Phoenix kits / SRG

Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

It's been a while since I looked, but the SRG (Phoenix Kits) website was updated in November and is now stating that they have an "active" sales operation.  

..."The Group also produces the 'Phoenix' range of coaching stock kits for modellers working in 4mm scale, and has an activeSales operation, which whilst catering for the Southern modeller also includes many kits and components for the GW, LMS, LNER and BR modeller."...

I know Chris had quite a hectic year in 2014, so this is welcome news!

Cheers

(Just chased up the order I placed last March and will post back on the latest turnaround times once I get a reply from Chris).

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

I know, but I thought I'd give it one last go before throwing my toys out of the pram (again)!

As I mentioned above, Chris did have a particularly  extremely shite year last year, but as the new site now states "has an active sales operation", I thought I'd give it one last go.

After all , now that Gary at 247 no longer does the Ironclad Pull-Push parts (sides and ends), where else am I going to get a set?   I got a couple of Branchlines detailing kits off Brian in anticipation that they would be coming but alas I'm still waiting.

I've got a few of the Ironclad kits from Ebay in the past but I've never come across the Ironclad Pull-Push kits... yet!

:cry:  

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

Well, after the winge above, I checked my email to discover that Chris had dropped me a line to say that he would hopefully get the kits to me next month.

Hopefully they'll turn up otherwise I'll have to get me Weddell out (phnarr, phnarr !) and do some proper modelling!

Cheers

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Tim,

I emailed Chris a month ago about the Phoenix Ironclad push-pull coaches but have had no reply.

Did you ever hear from him?

Regards,

Adrian

As I mentioned above, Chris did have a particularly  extremely shite year last year, but as the new site now states "has an active sales operation", I thought I'd give it one last go.

:cry:  

• RMweb Premium

"Hi Tim,

I emailed Chris a month ago about the Phoenix Ironclad push-pull coaches but have had no reply.

Regards,

Adrian"

Hi Adrian

I've heard nothing at all.

I placed my original order in March 2014, so I think I've been patient.  

Chris at SRG did have very bad time last and early this year, so I understand that Phoenix sales will not have been a priority to him (he does the production in a voluntary capacity as Sales Officer).  

However, what really does annoy me is that the SRG website still states an "active" sales operation for Phoenix kits (and are still touting for business via postings on the SEMG Yahoo Group!).  The website should must be updated to make it clear that Phoenix kits are not available at the present time (or just simply take down the kit pages until they are back in full production).  Maybe it might be better if SRG put Phoenix up for sale so that someone who does have the resources to put the range back into production can do so. These are fantastic kits and it would be such a shame if they disappear into oblivion like so many others in recent times.

My main motivation for joining SRG was to gain access to the Phoenix kit range (these were advertised on the site, at that time, as only available to SRG members ) and I am now finding it difficult to justify renewing my membership in the future.

Cheers

Frustrated of 71G  :banghead:

Update:  21/07/15 - My emails are still being ignored!

Edited by Tim Dubya

I can supply the same side and end etches that Gary used to sell.

Hi Bill,

Could you please elaborate on 'can supply'? Are they actually available? I'd be willing to purchase a set of sides and ends but I'm a bit wary of paying a deposit given the continuing non-appearance of your BB/WC chassis which was promised several years ago.

Regards,

Adrian

First I've heard of this. Was it ever on the cards?

Yep! I believe deposits were taken for it. When I spoke to Bill at Scaleforum - I think it was the year before last - he said it would certainly appear given the demand for it. Just didn't say when though.

• 3 months later...

"Hi Tim,

Regards,

Adrian"

Hi Adrian

I've heard nothing at all.

I placed my original order in March 2014, so I think I've been patient.  

Chris at SRG did have very bad time last and early this year, so I understand that Phoenix sales will not have been a priority to him (he does the production in a voluntary capacity as Sales Officer).  

However, what really does annoy me is that the SRG website still states an "active" sales operation for Phoenix kits (and are still touting for business via postings on the SEMG Yahoo Group!).  The website should must be updated to make it clear that Phoenix kits are not available at the present time (or just simply take down the kit pages until they are back in full production).  Maybe it might be better if SRG put Phoenix up for sale so that someone who does have the resources to put the range back into production can do so. These are fantastic kits and it would be such a shame if they disappear into oblivion like so many others in recent times.

My main motivation for joining SRG was to gain access to the Phoenix kit range (these were advertised on the site, at that time, as only available to SRG members ) and I am now finding it difficult to justify renewing my membership in the future.

Cheers

Frustrated of 71G  :banghead:

Hi Chris

I am still waiting to receive a 6-PUL kit that I tried to order originally in March 2010!  I've exchanged numerous emails with Chris Knowles and even met him once at the Southampton Model Railway Show in 2012 and agreed to scribe the door recesses myself but it's always the same response - "jam tomorrow", but never any admission that the kits just aren't available which is clearly the case.  Emails get ignored and order forms/ cheques / credit card details get "lost"

I've given up now  but, like yourself, am annoyed that the SRG website still implies that  the kits are available to members.  I shall be finding it difficult to justify renewing my membership too!

Regards

Graham

• RMweb Premium

I believe CK-T is a member here, but under another name, like most of us.

he is chris45lsw on here.

Good luck, I still email trying to get a definitive answer to "when will my order be processed", but have thus far been ignored after my last couple of attempts (courtesy costs nothing in my book!).  

SRG are still actively promoting Phoenix kits, (this is from the site today):

"The Group also produces the 'Phoenix' range of coaching stock kits for modellers working in 4mm scale, and has an active Sales operation, which whilst catering for the Southern modeller also includes many kits and components for the GW, LMS, LNER and BR modeller".

As I have mentioned previously, Chris has had a terrible year, but the fact remains that SRG are still offering the Phoenix range for sale and encouraging new members. I persevere because I want the kits but I'm now am feeling increasingly frustrated and in a way conned by SRG.  

Time to sell Phoenix on?

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

That may never happen. If the whole Phoenix operation is a bit of a mess, who'd want to take it on?

Fair comment.  

I don't think one could make a living from it but it might work if it were incorporated into other range(s).

Maybe like Blacksmith and Coopercraft  :jester:

Fair comment.  

I don't think one could make a living from it but it might work if it were incorporated into other range(s).

Maybe like Blacksmith and Coopercraft  :jester:

...with business advice from Phoenix Precision and Karlgarin?  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

About time I put my hapenneth in. Several years ago I contacted the above mainly southern coach kits supplier by email and got no response. I tried again several times by email with still no response. I then wrote a letter and did get a response saying that if I was member of the group I could get a discount on kits. So I replied to say yes I'd like to become a member; no response. I tried a few more emails and telephone calls and never got another response or answer, so I gave up and wouldn't recommend them to anyone anywhere, ever. Totally inconsiderate and of no use at all in my opinion.

If one of their team would care to contact me to tell me off for slagging them off then fine, but do not expect a response.....................................

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

Hmm,

Have all but 3 of the 10-coach Centenary set (for the benefit of any Godless Heathens amongst us, that's the coaches built in 1935 (the Great Western's Centenary year) for the Cornish Riviera Limited).  Emailed last year. Not even the courtesy of a response.

Various other Colletts, e.g. B-Set wanted.  Hmph.  Wanted 11-coach Riviera set too (the 1929 set for the Limited).  Hatton's Kings likely to find themselves seriously under-employed at this rate. Thought about some Ironclads for my T9.  Really, there is quite a lot in that range that could tempt me.

BUT, will try again based upon Tim Dubya's information.  Not holding my breath, mind you.