Phoenix kits / SRG

Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

Hmm,

Have all but 3 of the 10-coach Centenary set (for the benefit of any Godless Heathens amongst us, that's the coaches built in 1935 (the Great Western's Centenary year) for the Cornish Riviera Limited).  Emailed last year. Not even the courtesy of a response.

Various other Colletts, e.g. B-Set wanted.  Hmph.  Wanted 11-coach Riviera set too (the 1929 set for the Limited).  Hatton's Kings likely to find themselves seriously under-employed at this rate. Thought about some Ironclads for my T9.  Really, there is quite a lot in that range that could tempt me.

BUT, will try again based upon Tim Dubya's information.  Not holding my breath, mind you.

Try ebay, I think I saw some the other day (I know nothing about GWR stock, so please excuse if I'm wrong).

Cheers

What a pity if it is dead.  From the GW perspective, it gave better coverage overall than Comet; the two ranges overlap, but there's stuff in each not covered by the other. 

Thanks, Tim.  In fact, the 7 I have are pretty much all from Ebay.  I hadn't been able to find the missing 3, but I'll have a look.   

• RMweb Premium

What a pity if it is dead.  From the GW perspective, it gave better coverage overall than Comet; the two ranges overlap, but there's stuff in each not covered by the other. 

Thanks, Tim.  In fact, the 7 I have are pretty much all from Ebay.  I hadn't been able to find the missing 3, but I'll have a look.   

Ebay is now the only supply of Phoenix kits I'm afraid.  Worth saving a search and getting emailed when something turns up.

ALL IRONCLADS ON EBAY ARE MINE!

Hmm,

Have all but 3 of the 10-coach Centenary set (for the benefit of any Godless Heathens amongst us, that's the coaches built in 1935 (the Great Western's Centenary year) for the Cornish Riviera Limited).  Emailed last year. Not even the courtesy of a response.

Various other Colletts, e.g. B-Set wanted.  Hmph.  Wanted 11-coach Riviera set too (the 1929 set for the Limited).  Hatton's Kings likely to find themselves seriously under-employed at this rate. Thought about some Ironclads for my T9.  Really, there is quite a lot in that range that could tempt me.

BUT, will try again based upon Tim Dubya's information.  Not holding my breath, mind you.

Riviera Dining triplet on eBay at the moment. Kitchen car just finished unsold.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121705652338?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Mike Wiltshire

• 2 years later...

In a post on another thread which I cannot now find [EDIT: it was 'A Nod To Brent], I said that I would be visiting the SRG stand at Southampton.  I did so yesterday and picked up a copy of the January 2017 catalogue.  Among other things it says:

"Owing to various factors - eg developments elsewhere in the model carriage market since Phoenix (then BSL) started in 1968 and broken or worn tools which no longer give acceptable results etc - production of new sides is largely suspended at the moment while we review how to proceed in the future.  In the meantime feel free to ask; we may still be able to help you."

On the stand I noticed a pile of aluminium sides for GW 70 ft coaches and several bundles of etched coach sides once produced by 247 Developments.  There was also an assortment of bogie and buffer castings and aluminium roof and floor sections.  I made a modest purchase and moved on.

From the thread which I cannot now find I recall a screen print of the SRG website which IIRC has nor been updated since 2016 2015 and still offers hope, forlorn or otherwise, that if one joins SRG one will be able to order ex-Phoenix kits.  Clearly it will be unwise of SRG to wait any longer before amending the website to reflect reality.

For those who may not know, the contact for all orders and other queries is Chris Knowles-Thomas, who is a member of RMweb.

Chris 

Edited by chrisf

Ina post on another thread which I cannot now find I said that I would be visiting the SRG stand at Southampton.  I did so yesterday and picked up a copy of the January 2017 catalogue.  Among other things it says:

"Owing to various factors - eg developments elsewhere in the model carriage market since Phoenix (then BSL) started in 1968 and broken or worn tools which no longer give acceptable results etc - production of new sides is largely suspended at the moment while we review how to proceed in the future.  In the meantime feel free to ask; we may still be able to help you."

On the stand I noticed a pile of aluminium sides for GW 70 ft coaches and several bundles of etched coach sides once produced by 247 Developments.  There was also an assortment of bogie and buffer castings and aluminium roof and floor sections.  I made a modest purchase and moved on.

From the thread which I cannot now find I recall a screen print of the SRG website which IIRC has nor been updated since 2016 and still offers hope, forlorn or otherwise, that if one joins SRG one will be able to order ex-Phoenix kits.  Clearly it will be unwise of SRG to wait any longer before amending the website to reflect reality.

For those who may not know, the contact for all orders and other queries is Chris Knowles-Thomas, who is a member of RMweb.

In other words, nothing's really changed, has it?

