New Palethorpes van transfers from Cambridge Custom Transfers

cctransuk

attachicon.gifKey-BL144.JPG attachicon.gifKey-BL145.JPG

Above are low resolution images of the latest transfer sheets to be added to my range.

The CEMFLO transfers have been requested many times over the years, but I was dubious about the accuracy of the old Tri-ang Hornby model.

It turns out that, apart from being a scale 1ft. short, the basic body moulding is not bad at all. I will be cutting-and-shutting bodies to add in the missing 4mm., and scratch-building the chassis; (I have some Genesis Kits castings for the axleboxes / suspension, but they don't currently seem to be listed).

The COND, ONE JOURNEY ONLY / LOCO COAL and chalk markings were requested by a modeller who had quite a few wooden bodied mineral wagons that he wished to put to good use.

Full details can be found at http://www.cctrans.org.uk/latest.htm .

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

post-2274-0-62606900-1421083203_thumb.jpg post-2274-0-24864600-1421083237_thumb.jpg

Above are low resolution images of the latest transfer sheets to be added to my range.

The CEMFLO transfers have been requested many times over the years, but I was dubious about the accuracy of the old Tri-ang Hornby model.

It turns out that, apart from being a scale 1ft. short, the basic body moulding is not bad at all. I will be cutting-and-shutting bodies to add in the missing 4mm., and scratch-building the chassis; (I have some Genesis Kits castings for the axleboxes / suspension, but they don't currently seem to be listed).

The COND, ONE JOURNEY ONLY / LOCO COAL and chalk markings were requested by a modeller who had quite a few wooden bodied mineral wagons that he wished to put to good use.

Full details can be found at http://www.cctrans.org.uk/latest.htm .

Regards,

John Isherwood,

• RMweb Gold

Excellent news on the Cemflo's, might get on with mine again.

Think you might need a new ruler though John, they're actually 18" too short!! Should be 23 feet long.

Mike.

As an afterthought, when cutting and shutting, keep to the same coloured bodies, the grey and yellow take a bit more fettling when mixed.

Excellent news on the Cemflo's, might get on with mine again.

Think you might need a new ruler though John, they're actually 18" too short!! Should be 23 feet long.

Mike.

As an afterthought, when cutting and shutting, keep to the same coloured bodies, the grey and yellow take a bit more fettling when mixed.

Mike, I think we are both in error - the true length is 5 mm. longer than the model.

The BR diagram gives a length over tank of 7.010 m. (23'-0'' or 92 mm. at 4 mm. scale).

The model measures 87 mm. over the tank; hence an error of 5 mm. (1'-3'' at 4 mm. scale).

Guess what - I have one yellow body in stock, and a grey one in the post via Ebay !!

Perhaps I'd better look out for some more.

Regards,

John.

• RMweb Gold

Mike, I think we are both in error - the true length is 5 mm. longer than the model.

The BR diagram gives a length over tank of 7.010 m. (23'-0'' or 92 mm. at 4 mm. scale).

The model measures 87 mm. over the tank; hence an error of 5 mm. (1'-3'' at 4 mm. scale).

Guess what - I have one yellow body in stock, and a grey one in the post via Ebay !!

Perhaps I'd better look out for some more.

Regards,

John.

Hi John.

Must admit I can't exactly remember, it's been a while now, but I "thought" I'd measured excluding the reinforcing rim on the end of the tank which I'm going to get etched.

Could also be a difference between the 2 colours, anything is possible in Triang land!

Shall we start a new thread, I'll do some work in progress pics?

Mike.

Hi John.

Must admit I can't exactly remember, it's been a while now, but I "thought" I'd measured excluding the reinforcing rim on the end of the tank which I'm going to get etched.

Could also be a difference between the 2 colours, anything is possible in Triang land!

Shall we start a new thread, I'll do some work in progress pics?

Mike.

Why not - I'll do the same.

