The London Festival of Railway Modelling 2015

BRMExhibitions

I live outside London and have an Oyster card. But it's cheaper to buy a one day travelcard which is a return to London plus all zones travelcard. Also saves making sure you touch in and out. Anyway, the show...

I though there were some nice layouts there, several very good indeed, and lots I hadn't seen before. I do have some pics but i'm not sure how good they are. Come to think of it i'm not entirely sure which layouts some of them are of. Oh well i'd best start work on them.

I think the catering could be improved. The variety is excellent but it's overpriced, not very good quality and there was a shortage of seating. There was a serious shortage of cake. Maybe they should invite the WI next year?

There is an inherent problem with people movement, people stop to look at a layout. A small layout might squeeze ten people in the immediate vicinity, but no-one else can get in. Its nobody's fault as such, just a by the by of an exhibition. Maybe evening sessions or a friday start would be beneficial for the big shows?

Friday night opening would only serve to put the show costs up and therefore probably the admission costs.....you don't get anything for nothing I'm afraid.

• RMweb Gold

There is an inherent problem with people movement, people stop to look at a layout. A small layout might squeeze ten people in the immediate vicinity, but no-one else can get in. Its nobody's fault as such, just a by the by of an exhibition. Maybe evening sessions or a friday start would be beneficial for the big shows?

Back in the 1980s the group of which I was a member used to exhibit at a show which opened on a Friday lunchtime.

It was very hard for us to find operators as we all had full time jobs.   Most of us had defined holiday dates and were not allowed to take days off at any other time, so could not arrive until after work had finished.

I believe this is still a problem for many exhibitors.

David

• RMweb Premium

Just back in the campervan at Abbey Wood after visiting the show. I spent more than SHMBO did in the shops!

This was my first visit to this show And I must say that I really enjoyed it, plus I found it well organised too. I took the free shuttle bus from the tube station to Ally Palace, much appreciated. Although I was one of the last off the bus and there was a fair queue to pay with plastic, the queue moved quickly and I was soon in the show.

I thought there was a good mix of layouts, nice to have some european ones too. Those layouts that I had seen before, were too busy or of little personal interest I past by on my first run round the hall. Returned to some of them later. A few I never saw, but I'm happy with that as I saw those that interested me.

I really enjoyed the presentations from Biff and DCC Concepts, plus they were a chance to sit down and eat my butties.

What I found very valuable, and worth the admission money alone, was the chance to have a play with things new to me and chat to their representatives. For example the DCC Concepts Lever Frame, Taunton Controls (yes, I'll get my ZTC upgraded in due course), and especially the chap demonstrating airbrushes. He let myself and others have a go, this dispelled all my concerns and I ended up buying one.

My only gripes were that by late afternoon it was too hot, plus I ran out of time and money!

Congratulates to all the organisers, stewards, exhibitors and other attendees for making it such an enjoyable day.

I wasn't over impressed with this show.  In my opinion, some excellent layouts and many fairly average layouts.  With too many 'box-shifters' in the main hall the show is becoming a bit stale (in my opinion). 

And why a stand for the RSPB?  The connection with railways being...? What next year, Age UK and Oxfam?

Apart from the opening sentence, which I don't totally agree with, I completely agree with the rest.

Some excellent and very good layouts, but quite a few mediocre ones. Unfortunately a couple were frankly, rubbish.

That huge (was it 0 gauge?) toy layout was a waste of space IMHO.

While I'm not against people playing with trains the way they want to, I really think that sort of thing gives a bad impression of the hobby.

I hadn't read the list of layouts attending, so was really surprised and pleased to see Warren Lane there.

The first time I've seen it in the flesh. Marvellous and a real crowd puller. Lots of positive and praising comments going on around me on both occasions I watched it.

Nice to see more and more layouts adopting DCC and getting good running as a result.

Some really good examples of smooth running and slow shunting on display

As usual, there were extremely good layouts who were suffering less than good running. All running on DC.

As an example, the fantastic Leicester South was suffering the same control and running problems that I witnessed at the Southampton show, back in January, with stalling and spluttering locos, requiring several "hands of god" to intervene.

A couple of others had abysmal running, poor operation or both.

Overall there was a very wide and diverse range of trade presence, which I thought was excellent.

