Oakley Green Oil Depot

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Two channels, one either side of the door. The wire comes up through a hole beside one channel and attached to an arm on the door.

There should be enough friction in the wire and tube to prevent the door from dropping.

I can draw this up if required, when I get to a pc.

Yeah, I follow what you suggest. Thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich, 

Do not worry about working doors, I am happy to have them fixed, as I will not be looking to open and close them.

As you say, there is a great deal to do before the exhibition, and I would rather you concentrate on the 'Slatey detail', around the depot and grounds.

Operating doors would be a great addition to the layout, but time is the key.

Speak soon, Jamie

PS. Depot building looking great !

I'd agree about the opening doors. Would be nice on a smaller layout though!

Picked up some more paint today. The outer walls will be a darker shade than the inside, similar to the sheds on East Molton Lane. Hope to get the airbrush out tomorrow evening to spray the inside.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a bit of time late afternoon to finally get some more progress with the wiring!

Fitted one of the accessory decoders onto the depot board (8 way), so needed to wire three sets of wires to run back onto the 'bridge' board. Wired the 4 points, plus cross over to the decoder. Need to get the bridge board done next, then can program the decoders (a 2-way will be fitted on the bridge board) and then tidy the wires & trim the ends of the point motors currently left long protruding through the tie-bars.

Also, want to get a bit more painting completed on the depot building.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fitted, wired and set-up the two accessory decoders today.

The Digitrax one (2-way) throws the point motors (Seep) over with a nice 'thump', but need a seperate power supply for the CML DAC20 (8-way), especially for the cross-over.

Need to swap the wires round on the DAC20 as the point motors throw the wrong way from how I want to set them up, but will do this later when I can get under the boards a bit easier.

At least they all work !

A little line up of a few of the locos that will be run on the layout, 

All have sound, and are as follows;

Class 50 - Hornby with South West Digital Sound chip plus Digitrains sugar cube speakers x 2

Class 47 - Bachmann - Olivia Trains supplied with sound, lights etc

Class 33 - Heljan - Olivia Trains supplied with sound, lights etc

Class 31 - Hornby - Olivia Trains supplied with sound, lights etc

Class 37 - Bachmann - with factory supplied sound and speakers (will upgrade speakers when I have five mins

I also have;

Class 08 - Bachmann with South West Digital Sound chip plus Digitrains sugar cube speaker

2 x Bachmann C;lass 25's with standard Bachmann sound

I plan to get a few more more locos for the layout, this will include, Class 40. Class 52, Class 35, Class 20 and a Class 73 if I can find one with sound and in BR blue.

We will see,

post-25225-0-00760500-1425237401_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

A few 'in-progress' photos. Still plenty of things to finish on the depot, but gives an idea where we are heading. A few sections of paint to touch up, then weathering.

The interior hard-standing is getting near paint stage, then the depot can be glued down. The exterior hard-standing can then be finished, hence looking a bit rough at the moment.

post-7854-0-57547000-1425304837.jpg

post-7854-0-13653000-1425304838.jpg

post-7854-0-79098700-1425304838.jpg

post-7854-0-67611800-1425304839.jpg

A couple of views under the boards, firstly with the DAC20 and then Digitrax decoders. The wires just to get things working and yet to ge tidied up.

post-7854-0-88341400-1425304844.jpg

post-7854-0-09159900-1425304846.jpg

• Like 13

A little line up of a few of the locos that will be run on the layout, 

All have sound, and are as follows;

Class 50 - Hornby with South West Digital Sound chip plus Digitrains sugar cube speakers x 2

Class 47 - Bachmann - Olivia Trains supplied with sound, lights etc

Class 33 - Heljan - Olivia Trains supplied with sound, lights etc

Class 31 - Hornby - Olivia Trains supplied with sound, lights etc

Class 37 - Bachmann - with factory supplied sound and speakers (will upgrade speakers when I have five mins

I also have;

Class 08 - Bachmann with South West Digital Sound chip plus Digitrains sugar cube speaker

2 x Bachmann C;lass 25's with standard Bachmann sound

I plan to get a few more more locos for the layout, this will include, Class 40. Class 52, Class 35, Class 20 and a Class 73 if I can find one with sound and in BR blue.

We will see,

A very healthy line up if may say so.

:locomotive:  :locomotive: :locomotive:  

VERY NICE INDEED.

• RMweb Gold

The garage is certainly warmer with the heater, plus the ambient temperature is higher, so this helps.

The depot floor has had its first coat of paint this evening ! Getting closer to glueing the depot down !

Been running a loco up and down this evening. A bit of cleaning of stray ballast in a few places. One short across a point, so needs rectifying. Should be simple enough though.

I'll get some photos taken at the weekend.

My wife is out Friday evening, so will get chance to spend a little more time in the garage then. Will be watching a new bluray though - Judas Priest - Epitaph recorded at Hammersmith May 2012 - I was there, along with Selborne ! With the wife being out, I can turn up the volume to a sensible volume for listening to heavy metal !

