New Palethorpes van transfers from Cambridge Custom Transfers

cctransuk

I've elected to use the Railtec Cemflo transfer for my rake of 24 hoppers. If Pete Waterman thinks they're OK, who am I to disagree?

An interesting point !!

Railtec refer to "Cemflo PC003A original livery (to suit Hornby R564)", and to "A correction of the original Hornby decal which incorrectly showed blue on white throughout".

I hadn't come across the reference to the long lettering panel having black rather than blue lettering; (anyone know the source of this assertion?); and I'd assumed, like Railtec, that the background to this long panel was white.

However, post-2274-0-63818300-1424357005.jpg clearly indicates a yellow background to this panel.

I have amended my transfer sheet (above) to have a yellow panel background and, if conclusive proof is forthcoming, I will amend the panel lettering from blue to black.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 1 month later...

To assist modellers who wish to renumber the BR-liveried versions of the new Hornby ex-LMS non-corridor coaches, I have just produced a new transfer sheet - BL148.

This sheet also covers the Airfix / Dapol lavatory non-corridor coaches.

The sheet provides, (in triplicate to allow for errors), numbers for twenty-four coaches of each of five diagrams.

Where appropriate, I have included numbers for the third (second) class and composite coaches fitted for pull / push working; no doubt Hornby will produce the driving coaches in due course.

Full details at http://www.cctrans.org.uk/latest.htm .

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 2 weeks later...

At the request of a customer, I have just designed the following transfer sheets :-

Sheet BL150 - BR & ex-GWR shunting trucks, including numbering and allocation lettering, for the BR period.

Three numbering / allocation variant sheets available as follows; (PLEASE STATE VARIANT REQUIRED) :-

a – allocations A to H;

b - allocations K to P;

c - allocations R to Y.

2mm., 3mm., 3.5mm. &  4mm. scale price is £7.00

S scale price is £14.00

7mm. scale price is £21.00

Gauge 1 price is £28.00

Regards,

John Isherwood.

http://www.cctrans.org.uk/

• 2 weeks later...

As the customer who requested the sheet for re lettering ex GWR Shunting trucks I am attaching my partially re lettered Bachmann truck (ref no 38-79). I am building a layout based upon Trench Sidings just outside Wellington and also having recently acquiring a photo of the Wellington allocated vehicle I had to re letter it. The vehicle as bought from Bachmann was lettered Margam Junc, but some T Cut on a Tamiya cotton bud soon got rid of the name.

Not an expert on these trucks but the Bachmann model l;ooks good to me.

post-20690-0-74903800-1430490120_thumb.jpg

Not yet finished but a good start. I used Carrs Transfix to help settle down the transfer and I need to finish applying the transfers and then varnish and then weather it.

I will post more pictures when complete but John Isherwood is to be congratulated on this sheet.

David

... Uddingston. It's just over the river from me and apart from the cement plant its also where the famous Tunnocks factory is. Ahh, the occasional Caramel Wafer smell when the wind is in the right direction.

I prefer Tunnock's Teacakes.

During a current modelling project, I have come across a source of these motors;

http://www.mitsumi.co.jp/latest/Catalog/compo/motorav/m15n3series_e.html .

They are midway between the 1220 and 1620 flat can motor, with a double-ended 1.5mm. dia. shaft which projects approximately 12mm. at either end.

Study the .pdf spec. sheet and the dimensions drop-down - these quality Japanese motors seem to be ideally suited to model railway use, and will screw directly to High Level etc. gearboxes.

I have purchased ten for my own use, and will be installing one in the MPD 3F kit that I am currently building; see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98857-building-a-4mm-scale-mpd-midland-3f-0-6-0/; but I see no reason why it should not perform to a standard comparable to a Mashima 1220 / 1620.

The remaining supply of these motors is limited - certainly less than two hundred units.

I am contemplating obtaining the remaining stock, and could make these available to RMweb members for £7.00 each including UK P&P.

As the similar Mashima motors currently sell for around £17.00 plus P&P, this would seem to be a one-off opportunity to acquire a stock of quality motors against future modelling requirements.

