G&D Sorethroat Branchline

McRuss

• RMweb Gold

Hello,

today I started with the benchwork for my planned G&D Sorethroat Branchline.

DSCI2330.JPG

DSCI2331.JPG

Here the trackplan.

G%26D_Eisenbahnzimmer4a.jpg

What I built today is the benchwork for Gorre, and then I will built the fiddle yard. After these I will expand the layout step for step.

Markus

• Like 7

G'day Markus,

Your benchwork looks very neat and professional. You might want to rethink the trackplan for Gorre though. As it's drawn you will only be able to run very short trains in and out of Gorre, as their length will be limited by the short headshunt/tail track that is shown on the right hand end above the turntable. I've highlighted this length of track in green below:

16103327147_25df2b9ab2_o.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by dullsteamer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mark,

thank you for your reply. I know that the headshunt is short. But I only want to run short trains. And I don't plan to run through trains

from the fiddle to Sorethroat. But maybe I could increase the length of it, The depth ot the peninsular is 6 inch wider than first planned.

Usually a goods trains will arrive from the fiddle yard, Then the wagons will be shunted to the industries at Gorre,

Wagons for the Sorethroat branch will be stored at the track which is situated between the runaround siding and the branchline.

Then the shunter will pull the wagons out of the track und will propell them along the headshunt. The rout will then be changed and

the wagons are pushed on the branchline track where a engine is waiting for them.

Markus

• RMweb Gold

I like the idea and work so far and I do agree on the short headshunt too. All trains would have to shunt out and back into the runround which is going to add to the operation though so will probably actually make it more interesting to work. One suggestion would be to lengthen that headshunt by curving it a bit earlier and tighter then have a fold up/down 2x2 (in your grid dimension) piece to extend onto which shouldn't narrow the aisle too much.

post-6968-0-59425100-1421368396.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanky you for your replies.

I will have a thought about extending the headshunt, but when I did this than not with a 40 x 40 cm (8x8") area, because I don't want

to much of the upper level above my Inverlael station area on the lower level.(lightning etc.)

Simon, I know that there is space for a wye, but I would like to keep the electrics as simple as possible, and with a wye I had to add

a circuit breaker or some other electronic gizmo.

And on the left the siding which is there is the receiving track of the Gorre Cinnabar Smelter, which recieves Cinnabar ore from

the Cinnabar mine at Sorethroat.

Markus

• RMweb Gold

Today I finished the benchwork, but I couldn't get enought 3mm MDF for trackbed, so I couldn't transfer the entire trackplan.

G%26D_Eisenbahnzimmer4a.jpg

I decided to add two storage tracks between the two headshunt tracks on the right. And there will be another industry siding which will sit between the right headshunt and the

Engineshed. When have so far completed the trackplan I unboxed my entire rolling stock and placed it on the transfered trackplan. Over the years I've collected

quite a lot. I think I won't need any boxcars in the near future. :)

DSCI2332.JPG

Mantua by Modelpower 2-6-6- Articulated. My biggest Engine, but I think it will only appear only sporadic.

DSCI2333.JPG

on the left a Mantua by Modelpower 0-6-0 Goatswitcher, on the riight the above mentioned storage tracks with the ore cars and gondolas

DSCI2334.JPG

from left Frateschi/Modelpowar 2-8-0 Oldtimer Consolidation, Roundhouse 2-8-0 Oldtimer Consolidation with soundchip, Mehano/IHC 0-4-0 Docksider

DSCI2335.JPG

on the left, a passenger train to Sorethroat is waiting for passengers, than there is a storage track with some boxcars and Cabooses etc. on the third track stand a passenger train which arrived recently,

and on the outermost track on the right waits a goodstrain for departure.

DSCI2336.JPG

Another view of the future Engine Service Facilities. Where the G&D boxcar is standing there will be a siding for coal, sand, end spare parts.

DSCI2337.JPG

View from the future statonbuildung. On the left the goods train with the articulated locomotive. On the right the passenger train to Sorethroat.

DSCI2338.JPG

View from a raised perspective

DSCI2340.JPG

Another view from the opposite direction

DSCI2341.JPG

And a view from my eye level

A listing of my locomotive

0-4-0 Docksider from Mehano/IHC
4-4-0 Modern American from Mehano/IHC
0-6-0 Goatswitcher/Camelback from Mantua by Modelpower
2-6-0 Mogul (mit Sounddecoder) from Mehano/IHC
2-6-6-2 Articulated from Mantua by Modelpower
2-8-0 Consolidation from Frateschi/Modelpower
2-8-0 Consolidation from Roundhouse (mit Sounddecoder
70ton GE Switcher from Bachmann Spectrum (mit Decoder ab Werk)

Except the the three mentioned engines I'm not sure if the other engines are DCC chipped,

One of the Mantua engines is chipped, but I have forgotten which one

The passenger cars are from different manufacturers
2x Short Heavyweights from Rivarossi (Pennsylvania RR Paint scheme)
2x Overton Coaches (1x Baggage, 1x Observaton Car) from Roundhouse/MDC factory painted G&D paint scheme
2x Oldtimer Passenger Cars (I think they are made by Modelpower) I changed them to the G&D paint scheme
1x Oldtimer Baggage Car (I think also from Modelpower.) I started changing the paintscheme, but haven't finnished it, so it is still black on one side.

