Somewhere out west

Dbr1295

7754 sitting in the loop ready for the all clear to start some shunting.

post-24685-0-41717000-1522630555_thumb.jpg

Moves onto the back siding to shuffle a couple of van between the loading docks of the warehouse.

post-24685-0-84038100-1522630590_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-85315000-1522630621_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Les

• Like 17

Being very arty there Les.. Who's is the fence in the last picture? That's 7 strands of wire I can count, that's a lot of work!

Hi Scott,

The fence posts are mainly Ratio with a few scratch built from wood. The corner round posts & bracing are just tooth picks. The wire itself is Ezi-line, which is a kind of elastic thread and really easy to use. Glued to the posts with superglue and that is a real pain, took ages and had to do it in parts. The colour was supposed to be rust but looks more orange. Next time I would use grey but I'm not going to change what I've already done!

Cheers, Les

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

7754 sitting in the loop ready for the all clear to start some shunting.

attachicon.gif_MG_7117 (2).jpg

Moves onto the back siding to shuffle a couple of van between the loading docks of the warehouse.

attachicon.gif_MG_7132 (2).jpg

attachicon.gif_MG_7135 (2).jpg

Cheers,

Les

Hi Les -still alive and kicking over here in Tauranga with lots of things going on. Three projects on the go, although poor old Hawkinsfield Junction is stalled as I put energies into coordinating our new TMRC club layout (this is the NZR based on Katikati station on one circuit with the english junction and branch line stations etc on the other circuit)- its an interesting design approach. That plus working on 0 guage buildings for the Lymbridge layout dock extension is eating up my time.

Love this picture of the goods yard and I wanted to ask you how you approached doing the cobble setts within the yard? They look brilliant. 

Whats your secret on this work? On the new english club layout I have a canal quay section to be produced and so would value your method od producing the setts so I might use for the canal scene.

Many thanks and regards Andy R

Hi Les -still alive and kicking over here in Tauranga with lots of things going on. Three projects on the go, although poor old Hawkinsfield Junction is stalled as I put energies into coordinating our new TMRC club layout (this is the NZR based on Katikati station on one circuit with the english junction and branch line stations etc on the other circuit)- its an interesting design approach. That plus working on 0 guage buildings for the Lymbridge layout dock extension is eating up my time.

Love this picture of the goods yard and I wanted to ask you how you approached doing the cobble setts within the yard? They look brilliant. 

Whats your secret on this work? On the new english club layout I have a canal quay section to be produced and so would value your method od producing the setts so I might use for the canal scene.

Many thanks and regards Andy R

Hi Andy,

I've often considered Katikati would make a great model, so I'm very interested how this project will turn out.

The sets in the goods yard are the Wills Granite Sets SSMP204. I think I actually got these from Bay Hobbies. There was a bit of work in getting them square and lined up neatly. I didn't have to do a large area so I put them all together on the bench, then put them on the layout. I think I ended up using 3 packets. To paint them I first primed them with Tamiya fine white primer, then I applied wood stain by wiping it on with a rag. I found that the stain when put on the white primer comes out grey. Applied unevenly it comes out with plenty of variation. I've attached a photo of the tin, I got it from Mitre 10 Mega. Used it for all sorts - fence posts, coaling stage, the ground around the engine shed, stone work. Useful stuff.

post-24685-0-40489600-1527200842.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

It's been a long time since I've posted on this thread, and this has been for a number of reasons which have distracted me from working on the layout, and being on this forum. I have still done some modelling in this time, but for another project. Anyhow, I was in the train room with the camera, so took a few pics.

The do show a few jobs that need doing, milk churns need painting, signal box finishing and bedding in, etc.

Pictures below, so those who may be interested can see the layout is still in existence. 

Cheers, Les

IMG_4217.jpg

IMG_4220.jpg

IMG_4236_01.jpg

• Like 19

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

I have been recently taking a lot of photos of the layout, mainly for my own pleasure, some of which I've been converting to B&W in an attempt to recreate a sort of impression of the era the layout is set in, the mid fifties.

