Exploring Layouts for the Elham Valley Line

Turbo_Tim

Howard, on you Lyminge layout, does the 3' width allow for the long siding on the west side?

Jim F

Yes - if you look at

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59547-elham-valley-railiway/&do=findComment&comment=747177

there are some early photos. I will post some more recent ones when I get back from leave in acouple of weeks

Howard, thanks for that. the layout looks very good, what you have accomplished so far. I mainly asked because I have not tried plotting out the trackwork for a layout yet, and Dave from Roxey Mouldings said that was what stumped him,with his usuable space.

Jim F

• 2 weeks later...

A new and very helpful purchase from ebay. Not sure that I need to do much more research as it all seems to be in this book; photos, site plans, signalling diagrams + locking tables, scale drawings of buildings and bridges...

There's a new book by Brian Hart out soon which will be enormously useful (I'd assumed that it was a reprint of the original one from 1984 until I read the latest issues of 'Onward', the SEC Society magazine).

http://www.brianhartsrailways.com/books/11-the-elham-valley-railway-by-brian-hart.html

I had read this books was to be re-issued, I figured just a second printing, maybe some updates. However, this sounds to be like perhaps a re-write, with all and any new info he has gleaned over the years included. 

Either way, I'll be watching for the publication, and will definitely purchase a copy.

Thanks for the 'heads up', Pete.

Jim F

According to Dave Hammersley, of Roxey Mouldings, his local club, in Hillington, is building a layout based on Elham, itself. Station building looks almost identical to the one in Lyminge.

Jim F

• 10 months later...

gallery_18952_3530_27130.jpg

Elham

After a bit of a delay (I can't believe it's been a whole year) here is track plan number 3, Elham - http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/e/elham/index.shtml. The main reason for the delay has been a house move; the benefit of which is that I now have a garage with power to build a layout in (after I sort out all the belongings currently stored within and fit it out properly).

Elham is located towards the southern end of the line between Barham and Lyminge. I've made a few modifcations to the plan in order to fit it into the space available. The crossovers have been moved to bring them both into the scenic section of the layout. The overbridge at the Folkestone end of the station has been brought towards the station to act as a scenic break.

As part of the scenario of a preserved line the up platform has been lengthened to accomodate a 5 carriages and a locomotive, and the position of the signalbox adjusted to suit. I have left the goods yard as per the prototype.

The topography has been a bit of a puzzle - but as far as I can make out the line is on a slight embankment, just a little higher than the surrounding fields. This will make baseboard construction more challenging.

I think Elham is probably my preferred option to build, although I'm slightly intimidated by the fact that a Group elsewhere is building a model of the same location!

Looks good, lots of sidings for rusting "preserved" Diesels and MK1 coaches in various peeling liveries  and scope for at least 2 X 5 coach sets of MK1s or MK2s in Maroon livery with scope to run many hundreds of preserved and might have been preserved locos.

I can confirm that the line is raised very slightly above the valley floor, though to call it even a 'slight embankment' would be an exaggeration. It's just enough to keep it above the Nailbourne, when it's full (as it is at present). The footpath from North Lyminge towards Elham follows the route of the line for at least part of its length.

I can confirm that the line is raised very slightly above the valley floor, though to call it even a 'slight embankment' would be an exaggeration. It's just enough to keep it above the Nailbourne, when it's full (as it is at present). The footpath from North Lyminge towards Elham follows the route of the line for at least part of its length.

You're probably right - embankment is an overstatement. I did walk the footpath past the old station site in about 1999, but given how little is left and the redvelopment of the site it was very difficult to work out the precise alignment in that area. Having done a bit more research I think I'd have a bit more of an idea if I visit again.

Thanks,

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Walked part of it on the Folkestone side last weekend and was totally unaware of any embankment. Assume it was on the Canterbury side.

Can recommend the food at the King's Arms, a real local pub :)

As I said, 'embankment' is too grand a word for it. How far did you walk along the route? The last time I did it, the stile on the Lyminge side of the lane to Ottinge had barbed wire on the top of the stile. The Rose and Crown's a nice pub as well; if anyone was considering a research trip, they have rooms, and do reasonably-priced food. 

Not as far as I'd liked.

There was a freezing wind and my wife slipped into the raging nailbourne :)

At least it got some of the mud off.

The reason I mentioned that pub was it felt very close to Brian Hart's Elham.

Locals discussing local matters, not four by fours and livery costs...

Archived