Somewhere out west

Dbr1295

Hello all,

I've been working on the area behind the station building so i thought I'd show some work in progress pictures so that you can see how I create a scene.

My original idea was to have the Station Masters house here, then I though about a small workshop. I tried some mock ups but wasn't entirely convinced.

I ended up recreating a scene I quite liked from a book with a field lined with trees behind the station approach,

In this case I wanted a slight rise in the ground away from the station, so as is visible in the picture, I used cork tiles to do this. I glued these together with PVA and then carved and sanded them to get the desired contour.

Once happy, I applied polyfiller and painted earth brown from a test pot. Then I put on diluted PVA and covered this with shifted dirt from our garden.

I glued down some small stones, which hopefully once the static grass is down will look like rocks protruding from the grass.

So the next job will be to apply the static grass.

IMG_5142.JPG.7c30e7aed526303f7f725f14a59709b6.JPG

IMG_5143.JPG.18cd03d17b9c561b4cbe789bbfeaff0b.JPG

Also in the scene is a little hut from the Wills scrap yard kit. This was actually bought by my son for his train set, but he lost interest and when I was packing his stuff away I came across the kit and thought I'd tax it and build it myself. It was painted aged concrete and dried brushed with various Humbrol greys and leather.

IMG_5144.JPG.cb7b832bfdbac9b58336014d810a9de4.JPG

Cheers, Les

• Like 14

Hello all,

When I work on a scene it kind of evolves organically. I get an idea in my head and run with it, stop, think about it and sometime later carry on.

The other day i was flicking through an old magazine and there was a picture of a Pannier and train on an embankment, well bu**er me, the weed and growth on the side of the embankment didn't half look like Woodland Scenics ground foam. I've never used it on the ground before, I use it to represent foliage on trees and bushes etc. So i thought I'd try some on the scene behind the station that I'm working on. As below. The jury is still out on how it looks, but there is potential.

IMG_5149_s.JPG.46b8f38095f6d19bd60dddf7c394124e.JPG

It's a mix of coarse turf and various shades of fine turf. Might need some more though.

The brambles by the buffer and along the wall are teased out pan scourer with Woodland Scenics fine turf.

The pictures below have some trees temporarily in place to give a feel of the sort of effect that I'm after. I'm kind of happy how it's coming along and think it will look quite good when done.

IMG_5150_S.JPG.ca8361bd5eb2fd14a54f93552917c87a.JPG

IMG_5151_S.JPG.dfbed50134266e4a3ad3d58db4598e87.JPG

Cheers, Les

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

That's looking very good. Especially those views of the trees, and the way they reach in over the boundary wall. They link the new area with the existing yard really well. 

It's so tempting to fill in empty spaces with a building, but your work here really demonstrates that it's not always the right answer.

• Like 1

Hello All,

First of the 3 trees along the station road has now planted.

As mentioned much earlier in this thread I use Woodland Scenics tree armatures as a foundation for my trees. Over time, as I've made more over time I'm gradually improving the method.

For the trees in this little scene I've used the bases that are supplied with these armatures for the first time to represent the roots.

In the picture below there is base of the tree as supplied attached to the armature, and one attached to a finished tree,  To improve it I attacked it with a knife  to give a better representation of the individual roots. I only wish I had thought of this before I finished the tree!

IMG_5172s.JPG.5ce1e0dd9931a825dda24898d6db8969.JPG

When I make a tree the after removing the flash from the armature moulding, the first thing I do is drill out the trunks of the trees to take a small nail to hold it when working and to fix it into the ground.

After I planted the tree and glued it in place I applied shifted soil with a pipette to bed it in.

On the whole I think it doesn't look to bad. 

IMG_5169s.JPG.6423cc029c1326c92d85541868bba9e4.JPG

IMG_5170s.JPG.3c9711c30b4f93cf5f22ea6a4c8af4de.JPG

Cheers, Les

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Hi Les- I’m finally catching up on your thread again and again what great modelling. You just have this knack of getting colour, materials, and textures just right to my eyes.

i have made contact via PM after January show but don’t know whether that actually worked. It was nice to see you at show and for you to see Katikati and Stourbridge- two years hard work and still needing details.

back to my own Hawkinsfield at last in lockdown and finishing track building at new terminus and now wiring / installing tortoise motors- 24 plus!!!

