, please let me know how they work out.

• RMweb Gold

Between doing the under board wiring, been doing a bit more on the depot building. However, progress has halted until I get some more cladding at the weekend...

Cladding has been added to one end wall and needs a little tidying up, but gives the idea. I've also added the 'concrete' blocks internally. Still need to add the internal wind braces and purlins, but Will wait until the cladding has been finished.

Anyway, a couple of quick photos off my tablet. Better photos to follow when made more progress.

post-7854-0-92883300-1422280739.jpg

post-7854-0-89877300-1422280862.jpg

Edited by mudmagnet
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Bought the Powercab and accessory decoders today at Stafford and hope to get the first trains running tomorrow! Fitting the point motors and decoders later.

Slight draw back, couldn't get the Evergreen siding for the depot, so progress on building halted under I get some ordered online....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Connected the PowerCab today !

After a couple of minor issues with the wiring, all working !

Need to get the point motors fitted, which will probably now be at the weekend. Then will need to fit the accessory decoders. Been reading the 'manuals' this afternoon and hopefully should be fairly straightforward ......

Bought a CML DAC20 (8 way) and a Digitrax DS52 (2 way). Only trouble is that there are 5 points on each board and the cross-over pair will be operated as one. Not sure whether to put both decoders on one board or split onto each, then run the wires from decoder to point motors via a connector at the board joint. Will see which is going to be most appropriate .....

Anyway, a few photos.

post-7854-0-23666400-1422811153.jpg

post-7854-0-77634900-1422811153.jpg

post-7854-0-32590700-1422811154.jpg

post-7854-0-87316300-1422811154.jpg

• Like 13

Interesting to say the least Richard

Sizable project will be reluctant to sell on with all the work involved? - must be worth your while.

Pilchard tins* make good slim depot style tanks like the ones at Ipswich - but I think yours will need to be more substantial.

I looked in to doing the base and bottom quarter of a cooling tower for an MGR themed layout but the dimensions got too silly :no:

Ian

*remove contents first

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to say the least Richard

Sizable project will be reluctant to sell on with all the work involved? - must be worth your while.

Pilchard tins* make good slim depot style tanks like the ones at Ipswich - but I think yours will need to be more substantial.

I looked in to doing the base and bottom quarter of a cooling tower for an MGR themed layout but the dimensions got too silly :no:

Ian

*remove contents first

Hi I an

Its good to have a project to get my teeth into!

So far I've not become attached to the layout as I would with my own personal projects, that may change of course!. I've built and sold my own layouts in the past and when sold it is usually because I've become less attached or had no reason to keep. This is different as the basic concept is someone else's idea and although it will be very much my style of modelling, I've approached it differently than normal. I enjoy building layouts as a whole, so get the satisfaction in building to the best of my ability. I'm also expecting to learn new things as well!

To be honest, I've pretty much decided on the tanks and the basic form. Next task is to get the plastic pipe and cut a few lengths, make some sketches and get these built, even if only in part finished condition. Getting these positioned will dictate the surrounding area and will also set the scene much better. The same is true of the depot building as everything else is fitted around this. The way the scene develops with other buildings details I find, depends on a few major components. So Oakley Green will develop around the depot building, tanks, bridge and parcels area. The other buildings / features will then be designed to fit round these.

Its also about creating various views and using some view blockers to make the layout more interesting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Richard,

lt was great to have a chat with you and Ray on Saturday, layout is coming on very nicely, glad you got your power sorted, well done, keep the pictures coming..

George

Hi George

Good to see you and Andy on Saturday.

Not too much more that can be shown in the photos until the point motors have been fitted. Then can get on with the "fun" stuff, starting then with the ballast etc.

Hi I an

Its good to have a project to get my teeth into!

So far I've not become attached to the layout as I would with my own personal projects, that may change of course!. I've built and sold my own layouts in the past and when sold it is usually because I've become less attached or had no reason to keep. This is different as the basic concept is someone else's idea and although it will be very much my style of modelling, I've approached it differently than normal. I enjoy building layouts as a whole, so get the satisfaction in building to the best of my ability. I'm also expecting to learn new things as well!

To be honest, I've pretty much decided on the tanks and the basic form. Next task is to get the plastic pipe and cut a few lengths, make some sketches and get these built, even if only in part finished condition. Getting these positioned will dictate the surrounding area and will also set the scene much better. The same is true of the depot building as everything else is fitted around this. The way the scene develops with other buildings details I find, depends on a few major components. So Oakley Green will develop around the depot building, tanks, bridge and parcels area. The other buildings / features will then be designed to fit round these.