However the main hall did indeed seem to be overwhelmingly trade, with an overabundance of RTR and secondhand stands.

There were a number of electronics stands, from signals, to DCC gizmos and other electrical accessories on show.

It's an interesting trend and shows there's a growing interest in this side of the hobby, no doubt spurred on by DCC and DCC Sound.

I predict DCC Concepts latest innovations will get a lot of attention too.

The live lecture theatre was also very good with some very good speakers (I don't mean the PA either).

Unfortunately a rather tubby bald headed bloke, with a Midland's accent kept blathering on "between acts".

Not exactly the sort of warm up comedian you'd get at a TV show recording.

I rather enjoyed my day out.

The icing on the cake being able to use my brand new, fresh out of the packet, Senior Railcard for the first time.

Yes folks, as of last week I now qualify for wrinkly status.

(p.s. As far as I know, I haven't started smelling of stale wee yet.)

p.s. The Dapol 00 Class73 looks stunning. They also had a test body shell of the Class 68 on show.

Friday night opening would only serve to put the show costs up and therefore probably the admission costs.....you don't get anything for nothing I'm afraid.

Back in the 1980s the group of which I was a member used to exhibit at a show which opened on a Friday lunchtime.

It was very hard for us to find operators as we all had full time jobs.   Most of us had defined holiday dates and were not allowed to take days off at any other time, so could not arrive until after work had finished.

I believe this is still a problem for many exhibitors.

David

tbh, I don't think there is a right answer to the issue. Like you say, staffing is an issue for Friday starts.

• RMweb Premium

Hour to go before doors open, got here earlier than expected and there is a long queue already! Do people camp out overnight or something?!?

By the way, traffic chaos at the car park roundabout where it seems the parking marshalls are making a bit of a Horlicks of it...

I got there at 8.15 this morning and there was already around 30-40 people queuing up. Luckily I got the train from home and avoided the chaotic parking, Seems most of the car parks were full, and the main one hadn't been opened. Some of the traders were still setting up at 9.30 when the show opened!

Back there tomorrow on Sutton from East Beds MRS. Hopefully I'll have a bit of time for a wander round, I only had time for a quick look this morning. Despite that, the credit card still took a hammering!

All in all I thought this year's show was on par with previous year's, I only came away with a small purchase from the Dapol stand (wallet was happy) and was quite impressed with the standard of modelling on some of the layouts.

Bumped into some familiar faces (ColinW take a bow) and had a good chat with Cliff from AIMREC as well as a bit of a natter with the organising club about offering a layout for future shows.

First things first - my thanks to Brush Veteran and Gareth Ashenden for recommending the Station Cafe.  The full English breakfast was just what I had in mind and good value at £5.90 including a cuppa. A hearty breakfast is just what a lad [lad? Who are you kidding?] needs before trudging round a show all day.

Letting in the crowds was accomplished more efficiently than in previous years when we were left outside in the rain or snow.  This time we were under cover by just after 9 am.  I understand that what was aptly described as the Horlicks in the car park was caused by the premature arrival of a travelling fair.  The resultant traffic chaos had an effect on the W3 bus service and provoked the driver of mine to honk, which wasn't a lot of use from 12 vehicles back from the obstruction but obviously made him feel better.

I like Empire Mills very much.  The builders have made it look windswept with the leafless trees and it isn't as crowded as some other china clay layouts.  The Western had more paint on it than might have been expected for a Laira loco given that depot's washer's reputation for eroding loco liveries but this is a minor nitpick.

I like Horfield as well.  I have friends who live nearby so I know the area and the builders have done a cracking job on making it look right.  I liked in particular the mixed rakes of coaching stock designs and liveries but the operating superintendent should take note that one does not run a B set with brake ends inward! 

Dennis Lovett's talk on research did a bit more than state the blindingly obvious.  In 20 minutes he set out the essentials concisely and informatively, though his reference to "out of the box thinking" should perhaps have been to "thinking outside the box".

It appears that quite a lot of RMwebbers were there.  I saw one other RMweb badge beside mine (well done, St Simon) but unless my hearing has taken another turn for the worse no-one made themselves known to me.  Friendly loot, aren't we?  One person thought that 'chrisf' actually read 'christ'.  Oh dear.

Chris

Was one thing that did annoy me, wasn't a modeller though...

