The London Festival of Railway Modelling 2015

BRMExhibitions

When is next years?  I need to book the day off pretty sharpish!

I checked and next year's show is 19th - 20th March. The following weekend is Easter.

One good thing is that anyone there for the two days will not lose an hour's sleep.

Tony

Thank you to all visitors to the show who came along this weekend and especially those who attended the theatre sessions. Saturday was tremendously busy although it was somewhat warm in the West Hall, I'm glad it wasn't a warm weekend!

Thank you to the participants in the theatre; John Waite who gave an update on the Stokesay Junction BRM project layout, the layout has taken another jump forward over the last month since Doncaster; Craig Wetherley from Gaugemaster who went into detail about the excellent Roco Z21 system; Dennis Lovett who talked about research as a modeller and all of the sources that can be used; Legomanbiffo gave us a great insight into just how DCC sound projects are recorded and it gave an opportunity to blast the sounds of a Deltic through the PA system bringing the sound of Napiers back to North London; Richard Johnson of DCC Concepts showed the latest products off with some great samples to pass round; Phil and Carl from Hornby's development team did a great job in showing what goes on behind the scenes from the design engineer's perspective (these are the good guys at Hornby who are producing the excellent items we've seen of late); David Palmer of Train-Tech gives a great talk on the gadgets and gizmos with plenty of samples for the audience to play with and finally Dave Mylett of Hattons who covered the story of Hattons development of exclusive editions over the years. Each and every one of these talks on both Saturday and Sunday had more bums on seats by the end of their sessions than they started with.

I could see several people who attended several sessions in the theatre so hopefully the rolling programme of short sessions through the day gives some good value to show-goers; I did have a lucky escape at the end of Sunday when Charlie Petty wanted to interview me but we'll save that gem (as I'm sure there'd be some very amusing questions) for Peterborough!

• RMweb Gold

although it was somewhat warm in the West Hall,

Just a bit, On Sutton we had a few gremlins on a scissors and slip as it warmed up, they eventually sorted themselves as the expansion stopped. 

As for the Deltic..........can we have that again mister.....and again......

• RMweb Gold

We had a great weekend on Star Lane.

It was a bit too warm Saturday afternoon in the West Hall which menat we were flagging and were making some spectacular operating errors including me!!

On Sunday I brought some clip on fans and also it want quite so warm in the hall.

One thing that I did notice this year is that the security staff were way more friendly and approachable than in previous years. They were far more helpful and pro-active which did make a huge different IMHO.

As one of the operators on Copenhagen Fields I'd like to thank everyone for the positive comments. The layout is older than I am, still being developed and expanded, and takes an awful lot of effort to erect, keep running and pack back up! But as Gareth said regarding Empire Mills, it really makes it worthwhile to see appreciation for this work at a show.

With CF many of the comments are from those who recognise the area, used to work or live along York Way or the Caley Road, or even travelled through it on the bus to the show. I think these comments are the best - showing we've evoked the local atmosphere we aim for, and also reminding us that there are very good numbers of the "general public" as well as modellers at the show!

I was kept so busy I'm pretty sure there were some layouts and stands I didn't get to see properly, but personally Sandford and Banwell and Billton Goods caught my eye the most

Nice to see more and more layouts adopting DCC and getting good running as a result.

Some really good examples of smooth running and slow shunting on display

As usual, there were extremely good layouts who were suffering less than good running. All running on DC.

As an example, the fantastic Leicester South was suffering the same control and running problems that I witnessed at the Southampton show, back in January, with stalling and spluttering locos, requiring several "hands of god" to intervene.

A couple of others had abysmal running, poor operation or both.

DCC would not cure all of these problems and is NOT the be all and all of modelrailways

• RMweb Gold

We also had a very enjoyable weekend with Fisherton Sarum and I thank all those members, or readers of my blog, that came by and said hello.

It was also very pleasing to have a lot of interaction with the visitors to the show answering numerous questions and entering into some interesting discussions about all things SR or SR model related, it seemed to me that such interaction for a large show was greater than normal which I think is a good thing and a very enjoyable part of exhibiting, I don't know if that was the same for other layouts or not?

We also had a very easy set up and break down with access to the hall for vehicles well controlled by efficient and friendly security staff / stewards / Warners staff.

I also of course thank my operating team, mainly members from the High Wycombe and District MRS for assisting, along with my Dad, without whom I would not be able to exhibit.

Some sporadic comments:

Someone earlier suggested that there could be restricted view tickets for model railway exhibitions too- get in cheaper but you don't get to see all the layouts. This in fact exists- it's called "stewarding"

Someone asked about photos of the Bachmann N gauge layout. If I'd seen the posting earlier, I would have taken one, as the layout is remarkably good for a trade display layout - basic double circuit with an added multilevel dogbone circuit . All Bachmann products , but a convincing GC small station , power-station and unloading terminal at the back , and a surprisingly convincing Midlands look to it

The N Circular was indeed a disaster on the Saturday - it took me over an hour from the  show to the A10 turnoff via Muswell Hill, at which point I tried to cut my losses and fought my way onto the A10. That was much better but still very bad - it took almost another half hour to reach the M25. I heard of one gentleman who took 5 hours to get home to East London. This evening seems to be rather easier .

An Oyster card can be bought at main railway stations, and once you have the thing it can be used as required and topped up ad hoc. Do not top up with a debit or credit card though - that automatically reports your identity and address to TfL, and Boris can see who you are and track your movements.......

