Oakley Green Oil Depot

mudmagnet

hi Jamie,

Good to see that you've got the fiddle yard track. I'd suggest using Evostick impact or Copydex to glue the cork down and PVA or Copydex to glue the track down, unless you are just going to pin down. You might want to make some of the sidings longer if you can.

Speak soon

Richard

Hi Mate,  Yes, all the sidings will run to the edge of the board, I was trying out the lay down to see how the points fitted together.

Thanks for the information regarding the glue down process, I was planning to just PVA the cork to the board, but if you think EVOstik is better I will go and get some, and then as you say use PVA for the track.

With regard to the ballasting, are you planning to run the ballast over the edge of the foam ? to create a ridge or will the ballast finish where it is now ?

speak soon

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mate,  Yes, all the sidings will run to the edge of the board, I was trying out the lay down to see how the points fitted together.

Thanks for the information regarding the glue down process, I was planning to just PVA the cork to the board, but if you think EVOstik is better I will go and get some, and then as you say use PVA for the track.

With regard to the ballasting, are you planning to run the ballast over the edge of the foam ? to create a ridge or will the ballast finish where it is now ?

speak soon

Jamie

Hi Mate,

The ballast at the moment is only on the track, but will be extended over the faom and onto the board and will probably use a finer grade. Some of the areas between the foam will be filled in with cardbaord first as there wouldn't be much of a ballast shoulder around the yard areas. Will also add a few puddles etc. I just find for me that building up the ballast / scenics around the track works better. As mentioned above, the scene sort of develops organically at times, although I do have clear mental pictures of some areas and certainly the key areas.

Very nice work on the depot building MM, looks superb.

Thanks, still plenty to do though .......

• Like 1

Hi Richard

Just stumbled upon this thread but will be following with interest. The layout is a very similar size to mine on which I will be including an oil terminal / depot. I'm slightly embarrassed it's taken me 18 months to get to a similar stage with Laoson Valley as you have achieved in just over a month!

With respect to tanks, I have used two Rix kits (from which I have made three tanks - see post #60 in my Laoson Valley thread - link in my signature). One of the layouts that got me back into model railways is Oulton Road TMD - the oil tank on that layout is soil pipe. (The Oulton Road thread on RMWeb has some photos but loads more it it's Facebook page).

Are you planning on using an overhead structure for the wagon unloading area or just the ground level discharge points? I'm going to build an overhead - just as I think it look more impressive....

Loving the depot building. Renewing mine is somewhere on my (long) to-do list!

Cheers  

• RMweb Gold

Hi Sam

Thanks for the info on the tanks. I do vaguely remember seeing these on your thread.

Will have a look for a UK supplier and have a look at the cost.

The discharge pipes will be low level and have a few photos or links to a few prototypes to copy. Will be a few weeks before getting these started though!

• Like 2

Hi Mate,

I was thinking about the signalling, do you think it would be right to a a semaphore or light signal, plus it would be likely that having an oil depot and shed arrangement that there would be a direction signal, maybe ground mounted or conventional, thoughts ?  plus to leave the yard would also most likely have the same but ground mounted ?  these could be linked and switched via a switch mounted next to the control interface ?

let me know your thoughts.

Jamie

post-25225-0-27467900-1423509107.jpg

post-25225-0-14112800-1423509108.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bought some more plastic bits today - "purlins" for the inside of the shed, which will be fitted horizontally, "concrete blocks" so can finish the lower internal walls and some profile sheets for the roof (will take some photos later this week).

It all started by popping into Model Railways Direct in Porteshead to buy some Bachmann oil drums, then coming out with a bag of bits! Actually some of the oil drums will be for East Molton Lane and Acacia Avenue!

Hope to get some modelling done tomorrow evening!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Been working on the depot building today, adding internal details so getting closer to painting.

Also made a start on the hard-standing both inside and outside the main depot building.

Photos to follow when I've got a bit more to show,

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Managed to get the cork and track laid for the fiddle yard.  I used 3mm cork and glued with Evostik as recommended by Richard, then the track was glued with PVA.  It is out in the garage so the PVA took a few days to dry seeing it is so cold still,

The track is code 100 Peco, so hopefully will run well.

I will be switching the points manually, so have left the connector wires underneath, I will however be wiring a live pair to every siding, so that all locos can be left running on the DCC if needs be.

Any comments welcome,

cheers Jamie

post-25225-0-88196500-1424540662_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A quick update - very much work in progress.

The brick work has been painted and I've started adding the guttering and down pipes (note that the depot will be sunk into the base hence the apparent short down pipes). Only one section of the roof has been started, just give an impression of where the roof will be heading and for positioning the gutter. I will add sky lights to the roof panels. Only a few sections have been painted and only a base coat. I will probably airbrush the inside as rather tricky to get the paint brush into the crevices and around the roof trusses.

post-7854-0-20533700-1424698979.jpg

post-7854-0-96817000-1424698979.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Will the centre opening have a working door ?  (Wire in tube from under the baseboard to push the door up from one of the sides)

Hi Stu

Not got as far as thinking about the doors yet.

Would be interesting to have working doors, but not sure that I will have enough time to design, build and debug before the exhibition deadline.

Don't discount the idea yet .....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi MM, very nice work on the depot. Loving the brick work and cladding.

I too have been thinking about working roller shutter doors so will be following closely to see if you succumb and install a working door!

Looking forward to your next update.

Don't hold your breath Alex!

One of the issues is keeping the 'door' under tension at the bottom. Because the roof is removable and therefore the interior of the depot open, any mechanism needs to be discrete.

• RMweb Gold

Two channels, one either side of the door. The wire comes up through a hole beside one channel and attached to an arm on the door.

There should be enough friction in the wire and tube to prevent the door from dropping.

I can draw this up if required, when I get to a pc.

Hi Rich, 

Do not worry about working doors, I am happy to have them fixed, as I will not be looking to open and close them.

As you say, there is a great deal to do before the exhibition, and I would rather you concentrate on the 'Slatey detail', around the depot and grounds.

Operating doors would be a great addition to the layout, but time is the key.

Speak soon, Jamie

PS. Depot building looking great !

Edited by Selborne