New range of Thomas the Tank Engine in 2015

Coldgunner

• RMweb Gold

There's a marked difference in Payne's and Dalby's work, which is why 'Thomas the Tank Engine' looks so different to the preceding and following books.

My favourite has to be Peter Edwards' impressionist style, the others just do not seem to capture emotion, mood, and movement as well as Edwards. Kenney was also evocative of old railway posters, and his attention to detail, and understanding of relative dimensions and scale was so different to Dalby.

• Like 1

Is there a makert for a P4 Thomas The Tank range?

Dunno about P4, but a P2 in the Thomas range could prove interesting.....

I can feel a title coming on already - "Aberdeen Angus and the 1st Radius curve"

Its a fair cop guv.  I'll come quietly!

There's an interesting couple of paragraphs on The Railway Series wikipedia page.

There were multiple illustrators and Rev. Awdry appears to have clashed with more than one of them. He appears to have been quite particular, unsurprisingly given that he was  a railway enthusiast.

Thanks - I'd forgotten about Middleton and Payne,probably because my combined volume has Dalby's pictures in instead.

From a purely commercial sales point of view, I can't help feeling that Bachmann is stealing Hornby's thunder. Yes, they aren't supposed to be for the UK market, but the Internet has blurred that line and the grey import market is strong, it's now quite easy for a parent to buy from Amazon.con for example. Look at the range of TTTE characters that Bachmann have produced in quite a short period of time. Even HO9 narrow gauge!

Guest spet0114

From a purely commercial sales point of view, I can't help feeling that Bachmann is stealing Hornby's thunder. Yes, they aren't supposed to be for the UK market, but the Internet has blurred that line and the grey import market is strong, it's now quite easy for a parent to buy from Amazon.con for example. Look at the range of TTTE characters that Bachmann have produced in quite a short period of time. Even HO9 narrow gauge!

I agree.

When you compare the stuff Hornby tries to sell us to the models Bachmann sells to the rest of the world,  it's almost insulting. Bachmann have basically tooled from scratch a range that closely resembles the models seen on tele and on most cases isn't a million miles from the book illustrations. Hornby have continued their practice of bodging together models based on existing products that bear minimal resemblance to either tele or book. Whilst this might have been acceptable in 1984 when time and budgets were tight,  they've had 30 years to improve matters, but instead have gotten worse - see earlier comments about Emily, Edward etc.  It's as if the franchisee sees the UK as a protected market of cash cows that they can sell any old rubbish to. 

Edited by spet0114
  • Like 1

Interesting though that the new Bachmann Skarloey is listed at $150/£100. If a non-enthusiast parent looking to buy a loco for their child (or even the child themself if they get too much pocket money!) sees a "Gordon" and a  much smaller Skarloey for a similar price, which one are they going to go for?

• 3 weeks later...

Time for more musings regarding the "New" Hornby Thomas range from me. Yaaaaay(.)

I must say that I really agree with Spet about the Hornby Thomas range compared to the Bachmann one. The reason why Hornby made characters based on existing toolings was not to be more "accurate to the railway series"- it's been mentioned by several sources that the Hornby range is meant to represent the characters from the TV show- it's just that Hornby are lazy/stingy whatsits. Hornby's Thomas range has next to no advantage over that of Bachmann's. Bachmann's range has more choice, better accuracy, often better detailing (seriously, compare the Hornby and Bachmann Diesel and try to tell me that Hornby are more "detailed"), and often better scaling. The Hornby Toby couldn't be more overscale if it tried, and is too tall to fit under certain bridges, tunnels and sheds manufactured by Hornby. That's a very big and real flaw. Bill and Ben have a similar problem- they're far too fat! The fact that they're blockier and less detailed compared to the Bachmann models is a further insult to injury. Absolutely no advantage apart from speed and strength, and let's face it, the first thing a customer wonders when buying a model of Bill, Ben or Toby will not be "can it pull a rake of 15 coaches at 100 scale miles an hour?"

Bachmann has got plenty in store for this year (unless they delay everything again) and I feel that if Hornby doesn't up their game then it will be the final nail in the coffin for their Thomas range. They may have their advantages here and there, but the public will see it as an inferior range which is more expensive and offers less choice. 

One thing about Bachmann's Thomas range is that it tends to stick to classic-era characters. Hornby could potentially fill a gap in the market by releasing more recent characters. They already have Dart, but I can think of at least two engines that they could add to the range without much trouble.

The first is Stephen, the engine based on the Rocket. The Hornby Emily shows that Hornby aren't afraid to repurpose the limited edition Triang models as Thomas characters, and so they could put Stephen in the range simply by getting the old Stephenson's Rocket tool from the 1960s and adding a smokebox and buffer beam. It would be reasonably accurate without being overly detailed.

The other is Ryan, who is an upcoming character based on a GNR/LNER N2 class. The Hornby Oliver shows that the old Airfix toolings are not out of the question for the Thomas range, so a simple repaint and face will result in a new character.

I just really hope that there are some surprises awaiting for us in the new Hornby Thomas range. Bachmann is quickly making the Hornby Thomas range look like a joke, and I think that it would be embarrassing for Hornby to bring it back without having something in store that gives them an edge over Bachmann (or at least make them look like worthy competition).

TL;DR version: come on Hornby, give us an update!