Regards Andy R

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Andy R said:

Hi Les- I’m finally catching up on your thread again and again what great modelling. You just have this knack of getting colour, materials, and textures just right to my eyes.

i have made contact via PM after January show but don’t know whether that actually worked. It was nice to see you at show and for you to see Katikati and Stourbridge- two years hard work and still needing details.

back to my own Hawkinsfield at last in lockdown and finishing track building at new terminus and now wiring / installing tortoise motors- 24 plus!!!

Regards Andy R

Hi Andy,

Great to hear from you. Thanks for the feedback. I've sent you a PM, for some reason I wasn't aware of your last one.

Cheers, Les

A couple of pictures showing some operations on the Wydgate branch.

First of all we have 5819 with the mid morning passenger service drifting past the signal box.

IMG_5067.JPG.0d09f35f4c22c3c542f9f7ef4fa63d30.JPG

Next is a view of 4573 backing into the goods yard to to some  shunting after bringing in the daily pick up goods.

IMG_5058.JPG.9cb34b8ae4ef8e966204eb6801fdd9f0.JPG

Cheers, Les

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 1 year later...

One thing that has been done in the past year has been to knock together this billboard from Evergreen plastic.

Posters are  from a 1970's Builder Plus sheet. No idea if they are appropriate to the time and location.

Cheers, Les

Untitled_01 (2).jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 28/12/2021 at 17:06, Dbr1295 said:

Unbelievable, over a year and a half since I've posted about the layout. Where does the time go? I actually haven't done much work at all in that time so therefore the paucity of posting.

On holiday at the moment so I thought I'd take a few pictures of the layout and post some on here just to show that the layout is still in existence for those who may be interested.

Cheers, Les

Untitled 4_02.jpg

Untitled_02_01.jpg

New year greetings to you Les from Tauranga. Wonderful weather to be on holiday and not really’ train shed’ weather for us. These photos are wonderful Les. I love the subtle colouring and blend of materials you’re getting. Screams little backwater BLT. Love it.

Unfortunately had to cancel the annual show here and will try for a weekend later in year. Hope we can catch up sometime at a show in our region. 
Regards Andy R

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Andy R said:

New year greetings to you Les from Tauranga. Wonderful weather to be on holiday and not really’ train shed’ weather for us. These photos are wonderful Les. I love the subtle colouring and blend of materials you’re getting. Screams little backwater BLT. Love it.

Unfortunately had to cancel the annual show here and will try for a weekend later in year. Hope we can catch up sometime at a show in our region. 
Regards Andy R

Happy new year Andy, I hope you're keeping well. Thanks for the positive comments, little backwater is what I am aiming for. Shame about the show, hopefully things will get back to normal sooner than later.

Cheers, Les

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JustinDean said:

I’ve just discovered this thread and spent last night and this morning going through it from the start. What a lovely layout and great photos! 
Thanks for sharing - inspirational stuff. 

Jay

Thanks for the nice comment, I really appreciate it.

Cheers, Les

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 3 months later...

4573 has arrived at the end of the Wyd Valley branch with a very short daily goods. Does not bode well for future goods traffic on the branch.

002_01.jpg.adca86ed1a6deac1bb07f0196af41cb1.jpg

On the platform there is a solitary passenger waiting.

003_01.jpg.55edc6ab85af0210308ad6afd22fb30a.jpg

Edited by Dbr1295
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

A quite time at the engine shed. Lately it's always quite, apart from the bird song.

This was scratch built  back in the 90's from plans in an early edition of BRM (though I think the original may have been brick and had a water tank on top), way before the layout. It was a long time ago, but I think I decided to build this layout to put this shed on.

Construction is hardboard and cardboard, with scribed Das for the stonework. Roof tiles were cut from wall paper.

The original doors were card, but have since been replaced with ones made from plastic.

821039219_Untitled021.jpg.9bab18f7bebc412ad602ca7e066e688a.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hey Les; nice to see your latest work. More wonderful modeling. 
Im slowly working away on Hawkinsfield new terminus area and engine shed. Not 100% happy with engine service area and more subtle painting required. Inspirational motivation from your efforts!

regards Andy R

• Like 1

Goods yard scene.

Grounded wagon body from a Ratio iron mink kit. Underframe bits hacked off and mounted on some strips of wood. The sacks are from a US brand, I can't remember who though. Stone wall Wills, as are the granite sets. Wheelbarrow and spade Cooper Craft.

1857528957_Merge1_02.jpg.34afe43a134333584fbb355252bb798e.jpg

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...