The London Festival of Railway Modelling 2015

BRMExhibitions

There are many people who live outside London who have a Oyster card for use whenever they visit. Some of those people even live overseas. You don't need to put too much money on it, as long as you remember to have enough for a few journeys next time you want to use it.

Not only do you have to put money on it (min of £10 I believe) but you also have to buy the card (or pay a deposit) which makes it expensive for one bus trip - I'd rather pay as I go rather then lend sums of money that I won't get the benefit of until the next unknown time that might not be for several months or even years. Plus you can't buy them on spec at stations outside of London and you have to remember to keep topping the thing up with money if you do use it. You're better off with a travelcard but that presumes that you want to make several journeys in London rather than just a quick return trip. There's now no facility for simple one-off travel arrangements.

G.

Anyone posting pics when they return?

I am really interested in seeing what's in store on the Hornby stand.....So if anyone is going and visiting the Hornby stand please do take pics. Thanks in advance for those who will be doing so to allow those who couldn't attend actually see what went on there.

Cheers!

PS: Is Andy Y going to be doing a video about the "Hornby Development Team Talk" like how he did the video with "Simon's Talk" last time? Or is anyone going to video record the talk? I'd love to watch it on Youtube.

• RMweb Premium

Actually, you can put almost as little as you like on an Oystercard. The TFL machines won't accept card based payments below £5, but they will accept cash down to 10p I believe. The DLR and I believe most National Rail TOC machines will accept card payments in increments of 10p.

Actually, you can put almost as little as you like on an Oystercard. The TFL machines won't accept card based payments below £5, but they will accept cash down to 10p I believe. The DLR and I believe most National Rail TOC machines will accept card payments in increments of 10p.

There are no TFL machines at my local station so it'll cost me to get to one.

According to the website it is £18 plus postage to get the card to start with. Don't forget I live outside of London so it has to be ordered in advance and be delivered by post (I can't just make up my mind to travel today). Then when I get to the local station I buy a rail ticket to the edge of the zone where the oyster starts to get the benefit of the capped day date for oyster travel. Presumably I then have to get off the train to 'touch in' otherwise when I get off at my destination I'll be subject to a penalty fare. Somehow I doubt the train will wait while I faff around validating the card meaning the journey gets broken and takes longer. Great.

G.

• RMweb Premium

There are no TFL machines at my local station so it'll cost me to get to one.

According to the website it is £18 plus postage to get the card to start with. Don't forget I live outside of London so it has to be ordered in advance and be delivered by post (I can't just make up my mind to travel today). Then when I get to the local station I buy a rail ticket to the edge of the zone where the oyster starts to get the benefit of the capped day date for oyster travel. Presumably I then have to get off the train to 'touch in' otherwise when I get off at my destination I'll be subject to a penalty fare. Somehow I doubt the train will wait while I faff around validating the card meaning the journey gets broken and takes longer. Great.

G.

The main gist of my answer was to do with the minimum amounts that can be put onto a card, but obviously TfL are capitalizing on those who might want to have one in advance. Having said that, I have seen Oyster Card vending machines in some London Underground stations, but I think generally they are bought from ticket windows (while they still exist). I sympathize with your plight, but I believe you can still get conventional ticket Travelcards as part of a ticket into London from outside if I remember correctly.

Not only do you have to put money on it (min of £10 I believe) but you also have to buy the card (or pay a deposit) which makes it expensive for one bus trip - I'd rather pay as I go rather then lend sums of money that I won't get the benefit of until the next unknown time that might not be for several months or even years. Plus you can't buy them on spec at stations outside of London and you have to remember to keep topping the thing up with money if you do use it. You're better off with a travelcard but that presumes that you want to make several journeys in London rather than just a quick return trip. There's now no facility for simple one-off travel arrangements.

G.

If you are using the tube and have a bank debit card with the "contactless* facility then it is very much the same as an Oyster Card.  Check it out on the TfL website where you will find the fares charged to your card in this way.

Regards,

Brian.

The main gist of my answer was to do with the minimum amounts that can be put onto a card, but obviously TfL are capitalizing on those who might want to have one in advance. Having said that, I have seen Oyster Card vending machines in some London Underground stations, but I think generally they are bought from ticket windows (while they still exist). I sympathize with your plight, but I believe you can still get conventional ticket Travelcards as part of a ticket into London from outside if I remember correctly.

See my post above.

I wasn't over impressed with this show.  In my opinion, some excellent layouts and many fairly average layouts.  With too many 'box-shifters' in the main hall the show is becoming a bit stale (in my opinion). 

And why a stand for the RSPB?  The connection with railways being...? What next year, Age UK and Oxfam?

There is an inherent problem with people movement, people stop to look at a layout. A small layout might squeeze ten people in the immediate vicinity, but no-one else can get in. Its nobody's fault as such, just a by the by of an exhibition. Maybe evening sessions or a friday start would be beneficial for the big shows?

First time I have been to this show.  Took my 10 year old son Robert with me.  Took the train which was pleasant and made use of the W3 bus to save our legs up the hill!

We enjoyed the show spending time looking at layouts as well as checking out the trade stands.  Our favourite layout was the steel works Rhydwyn Fawr.

There were some good bargains to be had.  Robert came away with a Farish 08 from the Bachmann returns stand for £40 and from the Dapol stand, a 58 for £45.  

It was good to chat with Legomanbiffo who I am grateful for his advice on the forum.  He demonstrated his Highland 37 sound which resulted in a purchase!  This has been quickly installed into 37035 and sounds great!

Andy Y, I would have come over to say hello but you looked very busy with your microphone!  

Think we'll go back again next year...

Not the most usual view within the West Hall, for sure, but here's a view of the BRM stand from a higher vantage point than is normal.  Steve (Warner) and Ben wave for the camera.

post-6712-0-29653000-1427573999_thumb.jpg

Good to catch up with various people over the course of the day.  Back tomorrow for a day on the EMGS stand, which will be welcome relief from being stood on my feet all day today.

Cheers,

Tim

Archived