I've already had customers coming into the shop asking if they can order Hornby's new range of Thomas as they have seen adverts in places and i've had to tell them that nothing has been announced yet. The demand is there, Hornby just need to hurry up otherwise there will be lots of sad children this year not getting items from Thomas as Hornby haven't produced enough to meet demand as they seem to be leaving it to the last minute. 

I'm lucky - my twin grandsons (coming up to 5 in JUne) have an extensive collection of the ERTL metal Thomas and friends 'models'.

But, they have passed the Thomas, Percy stage.

Now their two black liveried ERTL 'diesel' shunters are coupled nose to nose and are "Class 20s bamps"

James has a tender fore and after is now a "Beyer Garratt"

Annie & Clarabel coupled together with faces outmost are now a 'Pacer'

Little point in wasting good cash buying them electric Thomas and friends, they can go directly to "real modelling"

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 4

I've already had customers coming into the shop asking if they can order Hornby's new range of Thomas as they have seen adverts in places and i've had to tell them that nothing has been announced yet. The demand is there.

You should let your Hornby sales rep. know that.

Even he hasn't got any information on the Thomas range

That's not surprising.

Marketing organizations rarely tell their sales force anything until right around the time public announcements are made. Nevertheless it will help get the message back to HQ.

• RMweb Premium

Recalling Simon Kohler's Blog about the acceptability and accuracy of the original Thomas range compared with the TV programmes, I wonder if its all gone quiet because Hornby has offered the existing tooling and the licence holder (who is it now?) has said no, they've got to look more like the current versions. 

• RMweb Gold

I doubt very much Hornby would announce the range without the license in place ;)

Are we expecting this to sell out with the amount of people clamouring for news? ;)

Maybe this is the long awaited Hornby TT range? :)

• RMweb Premium

I doubt very much Hornby would announce the range without the license in place ;)

Indeed, but reading the Simon Says blog, having the licence wasn't in practice a licence to sell what you liked; the models had to be approved first.

I wonder if its all gone quiet because Hornby has offered the existing tooling and the licence holder (who is it now?) has said no, they've got to look more like the current versions.

That's hard to imagine. Mr. Kohler's very interesting reminisces on the subject involved Ms. Britt Allcroft. She is no longer the license holder - the license is owned by HiT Entertainment which I believe is a wholly owned subsidiary of Mattel which happened in 2010. Edited by Ozexpatriate

It's hard to say whether or not HiT/Mattel are not accepting the old toolings. On one side, the brand now is much more unified than it was during the 1980s, with virtually all the merchandise adhering to a common house style that reflects the current character designs. Plus, some merchandise lines, particularly the Wooden Railway range, have seen some real improvement since Mattel's takeover. On the other hand some merchandise lines have suffered. Shortly after buying out HiT, the Take-n-play diecast line of toys saw a dramatic improvement, but this was ultimately short lived, and last year the range's aesthetic quality took a nosedive. It's gotten to the point where the diecast line of Thomas toys is being surpassed in accuracy by not only the Wooden Railway range but even the free gifts you get with the Thomas magazines! Suffice to say, Mattel aren't necessarily more or less likely to disapprove the old Hornby Thomas toolings than Apax or Allcroft. To be honest though, I think it would be nice if they did.

• Like 1

Yes, my mistake. I used the wrong date.

In early 2010, HiT Entertainment licensed Thomas & Friends to Mattel for toys.

Mattel agreed to purchase HiT Entertainment sans Sprout from Apax Partners group in October 2011 for $680 million. The sale/merger was completed on February 1, 2012, and HIT Entertainment became a wholly owned subsidiary of Mattel, managed under its Fisher-Price unit.

Mattel aren't necessarily more or less likely to disapprove the old Hornby Thomas toolings than Apax or Allcroft.

I can't imagine someone from Mattel/Fisher Price caring to the same extent Britt Allcroft did, but you never know. Edited by Ozexpatriate

Though as a toymaker they could decide to cut out the middleman and make the toy trains themselves.

I can't think that would be a good thing for TTTE modellers or the hobby as a whole.  How many people started with a Thomas set and bought 'proper models' from Hornby to expand it.  I know I did and that there are a few items in my stock box that used to have a face. 

I doubt that a Mattel Thomas range would use 16.5mm gauge and 12v DC through the rails,  it would be cheaper to use plastic track and battery power.

Though as a toymaker they could decide to cut out the middleman and make the toy trains themselves.

I can't think that would be a good thing for TTTE modellers or the hobby as a whole.  How many people started with a Thomas set and bought 'proper models' from Hornby to expand it.  I know I did and that there are a few items in my stock box that used to have a face. 

I doubt that a Mattel Thomas range would use 16.5mm gauge and 12v DC through the rails,  it would be cheaper to use plastic track and battery power.

They already have a plastic-tracked battery powered line called Trackmaster. Mattel make the majority of Thomas toylines in the west nowadays (under the Fisher Price name), and Hornby and Bachmann are very much exceptions. I'm not sure if I can see Mattel making their own OO gauge electric line, as I don't think they've made anything similar in the past. All the companies that have made electric models based on the Thomas franchise so far have all been established model railway companies- Hornby for OO scale, Bachmann for OO and G scales, Lionel for O and G scales, Marklin for OO scale and Tomix for N scale. I feel that if Mattel were to deprive Hornby of the UK License for OO gauge Thomas products, then they'd give it to Bachmann.

Edited by Rexeljet