I have always been fascinated by the liveries and designs of pre-grouping locomotives. When Tri-ang introduced the Rocket and the Lord of the Isles I was tempted to buy them even though it was difficult to justify running them on my Southern Region layout. The picture shows some of the locomotives and rolling stock I have collected over the years.

post-17621-0-24783900-1421343121_thumb.jpg

For a display case Great British Locomotives provides an alternative to working models of pre-grouping engines.  The magazine that comes with them provides more detailed information than you would find on the box of a ready to run model. The editor of Swanage Railway Magazine could not believe that they only cost £8.99 and thought I had made an error when I mentioned the price in an article for the Spring issue. The picture shows an LSWR T9 and the background scene is a field near the Skew Arch bridge at Norden on the Swanage Railway.

post-17621-0-97156700-1421398889_thumb.jpg

I have always been fascinated by the liveries and designs of pre-grouping locomotives. When Tri-ang introduced the Rocket and the Lord of the Isles I was tempted to buy them even though it was difficult to justify running them on my Southern Region layout. The picture shows some of the locomotives and rolling stock I have collected over the years.

In the middle of the shelf underneath the Rocket and coaches, there is what appears to be an LSWR K10 loco (or an L11). I''ve started converting a GBL T9 to a K10 and would be interested to know what your model is. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

My Hornby Rocket set made in 1983 on the Purbeck Model Railway Group's layout at Swanage. Tri-ang sold 12,500 of the original 1963 version in the UK and a further 22,500 overseas. The first version had a smoke unit, crew and magnadhesion. Hornby later made a large scale live steam version. On 18 February Great British Locomotives are going to produce a static model with one coach and a booklet for £8.99. There is also an Airfix kit which Dapol still make.

post-17621-0-86463900-1423331449_thumb.jpg

A couple of pictures of LSWR passenger trains on the Lee-on-the-Solent protofour layout displayed with the owners' permission. These were at the Bournemouth Model Railway Exhibition today see www.bmre.org.uk When the Kernow gate stock appears it will be possible to repaint the gate stock to make a reasonable representation of an LSWR set.

post-17621-0-54773900-1423407494_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-71502000-1423407523_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived