Farish Diesels : Replacement coupling options?

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if anyone could possibly advise me as to any alternative couplings that could be used on the latest generation of Graham Farish diesel locomotives.  I am hoping to find something that's a little more discreet. I do not intend to change all my stocks couplings as l will be running them in set rakes/formations etc, so this is purely for cosmetic reasons on the locomotives.

Any help or guidance will be gratefully received

Bob C

I wonder if anyone could possibly advise me as to any alternative couplings that could be used on the latest generation of Graham Farish diesel locomotives.  I am hoping to find something that's a little more discreet. I do not intend to change all my stocks couplings as l will be running them in set rakes/formations etc, so this is purely for cosmetic reasons on the locomotives.

Bob C

Bob,

I think that the Dapol magnetic couplers look a lot more discreet than the old rapido's. And they do seem to work very well too!

With my fleet I will be equipping all the loco's with them, but not all the stock will be so fitted as many will be in fixed rakes too. Only where I need to couple to a loco or split rakes will the stock be so fitted.

Only problem is where stock or loco's don't have new NEM coupling pockets, although I have used a conversion kit to add Dapol couplings to a number of wagons (usually one end only, except for brake vans).

• RMweb Premium

Bob C

Bob,

I think that the Dapol magnetic couplers look a lot more discreet than the old rapido's. And they do seem to work very well too!

With my fleet I will be equipping all the loco's with them, but not all the stock will be so fitted as many will be in fixed rakes too. Only where I need to couple to a loco or split rakes will the stock be so fitted.

Only problem is where stock or loco's don't have new NEM coupling pockets, although I have used a conversion kit to add Dapol couplings to a number of wagons (usually one end only, except for brake vans).

Many thanks for your advice, I had seen these coupling from Dapol but not heard of anyone using them, I ll need to take a closer look at them

Thanks

Bob.C

• RMweb Gold

I use these on most of my Locos and ends of rakes of rolling stock on Banbury plus all the Dapol container flats.

For non NEM fitted locos such as the Farish 66 I remove the bogie side frames from the bogie and drop out the Rapido coupler and magnet.

The slot on the coupler pocket on the side frame moulding is then widened slightly each side so that a Dapol Easi Shunt standard length coupler will drop in. It does require some glue to hold it in place at the correct height but a spot of canopy glue allies for it to be removed later if need be.

I have posted photos on a Dapol Eeasi shunt conversion topic but not easy to find and link to using my iPad.

I find these couplers much more reliable than Rapidos but you do need to add the tiniest amount of canopy glue to one end of the metal spring to reduce the chances of it popping out as they are a pain yo find and refit.

Hi Bob,

The other measure is, whenever possible to run your locos single ended and fit the cosmetic screw link couplings and bake pipes. The Dapol magnetic couplings are more discreet and their simple buckeye ones are even more so (nice between 2 class 20s). A magnetic coupling can also be filed and glued into the rapido slot (class 44/5/6).

Peter

Archived