The goods wagons are from different manufacturerers and are partly purchased via Ebay. If I'm right there is an old Varney SP Boxcar.. The are from
Roundhouse, Athearn, Roundhouse/MDC, Tichy Train Group, Walthers, Bowser, Red Caboose, Intermountain, possible one or two from Life Like, and three byi Mehano/IHC Güterwagen.

Markus

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Not what a real railroad would do, though.

There is space for a wye, across the left hand side. Given that some trains might terminate and still use the platforms you have already, you could have a three sided station.

Oh I dunno there were all sorts of odd arrangements here, Ireland and in the US to access stations. It would be more common to put the runround further up so it was directly accessible by both lines but there are places in reality where trains used to set back into the station, Dorchester for one, as it's not on the mainline and one I can think of in Germany where passenger trains cross by the first to arrive setting back into a siding with no station at all. There's no reason a US line wouldn't adopt a similar solution, having intended a loop on both sides of the station, to save money if finances were tight.

Simons Wye idea is good though as you can drop the turntable at that end of the branch.

Edited by PaulRhB

Maine Central passenger trains between Portland ME and St. Johnsbury, VT had to do the kind of reversal in each direction Simon describes in order to call at the Boston and Maine depot, the MEC depot having been closed. An extension brake hose and valve allowed the conductor a degree of control if the need arose. Depending on direction the train would either cross the diamond and then back down to the depot for its station stop, then pull forward again to resume its trip, or head in to the depot before backing out and crossing the diamond.

I do like the wye arrangement Simon suggests if it can be arranged.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Phil,

thank you for your post. At the moment I'm not sure what I will use for Gorre station building.

A bit of history of the Sorethroat Branch.

Around 1900 a prospector found cinnabar in the mountains near Sorethroat. The local  businessmen at Sorethroat decided to

fund a railway from Sorethroat to Gorre. Here they could connect with the G&D. Within a short time the line was built. Because of the restricted space at

Sorethroat the Sorethroat & Porkbelly Railroad built a turntable at the end of the station so that the turntable could be used for running arround the train.

At Gorre there was no roundaround sidings, because the S&P got trackage rights on the G&D.

In the early years of the S&P G&D president Vanderslip decided to built a Cinnabar Smelter at Gorre.

During the 1920s the S&P got into financial trouble and was acquired by the G&D. During the Great Depression in the 1930s

a massive landslide burried a large part of the line to Daphetid. Due to the lack of revenue on the line to Daphetid.

So the line was never cleared.

After the takeover of the S&P there were plans to built a wye at Gorre, but with the position of the cinnabar smelter these was

not possible.

In my timesetting for my G&D we are in the years after the war. The G&D is a bit of

anachronism. Because there is a lot of rolling stock and vehicles would suit an earlier period.

Markus

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Morning,

due to a flu and an otits media I recently didn't made much on the G&D. But the last three days I could do some work on it.
First I made two Lasercut kits that I have for some years. I also finished some wagon kits that I started a few years ago.
Yestetrday I glued down most of the ties and turnout ties. For the turnouts I'm using Fasttracks jigs. I still have to glue down some ties but most ist done.
I altered the trackplan an made a runaround track from the siding that sits between the tracks form the fiddle yard and the track to Sorethroat.
I also glued down the track between the fiddle yard and the Gorre station throat.

The track diagram for the engine facility was also changed a little bit. I inserted a fourth track wich will be the Caboose track.

The second track from the left in the engine facility is fixed temporarly because I have to sort out the track distance between the two engine shed tracks.

DSCI2345.JPG

View from the future fiddle yard to Gorre

DSCI2346.JPG

the engine terminal

DSCI2347.JPG

left the track to Sorethroat with the new runaround siding.

DSCI2348.JPG

DSCI2349.JPG

For the turnouts I use Fasttracks turnout lasercut ties.

The new runaround siding will hold a steam engine and three 40foot boxcars and a caboose or

a steam engine with five ore cars and a caboose.

Markus

Edited by McRuss
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello,

work on my G&D continued.

I handlaid some of the tracks at Gorre. For the turnouts I used the Fastrack turnout templates.

Today I constructed the fiddle yard.

DSCI2719.JPG

DSCI2720.JPG

DSCI2721.JPG

DSCI2722.JPG

DSCI2723.JPG

DSCI2724.JPG

DSCI2725.JPG

The longest track in the back could accomodate a locomotive, seven 40ft cars and a caboose. On the next track there is place for the engine, four 40ft cars and caboose.