If you are interested in acquiring one or more of these motors, please PM me ASAP.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

post-2274-0-55739200-1431271017_thumb.jpg

I am pleased to report that, having fitted a Mitsumi motor to a High Level 60:1 Loadhauler gearbox, and mounted this combination in the frames of a Midland 3F, I have what I believe to be the sweetest-running chassis that I have ever built. (.... and that's quite a few)!

http://www.mitsumi.co.jp/latest/Catalog/compo/motorav/m15n3series_e.html

I get the impression that these Mitsumi motors are lower-revving than Mashima motors, but they have plenty of torque and are beautifully smooth-running and quiet.

Using one of my trusty H&M Walkabout controllers, the top speed of this 0-6-0 slogger is as close to that of the prototype as I could wish - ie. a sprightly but not unseemly canter!!

This is ideal - I have the full range of the controller slider to drive the loco from a barely perceptible crawl to a realistic top speed.

The fitted fly-wheel gives a satisfying impression of momentum, even with a lightweight bare chassis.

So, I can with confidence recommend these Mitsumi motors.

I have taken the plunge and bought the remaining stock of motors - 215 units - and am offering them to list members at £7.00 each including UK P&P. (The equivalent Mashima motor is currently priced about £17.00 plus P&P.

I already have reservations for in excess of 50 motors, and when they're gone, they're gone !! (One potential customer has reserved 30 motors).

I normally confine my activities strictly to transfers, but these motors are just too good to let pass. I will publish purchasing arrangements when the motors are to hand, tested and packed. (I will be including two M2 fixing screws with each motor).

If you want one or more of these motors whilst they are available, PM me now to reserve your requirements.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

G'day John,

Are you able to provide an estimate on postage to Oz, either per item or per a batch of five? These could come in handy for a couple of projects I have in mind.

Dave

G'day John,

Are you able to provide an estimate on postage to Oz, either per item or per a batch of five? These could come in handy for a couple of projects I have in mind.

Dave

Dave,

Royal Mail International Standard, at cost, but around £3.30 for up to five motors.

Regards,

John.

Further testing of the chassis in which I have installed the Mitsumi motor confirms that these motors are the best that I have used.

post-2274-0-78819700-1431418349.jpg

In combination with the High Level Loadhauler gearbox, running is virtually silent - just wheel noise and a faint purr from the gears.

They are selling extremely fast - if you are considering ordering, or would like to increase an existing order, act fast. I'll be releasing details to the model press later today and then it'll be too late !!

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

cctrans@hotmail.com

I have now got reservations for all of my first purchase of these Mitsumi motors.

However, I have found what I hope will be an alternative supplier, and have initially ordered 20 additional motors.

If this supplier fulfils my order, and I have no reason to suppose otherwise, these excellent motors will become a permanent part of my range at http://www.cctrans.org.uk/ .

If you wish to order from this second batch, I will happy to take your reservation.

Please supply an e-mail address and your postal address with your reservation; I will contact you when payment is required.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I have now got reservations for all of my first purchase of these Mitsumi motors.

However, I have found what I hope will be an alternative supplier, and have initially ordered 20 additional motors.

If this supplier fulfils my order, and I have no reason to suppose otherwise, these excellent motors will become a permanent part of my range at http://www.cctrans.org.uk/ .

If you wish to order from this second batch, I will happy to take your reservation.

Please supply an e-mail address and your postal address with your reservation; I will contact you when payment is required.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Most list members who reserved motors have now provided me with their e-mail and postal addresses, but I would be grateful if PaulT, swampy, Durranhill and multivac could provide these details ASAP; they do not respond to PMs.

I hope that the motors will arrive from my suppliers in the next few days.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 4 weeks later...

attachicon.gifIMG_7423.JPG

I am pleased to report that, having fitted a Mitsumi motor to a High Level 60:1 Loadhauler gearbox, and mounted this combination in the frames of a Midland 3F, I have what I believe to be the sweetest-running chassis that I have ever built. (.... and that's quite a few)!

I get the impression that these Mitsumi motors are lower-revving than Mashima motors, but they have plenty of torque and are beautifully smooth-running and quiet.

Using one of my trusty H&M Walkabout controllers, the top speed of this 0-6-0 slogger is as close to that of the prototype as I could wish - ie. a sprightly but not unseemly canter!!

This is ideal - I have the full range of the controller slider to drive the loco from a barely perceptible crawl to a realistic top speed.