Its also about creating various views and using some view blockers to make the layout more interesting.

Yes - that's my problem at times - rarely got the return back financially also another persons perception is not necessarily your own.

Ian

Between doing the under board wiring, been doing a bit more on the depot building. However, progress has halted until I get some more cladding at the weekend...

Cladding has been added to one end wall and needs a little tidying up, but gives the idea. I've also added the 'concrete' blocks internally. Still need to add the internal wind braces and purlins, but Will wait until the cladding has been finished.

Anyway, a couple of quick photos off my tablet. Better photos to follow when made more progress.

attachicon.gifrps20150126_135236.jpg

attachicon.gifrps20150126_140229.jpg

Very nice.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Plan to get some more progress over the weekend. Been delayed a little waiting for more plastic sheet (metal siding for the depot walls), which has arrived today, so can get more work completed on the depot tonight. Also, paint for the track arrived in the same package (Lifecolor sleeper grime and track dirt) so out with the airbrush. Once the track has been painted, then I can start the ballasting.

Also need to get the point motors fitted, which can get done between painting and ballasting. Then fit and wire the accessory decoders.

Then need to get Orchard Road out as taking to Biggleswade next Saturday (14th) and also need to do a couple of things on Acacia Avenue before the weekend .......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After the rugby, sat and mat up the two sides and then carefully glued together with the two ends! Quite a tricky task, but get there in the end. Still quite a flimsy structure, but still plenty to add which will help to stiffen and will be fine when eventually glued into position. The removable roof will follow later. Don't want to glue down until painted and provision for lights added.

Will place on the layout later and will take some more photos, but the two below show the still crude and far from finished state of play.

post-7854-0-06425800-1423301515.jpg

post-7854-0-98411600-1423301533.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

That is very good.

Evergreen   - expensive but versatile.

Ian

Thanks.

Yes, Evergreen not cheap, but looks the part. Only managed to get two sheets, but had just enough to get the external completed.

Sprayed the track this morning and started the ballasting. Photos to follow tomorrow. Hope to get more ballasting done tomorrow.

• Like 1

Hi Richard,

Track for Fiddle arrived yesterday, couple of pictures attached.  Just laid out track for now to see how well it fits, looks ok, just waiting for cork to arrive and then I will get laying !

Speak soon

Jamie

post-25225-0-73737900-1423413228_thumb.jpg

post-25225-0-97631500-1423413231_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Spend a few hours ballasting the track yesterday / today. Once the glue has thoroughly dried, will go round a tidy up. There is undoubtly some areas where the ballast has not been glued properly so will need touching up and some ballast that decides to ride up the rails / sleepers where not required. The whole track / ballast will be airbrushed with further track colour / oil spills etc over time. I find that it is best to gradually build this up as and when adjacent scenic areas are added. This way certain areas can be blended in - e.g. at the fuel points etc.

I've used Green Scene ballast (4mm) and for me can be applied realatively easy (also used their 'Ballast Mate', which was useful for doinbg the plain track - but points and approaches to these needing to be done by hand). I've not dampened the track, but just applied thinned PVA (at least 50% water / screen wash mix) using a small syringe starting by gently dribling a small amount on the outside if the ballast on both sides, then when this starts to soak in, further glue mix is applied until this eventually soaks into the centre of the track.

I painted the track using Lifecolor paints (sleeper grime and track dirt), the former applied all over and then mixture with the second onto the rails, wiping off the excess with a cloth before the paint has dried. All applied with my airbrush. I really like this paints and use some of the other shades for loco weathering etc and recommend these.

Anyway, a few photos, before the glue has dried and ballast cleaned up. Hope to get a few little bits done this week.....

post-7854-0-01806300-1423424440.jpg

post-7854-0-80846000-1423424440.jpg

post-7854-0-84445300-1423424442.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

Track for Fiddle arrived yesterday, couple of pictures attached.  Just laid out track for now to see how well it fits, looks ok, just waiting for cork to arrive and then I will get laying !

Speak soon

Jamie

hi Jamie,

Good to see that you've got the fiddle yard track. I'd suggest using Evostick impact or Copydex to glue the cork down and PVA or Copydex to glue the track down, unless you are just going to pin down. You might want to make some of the sidings longer if you can.

Speak soon

Richard