I thought I would share some of some of the photos as it has been a while since I've posted anything here.

These couple of pic's I've tried to get an overall view of a whole train, which meant I had to stand a way back from the layout. I've had to crop them along the bottom so as to hide all the crap under the layout.

I'll pop a few more up when I get some time.

Cheers, Les

IMG_5047.JPG

IMG_5069.JPG

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/09/2019 at 07:00, Dbr1295 said:

Hmmm. this new size limit for pictures is a bit awkward. Major resizing required. Here are the other 2 I took.

IMG_4237_01.jpg

IMG_4238_02.jpg

I like the signalbox, Les. Is it scratchbuilt?

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 2

Hi Ian,

Yes and no. The signal box is mainly a Ratio kit, but I replaced the brick base with a scratch built one from Wills dressed stone and Evergreen strip. There's some pictures on page 3. The interior, which isn’t very visible, I fabricated from plasticard and Evergreen strip.

I see one of the windows is on a lean, they were a right pain to fit, the Tamiya plastic cement I normally use just wouldn't stick them. I think I use Revell contacter in the end.

Cheers, Les

On 30/03/2018 at 05:57, Dbr1295 said:

Hello,

Latest little project - tarpaulin covered load in an open wagon. 

post-24685-0-08571400-1522385528_thumb.jpg

Nothing unusual in the making of this. Load is just a piece of MDF cut to shape, glued to a piece of card just slightly smaller than the wagon internal dimensions. This enables it to be taken out if required. The tarpaulin is tissue paper painted with Tamiya Nato black from a rattle can. A close substitute for the late lamented Floquil grimy black.  Rope is painted cotton.

Cheers,

Les

The covered load under tarpaulin looks something like a car?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Dbr1295 said:

Hi Ian,

Yes and no. The signal box is mainly a Ratio kit, but I replaced the brick base with a scratch built one from Wills dressed stone and Evergreen strip. There's some pictures on page 3. The interior, which isn’t very visible, I fabricated from plasticard and Evergreen strip.

I see one of the windows is on a lean, they were a right pain to fit, the Tamiya plastic cement I normally use just wouldn't stick them. I think I use Revell contacter in the end.

Cheers, Les

I think the problem lies with how the window sections are injection moulded. Being small in dimension, the machine operator might use a silicon spray to help the parts out of the mould. Naturally, once it's injected, then bu66er-all will stick to them. One strategy is to blu-tack the desired object, and then solder the part required to its partner. However, a degree of  dexterity might need to be required.  Once 'ironed', take off the Blu-tack.

I'm just about to embark on a Taff Vale signal box model, which is very close dimensionally to your model. Thank you for your reply.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

17 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

I think the problem lies with how the window sections are injection moulded. Being small in dimension, the machine operator might use a silicon spray to help the parts out of the mould. Naturally, once it's injected, then bu66er-all will stick to them. One strategy is to blu-tack the desired object, and then solder the part required to its partner. However, a degree of  dexterity might need to be required.  Once 'ironed', take off the Blu-tack.

I'm just about to embark on a Taff Vale signal box model, which is very close dimensionally to your model. Thank you for your reply.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

Thanks, that's certainly makes sense.

Guest Jack Benson

Hello Dbr1295,

I have just discovered this thread, it is a lovely layout, very nicely observed and thank you for sharing with the RM community. Great to see someone sharing their methods, it is very helpful.

Cheers from Dorset

On 13/03/2020 at 22:36, Jack Benson said:

Hello Dbr1295,

I have just discovered this thread, it is a lovely layout, very nicely observed and thank you for sharing with the RM community. Great to see someone sharing their methods, it is very helpful.

Cheers from Dorset

Thanks for you feedback Jack. Much appreciated.

Cheers, Les

• 2 weeks later...