The fitted fly-wheel gives a satisfying impression of momentum, even with a lightweight bare chassis.

So, I can with confidence recommend these Mitsumi motors.

I have taken the plunge and bought the remaining stock of motors - 215 units - and am offering them to list members at £7.00 each including UK P&P. (The equivalent Mashima motor is currently priced about £17.00 plus P&P.

I already have reservations for in excess of 50 motors, and when they're gone, they're gone !! (One potential customer has reserved 30 motors).

I normally confine my activities strictly to transfers, but these motors are just too good to let pass. I will publish purchasing arrangements when the motors are to hand, tested and packed. (I will be including two M2 fixing screws with each motor).

If you want one or more of these motors whilst they are available, PM me now to reserve your requirements.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The demand for these motors has been quite overwhelming !!  The Railway Modeller has been kind enough to mention these motors in it's current issue.

Subsequent to the original quantity of 215 motors, I have obtained another 160 from a second source, in order to satisfy demand.

Following my absence on holiday, I have today fulfilled all outstanding paid-up orders, and have a small quantity of motors remaining; I cannot guarantee that any more will be forthcoming once these have gone.

If you are interested, please send a cheque, payable to C. J. Isherwood, at the rate of £7.00 per motor including UK P&P.

My address is 6, Roseland Gardens, Bodmin, PL31 2EY.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

• 4 weeks later...

The latest batch of one hundred motors has been delivered, and I have already sold more than half of them.

The concensus seems to be that they are of very good quality, with excellent performance characteristics.

I have recently retro-fitted one to a Midland 3F that I constructed some years ago. Despite having a Mashima open frame motor and a Romford gearset, it was never a good runner.

With one of the Mitsumi motors, and an old Hornby Dublo (!) gearset, it now runs a treat.

If you'd like to try these motors, or have already bought one and need some more, I can currently supply them ex-stock.

See http://www.cctrans.org.uk/ for ordering details.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 5 weeks later...

For the time-being at least, I am still able to obtain these motors in batches of 100 units.

I can usually supply the motors ex-stock, at £7.00 each including UK P&P, but if I am temporarily out of stock another batch will be in transit to me.

If you want one or more of these motors whilst they are available, (I include two M2 fixing screws with each motor), e-mail me at cctrans@hotmail.com to place your order.

See http://www.cctrans.org.uk/index.htmfor payment options.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 2 months later...

Well - it's taken six months for me to get round to it; but I have now covered all variants of the PALETHORPES vans for the BR period !!

BL153 for the four and six-wheeled vans; (both ex-GWR and ex-LMS versions of the latter). It would appear that the four-wheeled vans were not repainted in the post-war PALETHORPES SAUSAGES livery before they were withdrawn from sausage traffic and used as PMVs. The transfers for the four-wheelers thus portray the pre-war livery, but with immediate post-Nationalisation M-prefixed numbers in LMS style.

post-2274-0-90272800-1444656762_thumb.jpg

BL154 covers the ex-LMS bogie vans; both non-corridor and corridor versions.

post-2274-0-66198000-1444656778_thumb.jpg

Full details at http://www.cctrans.org.uk/latest.htm .

Expect (eventually) BR transfers for the similar ex-LMS six-wheeled and bogie corridor milk vans.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

• 3 months later...

An interesting point !!

Railtec refer to "Cemflo PC003A original livery (to suit Hornby R564)", and to "A correction of the original Hornby decal which incorrectly showed blue on white throughout".

I hadn't come across the reference to the long lettering panel having black rather than blue lettering; (anyone know the source of this assertion?); and I'd assumed, like Railtec, that the background to this long panel was white.

I have amended my transfer sheet (above) to have a yellow panel background and, if conclusive proof is forthcoming, I will amend the panel lettering from blue to black.

Some colour pics have recently appeared on Flickr of Cemflos passing through Newcastle in 1965. Rather than do my normal thing and hijack other contributors topics, I've started a new thread were I've linked to the photographs.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107721-cemflos-cliffe-uddingston-flow-silver-queens/&do=findComment&comment=2185185

To my eyes; although the cemflo is heavily weathered the photograph clearly shows blue writing on the early livery. The typeface on one of the adjoining wagons also appears heavier. See what you think.

Apologies if you have already seen them.

P

Archived