In a post on another thread which I cannot now find [EDIT: it was 'A Nod To Brent], I said that I would be visiting the SRG stand at Southampton.  I did so yesterday and picked up a copy of the January 2017 catalogue.  Among other things it says:

From the thread which I cannot now find I recall a screen print of the SRG website which IIRC has nor been updated since 2016 2015 and still offers hope, forlorn or otherwise, that if one joins SRG one will be able to order ex-Phoenix kits.  Clearly it will be unwise of SRG to wait any longer before amending the website to reflect reality.

Chris 

It would not be so bad if SRG actually sold what stock they do have.

Mike Wiltshire

I just wrote them off as very rude types.  I have made various attempts to contact them over the years and have never had the courtesy of a response.  It is news to me that they are active enough to have a stand at a show or anything to sell.  Wish I'd known that.  wish I could track down some of that stock!

• RMweb Gold

I thought that l was getting somewhere two or three years back when l suggested that if the tools were near worn out for the purposes of stamping aluminium perhaps they could be used to stamp out 20 thou plastic card. This would have been kinder to the cutting edges. It was agreed that this might be possible but then it went dead. Two or three e-mails later.....still dead.

I understand that all work is/was done by one chap in a garage. The range, in my view, was much too vast as l would have thought that they would have focused on purely 'Southern' (SRG?) with particular emphasis on SR EMUs.

Not anymore it would seem unfortunately. We need quite a large range of first generation SR EMUs so to that end we will be using a 'Silhouette' machine to cut all that we need. Also the use of Bill Bedford etched Maunsell sides for cut'n'shut work. 

In the past l have built several quite passable GW 57 & 70ft Colletts from the original BSL kits from Hobbytime in Kent in the days before etched kits were all the rage.

SRG and Phoenix must be considered dead now l suppose. Sad but there it is.

On the stand I noticed a pile of aluminium sides for GW 70 ft coaches and several bundles of etched coach sides once produced by 247 Developments. There was also an assortment of bogie and buffer castings and aluminium roof and floor sections.

I took a butchers at these sides too but those that I saw were pretty badly scratched. They had not been looked after at some point

• RMweb Premium

I had a (very patient, I thought) two year wait (and two years wasted membership) to be told that I would get my kits 'if I was patient'.

I understand the circumstances in the delays but it would have been better to have told me that the kits were no longer available. What actually infuriated me more was after paying for two years membership with no kits, the sales officer of SRG was openly touting for business on the SEMG yahoo group.

Time to sell on the tooling, stop b######ting and conning people out of membership fees (at the time I joined kits were supposedly only available to SRG members).

Thankfully Bill Bedford came to my rescue with the kits I wanted and I got the rest via eBay.

and relax... it's only a hobby :)

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 1

What a shame.

The previous owner of Cambrian Kits was pretty much a 'one man in a garage' outfit.  Yet a more courteous and responsive trader one could not hope to find.  Some people are obviously better fitted for dealing with their fellow human beings than others.

I took a butchers at these sides too but those that I saw were pretty badly scratched. They had not been looked after at some point

With respect you didn't look very carefully/closely.  They are not "badly scratched" - most are fine and have been sitting quietly in a cardboard box for years.  Anyway a number were bought by, I presume, satisfied customers.

Chris KT (the villain of the piece!)

You seem proud of the fact.

I would be embarrassed at the farce you have created. Just sayin'.....

Not at all; of course I'm not proud and I am embarrassed.  Just holding up my hands and admitting it.  That's the trouble with text - it doesn't convey emotion.  So I write with contrition in my head but the reader may chose to see arrogance in the bald text, even if that's not my actual attitude!

Chris KT

With respect you didn't look very carefully/closely.  They are not "badly scratched" - most are fine and have been sitting quietly in a cardboard box for years.  Anyway a number were bought by, I presume, satisfied customers.

Chris KT (the villain of the piece!)

The big question is how do others become satisfied customers if they are not fortunate enough to attend the Southampton show?

Presumably not all the stock was sold. How can I buy?

Mike Wiltshire

The big question is how do others become satisfied customers if they are not fortunate enough to attend the Southampton show?

Presumably not all the stock was sold. How can I buy?

Mike Wiltshire

Hello Mike

You can contact me direct at chriskthomas@waitrose.com .  At the moment I have in stock 5 x 3rds / 4 x LH van 3rds / 2 x RH van 3rds / 1 x RH 1st/3rd  compo / 2 x compo restaurants (original windows).

Naturally I can also supply cast ends (bow end &/or flat), floors, roofs, solebars, buffers (although they are only generic) and bogies if required.

Chris Knowles-Thomas  

• 3 years later...

@chris45lsw

Hello Chris

Hope you are safe and well?

As there's been a pause of three years on this topic, i'm wondering if the situation has improved?

I'm trying to find a kit for a Slip Coach.

Or, should we do as advised and search for Phoenix Kits on eBay?

Thanks and regards

Keith