Left ally pally station and started walking up the hill. About half-way up, heard a cars horn, beep beep...

Unbelievably, this beeping persisted for about 5 minutes, the same time it took to get to the top of the hill and near the base of Ally Pally. Turned out to be some eejit in a souped up deathtrap, not willing to wait for the cars ahead to go into the car park. The idiot proceeded to drive along the RH side of the road, entered the mini roundabout in the right hand lane and cleared of down the hill towards the station. I hope someone noted his plate, as I didn't manage to. This was roughly 9:10/9:15.

Where's a copper when needed eh?

I am surprised that the Health and Safety Elves have not yet banned rucksacks.

If I was hit once it must have been half a dozen times by inconsiderate bustards suddely turning.

Perhaps wearing a rucksack gives you a lack of spacial awareness and other people around you.

Back tomorrow wearing padding on my upper body and my cycle helmet!!!!

Heard that some people have had a night mare journey on the NCR, one taking 4hrs to get from Ally Pally to Brentwood.

The Lea Valley Viaduct on the North Circular Road is closed Eastbound for bridge maintenance work.
This is at the Walthamstow Avenue / Advent Way (Cooks Ferry Interchange).
The flyover above the Cooks Ferry Interchange is closed eastbound (Towards the M11) all weekend, from 22:00 on Friday 27th March 2015 until 05:00 on Monday 30th March 2015.
Long delays expected throughout Edmonton and Tottenham  over the weekend.
The diversion is via the slip roads and roundabout underneath the flyover.

I am surprised that the Health and Safety Elves have not yet banned rucksacks.

If I was hit once it must have been half a dozen times by inconsiderate bustards suddely turning.

Perhaps wearing a rucksack gives you a lack of spacial awareness and other people around you.

Back tomorrow wearing padding on my upper body and my cycle helmet!!!!

I have banned them at Trainwest. They have to be carried by hand or left at reception.

Geoff Endacott

If you are using the tube and have a bank debit card with the "contactless* facility then it is very much the same as an Oyster card

You don't even need an Oyster card now - if your debit card has contact less payment you just use that instead and it's the same price.

Unfortunately my debit card is not a contactless type.

Fortunately I did read that oyster was being phased out/replaced.

G

It appears that quite a lot of RMwebbers were there.  I saw one other RMweb badge beside mine (well done, St Simon) but unless my hearing has taken another turn for the worse no-one made themselves known to me.  Friendly loot, aren't we?  One person thought that 'chrisf' actually read 'christ'.  Oh dear.

Chris

I fear your hearing has taken a turn for the worse cos you ignored us shouting at you. Unfortunately we couldn't go after you cos we were waiting to meet another RMwebber. Mind you, the acoustics weren't very helpful so it might not be just your hearing

Pictures, not very good i'm afraid.

Wellmich am Rhein

Ally%20Pally%202015%20013_zpsgqfscavg.jp

Mer Les Bains

Ally%20Pally%202015%20020_zpsuqkfq7fz.jp

Ally%20Pally%202015%20019_zpsqvolgzf5.jp[/url]

Sandford& Bandwell

Ally%20Pally%202015%20005_zpsrukidtjz.jp

Ally%20Pally%202015%20010_zps2q9vzxnb.jp

Waterloo Street

Ally%20Pally%202015%20003_zpsqbahs7sn.jp

Billton goods

Ally%20Pally%202015%20002_zpsga2ybx3s.jp

Empire Mills

Ally%20Pally%202015%20001_zpswkbygaed.jp

Untermutten

Ally%20Pally%202015%20016_zpscrg9awm1.jp

• RMweb Gold

I had the pleasure of saying hi to Graham Muz again and meeting Mike the stationmaster, the Good Doctor Station Cat, brother Steve, St Simon and Tony S all for the first time. Very sociable day.

Edit to say, on the model railway side

Copenhagen Fields was a pleasure, especially getting a front row view by virtue of the half hour "pre booking extra"

Leicester South GC was very impressive - awesome presence and loads going on

Horfield was very good indeed with superb running and real "watch the trains go by" atmosphere

Calderwood LYR had real northern atmos

Sadndford and Banwell, if I had to pick a best of show that would be it. Superb modelling, best steam DCC sound I've heard and a real bit of inventiveness, using PVC waste pipes as legs! Lighter than wood, cheaper than wood and easier to work than wood - Brilliant!