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

How have you found the DAC20?

I have used them on rebuilding Fort Myers but even using a power supply to max allowable voltage / current I have not been able to get one output to throw a crossover.

The Digitrax DS64's will however.

Otherwise the DAC20s are great.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

How have you found the DAC20?

I have used them on rebuilding Fort Myers but even using a power supply to max allowable voltage / current I have not been able to get one output to throw a crossover.

The Digitrax DS64's will however.

Otherwise the DAC20s are great.

Hi Ian

I'm currently using a power supply that I use on Orchard Road, which is, from memory, 16 VDC. This does provide plenty of power to throw the blades. I will however, need a permanent power supply when the layout is nearing completion. Will need to check exactly what is required and available.

I've not changed any settings / CV's as doesn't seem to be necessary, although may set up a couple of macros on the powercab. Also, may look at the various outputs that could be used for the signals.....

Overall, pleased with how it works and really easy to program using the powercab. Actually, the Digitrax was simple as well. Of course, this latter having larger capacitors does need additional power supply, plus connected to two points that likely to be used the least.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Richard,

Nice line up of blue motive power, really coming on, keep the pics coming..

GT

Hi George,

Those are Jamie's locos, but I think he will be ordering some more!

I'll take some photos with a few of my locos over the weekend.

• Like 1

Hi Richard,

Just ordered the Judas Priest - Epitaph recorded at Hammersmith May 2012 on Bluray as well, found it on Amazon, should get it tomorrow !!

I was thinking, if we are going to lights in the yard and shed, and have powered signals, then get a really good power supply that is regulated and has the 16vac or 12vdc outputs, what is the module voltage for the point control ?  If you got a plug in adapter, then you could just fit a female socket on the layout to plug in ?

And thanks Andrew for the thumbs up on the line up for the locos !

Speak soon,

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

Just ordered the Judas Priest - Epitaph recorded at Hammersmith May 2012 on Bluray as well, found it on Amazon, should get it tomorrow !!

I was thinking, if we are going to lights in the yard and shed, and have powered signals, then get a really good power supply that is regulated and has the 16vac or 12vdc outputs, what is the module voltage for the point control ?  If you got a plug in adapter, then you could just fit a female socket on the layout to plug in ?

And thanks Andrew for the thumbs up on the line up for the locos !

Speak soon,

Jamie

Enjoyed watching the bluray last night! Turned the volume up!

Anyway, back to the layout.

I'll get the power supply sorted soon.

Been sawing wood today!

Back scene boards cut and fitted, along with front facsia ( these will need profiling to suit the topography ). Made a start to the bridge as well!

Will get some photos tomorrow!

• Like 1

Hi Richard

Not sure how I've missed this, but I'm following the topic now. It's looking really good, the shed especially.  When's the first exhibition booked with it then and how long until you lose count of how many layouts you have  

Never mind, seen the first post  :banghead:

Edited by hornbyandbf3fan

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

Not sure how I've missed this, but I'm following the topic now. It's looking really good, the shed especially.  When's the first exhibition booked with it then and how long until you lose count of how many layouts you have  

Never mind, seen the first post  :banghead:

Thanks Will

Yes booked for our club show in July. Are you going to able to come up?

As mentioned, building for a friend, so will be running mostly his locos at the show.

Last count, I have another 7 layouts, of various sizes / scales / gauges in the garage!

• RMweb Gold

OK, after a successful day yesterday and another hour this morning, a bit more progress.

The buffer stops have been fitted to the ends of the sidings that need them. The two remaining will be inside the parcels depot, so these have not been missed!

I've glued the depot building down and glued wooden strips around the edge, to make easier to build the outside ground level up. Still some more work to do on the external hard-standing, but plan to get some more of this done later, after the tile grout applied this morning has dried.

The bridge structure has been constructed from plywood and slopes down and across the board - i.e. not perpendicular. So, will be making a start on the girder and abutments this afternoon!

The photos also show my recent 37 pruchase. The other two buildings are just placed on the board as I've not decided where to put these yet.

post-7854-0-51603200-1425816246.jpg

post-7854-0-31340400-1425816256.jpg

post-7854-0-93599300-1425816269.jpg

post-7854-0-84348900-1425816290.jpg

post-7854-0-02035500-1425816299.jpg

post-7854-0-96055400-1425816299.jpg

post-7854-0-60672600-1425816251.jpg

post-7854-0-25149700-1425816284.jpg

post-7854-0-17768500-1425816297.jpg

post-7854-0-57171100-1425816262.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Bit far for me to visit unless I can abandon various family members at the beach somewhere but ill see if I can

And how do you get away with having severn layouts in he garage :D :D

Will be good to see you, if you can make it !

Oh, the car has never seen the inside of the garage and my wife rarely ventures into the garage ......

• Like 3

The layout is really coming on now MM, the hard standing is looking good. Nice to see the depot in position, weathering looks very good.

Good purchase, I believe 37428 carried Large Logo livery into the early 90s, 1990/1991 may be? I have thought about having that one myself.