I will be sticking with the moulded rim - I'm very much a 'layout modeller' - a la Tony Wright !!

I obtained a couple of COVHOPS off Ebay last evening which, with the one body I have to hand, will enable me to produce a couple of reasonably accurate models.

However, I keep visualising the Uddington block train, with all it's 1960s 'silver snake' modernity. This could become an obsession !!

One thing is certain, I'll keep my Heljan DP2 WELL away from them !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi John, hope your not going to produce transfers saying 'Uddington' cause there's an 'S' missing, it should be Uddingston. It's just over the river from me and apart from the cement plant its also where the famous Tunnocks factory is. Ahh, the occasional Caramel Wafer smell when the wind is in the right direction.

Dave Franks

Frae snowy Blantyre as mentioned on Portillos journeys last week.

Why not - I'll do the same.

I will be sticking with the moulded rim - I'm very much a 'layout modeller' - a la Tony Wright !!

I obtained a couple of COVHOPS off Ebay last evening which, with the one body I have to hand, will enable me to produce a couple of reasonably accurate models.

However, I keep visualising the Uddington block train, with all it's 1960s 'silver snake' modernity. This could become an obsession !!

One thing is certain, I'll keep my Heljan DP2 WELL away from them !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Did these beasts work elsewhere apart from the Kent- Uddingston run during the 1960s? I ask as, in a recent photo thread (possibly Dave F?), there were some photos of the south end of Stafford station with one of these seemingly abandoned in one of the Up sidings. Presumably it had been stopped for examination.

Hi John, hope your not going to produce transfers saying 'Uddington' cause there's an 'S' missing, it should be Uddingston. It's just over the river from me and apart from the cement plant its also where the famous Tunnocks factory is. Ahh, the occasional Caramel Wafer smell when the wind is in the right direction.

Dave Franks

Well - that shows how often I've misread captions !! Don't worry - I don't think that the CEMFLOs carried route allocation markings.

Caramel Wafer breezes - you lucky beggar !! When we moved here to Bodmin we noticed the Tulip / Danepak factory, and savoured the (at first) appetising smell of bacon it produced when the wind was in the east. That was until we were disabused of the notion that it derived from some delectable bacon product - it seems that it is produced when the pig by-products are incinerated !! :stink:

Nuff said !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The GRCW GA agrees with this. It might be useful to know that it states the tank diameter as 8'-2" inside, with 1/4" plate thickness.

The Nim.

The GRCW GA agrees with this. It might be useful to know that it states the tank diameter as 8'-2" inside, with 1/4" plate thickness.

The Nim.

I checked from the BR diagram, and the diameter over tank matched the model closely enough for me.

The moulding by T-H of the two different vacuum cylinders is somewhat 'low relief'; the standard dome-topped one is easily sourced, but does anyone know a source for the larger one with a horizontally-midway raised rib? (As found on Walrus ballast hoppers).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I checked from the BR diagram, and the diameter over tank matched the model closely enough for me.

The moulding by T-H of the two different vacuum cylinders is somewhat 'low relief'; the standard dome-topped one is easily sourced, but does anyone know a source for the larger one with a horizontally-midway raised rib? (As found on Walrus ballast hoppers).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I had some from ABS, I recollect...

I had some from ABS, I recollect...

Thanks for that, very helpful - I'll have a word with Adrian (when I have half an hour spare) !!

It occurs to me though - that is exactly what I bought the (now rather dusty) Unimat for !!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Dave Franks

Happy New Year Tunny bar boy.

Glad you are paying attention Dave, the brake cylinders would come in useful pretty please!! (also anything else that takes your fancy, eg axlebox/springs)

Luckily your BP04's will do nicely so that's saved you a job.

Mike.

Happy New Year Tunny bar boy.

Glad you are paying attention Dave, the brake cylinders would come in useful pretty please!! (also anything else that takes your fancy, eg axlebox/springs)

Luckily your BP04's will do nicely so that's saved you a job.

