POLL NOW ADDED Strathmore Route Forum?

scottystitch

STRATHMORE ROUTE FORUM?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Like to see a Forum Dedicated to the Strathmore Route?

• Yes
    • No

The desk in my living room, where I've spent almost all my waking hours since the middle of March, overlooks the site of one of the stations on this route. Trucks go past all day.

As an aside to the history of the route, where should the new Strathmore Route go?

I'd take it as a given that it'd take more or less the historic route from Stanley Junction via Coupar Angus to a new site in Forfar. But from there - to Dundee via Broughty Ferry/Monifieth? To Arbroath via Friockheim on the original route?

My preference is to have a new through route from Forfar to Brechin to the ECML south of Laurencekirk - thus allowing an alternate Aberdeen-Perth route avoiding the single-track section between Montrose and Usan.

When I moved to Scotland, I spent a year or so driving buses to most of these places. A train would've been better!

A contemporary view of the same site.20200810_090806.jpg.b19d47c30f5c396aca87ea2b6d277830.jpg

Heartbreaking, isn't it :(

I've just finished "The Arbroath and Forfar Railway" by… a disappointing author. The book was good, but rushed exponentially towards the end. I wanted to know why Forfar got this new(?) signal box in its later years.

Found another photo here, a 1981 railtour from Edinburgh Waverley to Forfar, with a 122 leading what might be a 108. Very inconsiderate to marshall the van end of the 122 at the front of the train and deprive passengers a view forwards!

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/80s/810725db.htm

ps @sulzer27jd John - I like your location ;)

Edited by BusDriverMan

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 09/08/2020 at 22:33, sulzer27jd said:

Saw this thread come up again. It's such a shame that there is so little about this route.

Here are some photos that may be of interest;

33744047_ForfarPlatformlookingwest.jpg.4d98dc76fd06163f66dc375c80b0a750.jpg

932665060_ForfarStationSignalbox_1.jpg.c7bbb79fb85d2a0f7180866e2b6cd6e3.jpg

1755356797_ForfarGoodsShed.jpg.f97603b2cf5e0d59f620fce81efff247.jpg

646743978_ForfarUpPlatformBuilding_2.jpg.f2304c78d44081dbccc427d7b6aa08d3.jpg

John

These are such sad pictures.  I remember catching trains from these curved platforms when the place was busy, bustling and alive.

DT

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 10/08/2020 at 10:06, BusDriverMan said:

I've just finished "The Arbroath and Forfar Railway" by… a disappointing author. The book was good, but rushed exponentially towards the end. I wanted to know why Forfar got this new(?) signal box in its later years.

Like many of the similar books they are almost obsessed by the early years of these lines, which I understand is of interest to some. What is lacking however is more detail of how the lines were worked throughout their history. I suspect unfortunately that much of the detail from the pre-grouping and pre-nationalisation eras is now lost. What is disappointing is that even through the BR years there is very little knowledge of the operational aspects of the network of Strathmore lines.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, sulzer27jd said:

Like many of the similar books they are almost obsessed by the early years of these lines, which I understand is of interest to some. What is lacking however is more detail of how the lines were worked throughout their history. I suspect unfortunately that much of the detail from the pre-grouping and pre-nationalisation eras is now lost. What is disappointing is that even through the BR years there is very little knowledge of the operational aspects of the network of Strathmore lines.

John

You've 100% agreement from this observer.  It's no secret that I'm a Waverley Route obsessive, plus the NBL's counterpart route the Perth Direct, via the dramatic Glenfarg, however, the Strathmore has intrigued me for years too. 

It's an unsung closure much like the Perth Direct, although each line had its signature trains towards closure - on the Strathmore it was the Three Hour Expresses that provided the final fling for the A4s, alongside Class 29s and 40s... For my money the Perth Direct boasted the Kings Cross - Perth car sleepers.

I welcome all and any research into these networks especially in their latter years toward retrenchment and ultimate closure.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I dont think that drawback is restricted to the book on the Arbroath & Forfar. Most such books seems to have plenty of information on who did what in the 19th century, yet often very little on say, post war operations. 

Seen some fascinating pictures on FB recently of a Class 50 on a freight in Forfar. It seems they sometimes filled in after hauling the Highland sleeper as far as Perth. I assume the loco was changed for a 26?

• Like 1

Forfar yard loading bank and goods shed, with Station Park, home of the mighty Forfar Athletic FC in the background.

Scanned_Image_7_jpg.jpg.071fd3326f7e884f20767632f13f2f51.jpg

Goods shed and the new concrete goods shed.

1315176796_Goodssheds.jpg.90072e26f3ae6ebc0958bd673a18cedd.jpg

Close up of the concrete goods shed.

444535084_Concretegoodsshed.jpg.4aa2f0bc0bf555d679dcd232513abe13.jpg

I have numerous close ups and detail photos of the buildings if anyone is interested.

John

• Like 3

The concrete goods shed looks very similar to the Ratio/ Peco modular Provender Store.  I recall seeing one on a suggested layout plan based on Llangefni station on Anglesey.  I bet if I looked closely there were examples across the network - even St Boswells on the Waverley route; thinking about them they were associated with animal feed distribution, hence the concrete stilts to help keep rattus norvegicus at bay.

• RMweb Premium

Rather blurry still capture from one of my old super 8 cine films which I discarded years ago.   June 5th 1982, Forfar with the last passenger train about to depart for Perth.  40 143 was used for  morning and early evening out and back trips, allowing the Forfar folks a last train trip to Perth and those of us joining at Perth an afternoon in Forfar.

2274746321_04ff817a92_k.jpg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

Back in Forfar on 9th June, 2011, the steam shed was still intact, having been used latterly as a wholesale food store.

5815319201_913a99c6ee_c.jpg

It's still there now! Or at least, mostly still there - haven't been close up to compare to the photo here.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2020 at 17:32, Eddie R v2.0 said:

I’d absolutely love to see the route reopened in some form or other. A proper double track mainline that should be electrified all the way from Dunblane to Aberdeen. 
like so many routes that were closed prematurely, it’s potential could be huge. Another would be Peterhead but that’s for another thread. 

It's a great pity that Stanley Jc/Forfar was allowed to disappear; Nowadays it would be the ideal place for an extension of the Edinburgh/Perth service. However I can't see how, despite the constraint of the single line between Montrose and Usan, two separate routes between Perth and Aberdeen could be justified, especially as one would miss the major traffic centre of Dundee ! 

• Agree 2