I very much liked Empire Mills, which had atmosphere, also Billton Goods. Horfield was good . I liked the GW welsh branch near the entrance which has been in BRM I think, and I only caught a glimpse of what seemed to be an excellent L&YR layout. I've seen Warren Lane a number of times - good as it is, this meant it was less of a highlight

High Level had a replacement Pacer chassis on display. Having started a Branchlines one, I wasn't really in the market for another but would be interested in people's views how the two options compare

Thanks for your comments on the Bachmann N gauge layout. I am a part of the team which built it for Bachmann.

Nice to see more and more layouts adopting DCC and getting good running as a result.

As usual, there were extremely good layouts who were suffering less than good running. All running on DC.

As an example, the fantastic Leicester South was suffering the same control and running problems that I witnessed at the Southampton show, back in January, with stalling and spluttering locos, requiring several "hands of god" to intervene.

DCC would not cure all of these problems and is NOT the be all and all of modelrailways

I think a lot of audience fail to realise how 'dirty' exhibition air actually is.  After starting with pristine track, but early afternoon a wipe over reveals a greasy layer of crud, the exibitors nightmare, that with 'hot hall expansion' all part of the fun of exhibiting.

• RMweb Gold

I use DCC at home but the club layout is DC.

It would of made no difference at all which system was used, to give an idea before the doors opened I cleaned my glasses and then had to clean quite a layer of grease and crud off of them every 2 hours, this same crud is all over the track and wheels, things that exit/enter the fiddle can be cleaned 'off stage' but something such as an 03 on station pilot duties is eventually going to suffer with this accumulation. 

It says something that with the loco movements and shunting we carry out that people have to ask if we are DCC............

From an exhibitor's point of view, the biggest gripe regarding the venue itself has to be the abysmally poor reliability of the service lifts used by many for carrying kit up and down to the north car park. The AP people really need to do something about this before someone get hurt or collapses from the effort involved using the multiple flights of stairs which are a very poor, cramped alternative.

• RMweb Gold

From an exhibitor's point of view, the biggest gripe regarding the venue itself has to be the abysmally poor reliability of the service lifts used by many for carrying kit up and down to the north car park. The AP people really need to do something about this before someone get hurt or collapses from the effort involved using the multiple flights of stairs which are a very poor, cramped alternative.

I heard that they failed again last night. They seem to fail every year.

Last year we carried a lot of the stuff down the stairs when the lifts failed but this year we waited till we could drive up to the loading bays as there were fewer of us  to load.

I heard that they failed again last night. They seem to fail every year.

I thought I'd jump in for the novelty of a ride on the Sunday morning when I arrived. Failed again but the staff member said "they were both working yesterday" as though that's quite an unusual event.

We had a good weekend on Thorpe Road in the 3mm Society cell of layouts. Few issues on Saturday as the heat made one joint close up and introduce a short. Once had found it was able to keep tabs on it. Sunday was much better.

Had lots of interesting comments about the layout looking like those they had seen in the press back in the 60's, which is exactly what I had intended.

Probably would have been an idea to publicise the 50th Anniversary of the 3mm Society a bit more, to explain the display of layouts we had, starting with Thorpe Road, pure 1965 TT Gauge, Modbury Tor, 12mm gauge Peco track and lots of bits from the local model shop, Bilton Goods 12mm Scratch built track and structures and Daconby Town, 14.2mm Gauge 3mm finescale. 

'Arrived back Holyhead at half past midnight - 'Van unloaded and disposed of at 9am today - 'Knackered'!

We had (what was to me) one embarrassing 'blip' right in the middle of the busy period on the Saturday morning, when the key 3-way point outside the mill suddenly stopped working....... Typical! - This meant that all of the points in the vicinity had to be worked by hand, with me going under the baseboard continually for around 20mins until the fault was located. As it happens, the problem actually turned out to be inside one of the push buttons on the control panel..... However, as we carry spares for absolutely everything, repairs were discreetly carried out during a period when the torpedo wagon was being discharged in the mill - 'Hopefully no one in our audience noticed the frantic activities that went on in the background during the failure. If they did, then we apologise profusely....

Mention has been made earlier on here about the temperature in the hall on Saturday - Our Loco No.7 started acting strangely in the afternoon as it has done on previous occasions when the temperature has risen. Fortunately, the only problem was that when the horn was sounded, the head and tail lights went off...............

Anyway, the 'workforce' of RHYDWYN FAWR STEEL would now like to take the opportunity to thank Nick the all of the other organising staff for their hospitality and for the standard of organisation of what was a wonderful event, and my personal thanks must go particularly to Errol for operating on this occasion, and also in particular to John Catesby and my wife, Mo, who both stepped in at the last minute, to cover for an unavoidable absence and an unexpected illness respectively - Finally our combined thanks must go to our audience for their appreciation. It is intensely gratifying to see the smiles on the faces of all those people and their children who really appreciate the effort that has been put into both building and showing this layout.

Meanwhile, our next show is at 'TrainWest' at Melksham on 11th & 12th April - 'Looking forward to seeing you there!   :-)

Another excellent 'Ally Pally '. Loved 'Star Lane', ' Leicester South ' and some of the smaller

scales. Also made some purchases, E4 was the big one.

I often use the larger well known traders for major items, Hereford, Cheltenham and Kernow

and one other who i will not be using again. I was 'served' by a Woman who was clearly 

not in the best of  moods, and despite my spend of £90+ i was treated to a sort of silent 

contempt as items and money change hands. Manners and a smile cost nothing.

Anyway despite this an excellent event, be back next year!,

Another excellent 'Ally Pally '. Loved 'Star Lane', ' Leicester South ' and some of the smaller

I often use the larger well known traders for major items, Hereford, Cheltenham and Kernow

and one other who i will not be using again. I was 'served' by a Woman who was clearly 

not in the best of  moods, and despite my spend of £90+ i was treated to a sort of silent 

Archived