Mike.

Well - I've just been talking to Ken Bridger of Genesis Kits; he who DID the CEMFLO axlebox / suspension castings. I have established that these castings are not in Ken's current list and that he hadn't intended producing any more. That said, if there was sufficient demand he would consider it, IF the mould is still viable.

Ken's castings are perfectly adequate for the likes of me, but not up to davefrk's standard by a long chalk.

Is there any chance of some CEMFLO axlebox / suspension castings, Dave, or do I try and establish the level of demand for the Genesis item? I would imagine that, given the relative ease of acquisition and the (current) low price of the Tri-ang Hornby mouldings, modellers contemplating the CEMFLO would be thinking in terms of an Uddingston rake, and so will need LOTS of castings.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Well - I've just been talking to Ken Bridger of Genesis Kits; he who DID the CEMFLO axlebox / suspension castings. I have established that these castings are not in Ken's current list and that he hadn't intended producing any more.

I have decided not to use the Genesis castings, as I have sourced sufficient items from a different supplier to complete the rake of ten wagons (thanks Ebay!) that I am planning.

I therefore have two sets of four Genesis axlebox / suspension castings for disposal; these include the rubber spring dampers that were added after introduction - see post 17 above.

The price is £2.50 per set, plus P&P at cost.

Contact me off-thread if interested.

Regards,

John Isherwood

PS. I know that this isn't the Sales thread, but it'll only interest CEMFLO modellers.

• 2 weeks later...

post-2274-0-41774400-1422548998_thumb.jpg post-2274-0-67772300-1422549030_thumb.jpg

Above are low resolution images of the latest transfer sheets to be added to my range; both sheets were requested by list members.

The STURGEON / STURGEON A transfers are available as several regional variants; see http://www.cctrans.org.uk/latest.htm for full details.

The GUNPOWDER van transfers include both BR-built and ex-GWR, LMS & LNER examples, in two styles of lettering. You will see that some red G.P.V. markings are included for the very early BR period.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

So, with great difficulty, (well for me anyway), I individually letter my sturgeon, then you do this to me, aaargh!!!

At least I didn't do them all, phew.

Mike.

Mike,

I hate to tell you this, but STURGEON transfers have been available on my transfer sheet S2B/C since before the Cambrian kits were released.

Sheet S2B/C is continuously updated to include the most recent Cambrian kits, together with transfers for kits that have been announced but not yet released.

You will note from http://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm that regional variants are available of Cambrian kits sheets S2A & S2B/C.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Only just caught up with this thread and see there are questions for me...... Axleboxes have been considered but I've still got a list of other things to do incuding a selection of different vac cylinders and some other vac pipes and airpipes, not to mention the bufferstops. So much to do and so little time.

Thanks for the wagon buffer mentions guys.

Dave Franks

• 3 weeks later...

The Uddingston - Cliffe was generally 24 hoppers and I've just about finished a full rake taking about 4mm out of the width over the sole bars. This is the most noticeable problem with the triang model. I can live with the length issue.

I got almost everything from Wizard Models.

Buffers

Vac Pipes

Dome top cylinder

W irons

Axle boxes/springs etc

Wheels

Soft iron wire from Eileen

Turned out to be quite an expensive wagon. I even considered having the walkway made but the overall cost was getting out of hand.

However, if there is a supply of the other cylinder from ABS I'd be very interested in 24 please.

I expect to complete within the next couple of weeks and be ready to paint soon after.

Bob

PS

Hand wheels from Colin Craig (who will also provide a jig to "dish" the handles - gratis).

Also from Wizard - BR vacuum brake changeover levers. These look remarkably like the levers which are on both sides of the vehicle, above the sole bar.

I've elected to use the Railtec Cemflo transfer for my rake of 24 hoppers. If Pete Waterman thinks they're OK, who am I to disagree?

If there is enough interest in cemflo, maybe there should be a separate thread on the subject.

Bob

Archived