On the third track I could accomodate an engine with four ore cars and a caboose. And last but not least on the fourth track I could place a passenger train with the engine

and two passenger cars.  On the yard track on the left, there is also the possibility to store four cars or the passenger train.

But I'm not ready with it. At the end I will place a turntable, which could also be used as turntable for Sorethroat. But I'm not sure which one to use.

I first planned to use the Atlas turntable, but these couldn't accomodate my Mantua 2-6-6-2 Mallet. Or should I use the Peco or Walthers turntable kits.

But with these I have to cut out a hole in the base. Today I found  a turntable kit by Kibri, which is quite affordabel. So I will try these one first, and if it won't work I haven't spend

to much money.

Markus​

• Like 3

Must admit that looks like a hell of a dog-leg at the top of the loop... :O stock must run okay through it?

How do you fix the rails in place? Looks like quick progress. I've heard of Fast-tracks but not seen their turnout kits being made/ in use before; very interesting!

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Last week I purchased the IHC Packing Plant and Cannery kit on Ebay.

I was on search for them quite a while.

Last friday I was able to collect them from the post office.

DSCI3253.JPG

@F-UnitMad Sorry for the late answer. My locos run okay through the "dog leg". Regarding your other question.

I built the turnouts on my workbench, using the Fastrack turnout template. Then I placed the turnout Tiestrips on the layout and glued them in place.

After these is done I glued down the wooden ties. When the glue has dried. I put the turnouts on the turnout ties and cut the rails to length, then I glued them down.

After that I put in the spikes. Next I put a rail joiner on a Code 83 rail and pushed it on one of the turnout rails. Then I placed the rail on top of the ties and spiked the rail down

every 5th or 6th tie. When rail is spiked down the entire lenght I took a second rail and repeated the process parallel to the first rail, but these time I'm using some Microengineering

trackgauges so that the rails got the correct spacing.

Markus

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Since the last week I built the IHC kits. Only some little details are missing and the roofs are not glued in place, so that I could place some interior in the buildings at a later date.

DSCI3255.JPG

DSCI3256.JPG

DSCI3257.JPG

DSCI3258.JPG

Markus

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I started with the first bit of scenery on my G&D Sorethroat Branch.

I filled the area with some cardboard and then applied some earth and Woodland Scenic blended Turf.

The figures and the car are only temporary in place.

DSCI3259.JPG

DSCI3260.JPG

DSCI3262.JPG

Markus

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

​During my holiday I started to built a engine shed for my G&D Sorethroat branch. It is based on John Allens Gorre engineshed. The walls are made of 1mm balsa wood. The shingles for the roof are made from thin balsa wood strips, that I cut to length and glued them on 1mm card.

DSCI3421.JPG

DSCI3422.JPG

DSCI3423.JPG

​[iDSCI3424.JPG

DSCI3425.JPG

Markus​                                                    

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

On the engineshed roof, don't forget the pigeons and evidence thereof. I think John was one of the first to add such stuff to a contest entry.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

During the last few days I continued with my G&D engineshed.

For a long time I was not sure how to built the windows. Because I don't know if there is a comercial available product for the windows, I decided to scrathbuilt them.

I copied the windows from the drawings I have on a clear sheet, than I cut wooden profiles to length and stained them. Then I glued them on the windows.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMHZR4mP7dPr45onyDx3vuwqAK602gyVLuv-zd-7r97A3i9pVyHY6LMriUBu2DplQ/photo/AF1QipMX4N4SW-jdwhQ_-Idos8PNHEXiBhaWw-u456FA?key=WFRBSGNFTjA0TUFPcFBfbmM5WXM3RjdnOFFTTnVn

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMHZR4mP7dPr45onyDx3vuwqAK602gyVLuv-zd-7r97A3i9pVyHY6LMriUBu2DplQ/photo/AF1QipNKCboLpmsvZDiQ8CYhcdsXyY-Mv0YBImKLu12X?key=WFRBSGNFTjA0TUFPcFBfbmM5WXM3RjdnOFFTTnVn

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMHZR4mP7dPr45onyDx3vuwqAK602gyVLuv-zd-7r97A3i9pVyHY6LMriUBu2DplQ/photo/AF1QipNXQa8bJveOSOCa4i1V2G_VwNV0SDKlImynNLfV?key=WFRBSGNFTjA0TUFPcFBfbmM5WXM3RjdnOFFTTnVn

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMHZR4mP7dPr45onyDx3vuwqAK602gyVLuv-zd-7r97A3i9pVyHY6LMriUBu2DplQ/photo/AF1QipMIm7NJdaIDSgr2YXpzIyBb3OffPLKP1fNxVYya?key=WFRBSGNFTjA0TUFPcFBfbmM5WXM3RjdnOFFTTnVn

Markus

P.S. Can someone please help me, because Rmweb won't let me upload pictures from Google Photo

Edited by McRuss
  • Like 1