Not the most usual view within the West Hall, for sure, but here's a view of the BRM stand from a higher vantage point than is normal.  Steve (Warner) and Ben wave for the camera.

attachicon.gifBRM Stand_AP_28-3-15_20058a.jpg

Good to catch up with various people over the course of the day.  Back tomorrow for a day on the EMGS stand, which will be welcome relief from being stood on my feet all day today.

Cheers,

Tim

Tim. Standing on your feet all day obviously made you taller, so that you could take that photo!

Would have gone this year but my other hobby beckons tomorrow in Melton Mowbray and its not the pies.

http://www.thehifishow.com

Will still come away with a damaged wallet and a bag full of stuff made out of plastic but 12 inch to the foot scale.

Bl66dy hell, Andy Y has got in on the act there too!

Ed

Second pic in slide show

Not the most usual view within the West Hall, for sure, but here's a view of the BRM stand from a higher vantage point than is normal.  Steve (Warner) and Ben wave for the camera.

attachicon.gifBRM Stand_AP_28-3-15_20058a.jpg

Good to catch up with various people over the course of the day.  Back tomorrow for a day on the EMGS stand, which will be welcome relief from being stood on my feet all day today.

Cheers,

Tim

Why not try and get in the organ loft as well, and give the punters a blast of real music! :-)

Phil

Apart from the opening sentence, which I don't totally agree with, I completely agree with the rest.

Some excellent and very good layouts, but quite a few mediocre ones. Unfortunately a couple were frankly, rubbish.

That huge (was it 0 gauge?) toy layout was a waste of space IMHO.

While I'm not against people playing with trains the way they want to, I really think that sort of thing gives a bad impression of the hobby.

I hadn't read the list of layouts attending, so was really surprised and pleased to see Warren Lane there.

The first time I've seen it in the flesh. Marvellous and a real crowd puller. Lots of positive and praising comments going on around me on both occasions I watched it.

Nice to see more and more layouts adopting DCC and getting good running as a result.

Some really good examples of smooth running and slow shunting on display

As usual, there were extremely good layouts who were suffering less than good running. All running on DC.

As an example, the fantastic Leicester South was suffering the same control and running problems that I witnessed at the Southampton show, back in January, with stalling and spluttering locos, requiring several "hands of god" to intervene.

A couple of others had abysmal running, poor operation or both.

Overall there was a very wide and diverse range of trade presence, which I thought was excellent.

However the main hall did indeed seem to be overwhelmingly trade, with an overabundance of RTR and secondhand stands.

There were a number of electronics stands, from signals, to DCC gizmos and other electrical accessories on show.

It's an interesting trend and shows there's a growing interest in this side of the hobby, no doubt spurred on by DCC and DCC Sound.

I predict DCC Concepts latest innovations will get a lot of attention too.

The live lecture theatre was also very good with some very good speakers (I don't mean the PA either).

Unfortunately a rather tubby bald headed bloke, with a Midland's accent kept blathering on "between acts".

Not exactly the sort of warm up comedian you'd get at a TV show recording.

I rather enjoyed my day out.

The icing on the cake being able to use my brand new, fresh out of the packet, Senior Railcard for the first time.

Yes folks, as of last week I now qualify for wrinkly status.

(p.s. As far as I know, I haven't started smelling of stale wee yet.)

p.s. The Dapol 00 Class73 looks stunning. They also had a test body shell of the Class 68 on show.

Good smooth running and slow shunting is not the sole prerogative of DCC, and I get angry at people who make comments like the one above.

At the St. Neots show, Blackwells Brewery Company received many compliments on the smooth running and slow speed shunting; the layout and some of the stock in question are DC and quite possibly built before the true advent of DCC, a point which surprised many people. You only need to know how to build locos properly (how many DCC locos are kit built?) and good quality running is easy. If in doubt, look at the videos of my locos in my blog and tell me they'd be improved by making them DCC.

To me, the benefits of DCC are the simplification of wiring and the addition of sound lights etc., it's nothing to do with the qualities of running unless you buy RTR and need to improved the qualities. As a kit builder, that doesn't work for me.

Phil

Archived