Oxford Road - 1980s/90s NSE

Rich Papper

• Tempfix

Good Evening All,

Just parked Oxford Road back underneath the home layout following an excellent weekend at the Dean Forest Model Railway Club show in Lydney. A really nice show, great people, well organised, fantastic food and surprisingly big. I got a chance to wander around on Sunday morning and just kept finding more rooms and more layouts. Well recommended for a visit. Oxford Road ran well, but I have started a list of little things I'd like to tweak if anyone wants to see it out again. Got a bit NSE happy even for me in the afternoon:

RM_OR74.JPG.d9d0832871d88084ce9d3f609b90674f.JPG

I don't think that's too much. Clearly space for another at the front there. A few new visitors too (this one really needs some weathering):

RM_OR73.JPG.44553246c6573fa77188657ff0e07df0.JPG

And the weekend ended with a very unexpected, and astonishingly heavy, award.

RM_OR75.JPG.6f59107864ef729c560e06b15224d755.JPG

Thank you to all involved, I had a great time.

Good end to a 100th post too.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Tempfix
7 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Excellent line up of Stock Rich, and a well deserved award.

Thanks Andy. It was a nice surprise - I didn't even know people were voting. Since the layout hasn't room to change that much, I try to have some new stock with each exhibition. Funnily enough I was just catching up with New Mills, or trying to - in the time it takes me to read a page two more have been added!

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Tempfix

Hello and Happy New Year All

Oxford Road is now booked for 5 shows this year, so about time for some new year's resolutions. I've always aimed at having at least one new item of stock each time it goes out so if someone has seen it before there's something new as the layout itself doesn't have much scope to change (I know one doesn't sound much but it isn't that big!). Given that it's has averaged about one show every 18 months that hasn't been too hard a target, but this year could be a bit of a challenge so I'm going to focus on all those niggly little jobs that I never get around to. Things like fitting the extra detail bits to one of the Dapol 73s, finding and re-attaching all the buffer steps to the Hornby 50s, dealing with some of the lighting gremlins etc. I do hope to have a few new bits too. I'm currently making a big plastic mess that might turn into a 119 over on the workbench thread.

If anyone would like to see Oxford Road, current bookings are:

• Monmouth - 16th February
  • Cheltenham - 4th & 5th April
  • Ludlow - 2nd May
  • RailexNE - 18th & 19th July
  • Taunton - 24th & 25th October

Please do say hello. I think my son is only 'helping' with one of them so I might get a word in edgeways.

Rich

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • Tempfix

Definitely. Been on order for a while now, hopefully see them in the first half of this year. Not sure what they'll turn out like -there seems to have been several changes in shade of blue, unit number and route badge since they first appeared in the catalogue. I've been resisting the Dapol 121 until I see the Bachmann, not sure about the half depth interior, although the price seems to be dropping.

Rich

• Like 2

• Tempfix

All piled up ready to head off to Monmouth in the morning (flood levels permitting!). Good luck to anyone who lives on a floodplain tonight.

RMOR80.JPG.e4ba93abf5d9d008132fcb87ef22dc73.JPG

Slightly nervous that one of the tools and bits boxes has an unusual amount of space in it. Could just be that I packed the other one better than usual but...

Rich

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• Tempfix

Good Evening All

A good day at the Monmouth Show today although for obvious reasons visitor numbers a bit thin on the ground. Still raining, but OR safely back inside.

RM_OR70.JPG.7199c18f791af3f15efad40cf0181f6f.JPG

RM_OR71.JPG.cf1116c652827081628338da00948123.JPG

Had some good chats on all things DMU. Was quiet enough that I even ended up testing someone's newly bought second-hand locos. Layout performed well despite extremely uneven floor.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 19:25, Rich Papper said:

Good Evening All

A good day at the Monmouth Show today although for obvious reasons visitor numbers a bit thin on the ground. Still raining, but OR safely back inside.

RMOR81.JPG.20d83f4904f2044e29da7f54fb9b954f.JPG

RMOR82.JPG.f6f8ab5fb7bdc606c736c02d37d37577.JPG

Had some good chats on all things DMU. Was quiet enough that I even ended up testing someone's newly bought second-hand locos. Layout performed well despite extremely uneven floor.

Rich

Very nice stock Rich and all the detailing on your depot too..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • Tempfix

Two years later!

A recent very uncomfortable spell of isolation has seen Oxford Road dug out for some fettling. Partly in preparation for some potential shows later this year, partly as a diversion for locked in children climbing the walls at home. 

After solving a few electrical gremlins with the tube, attention turned to some physical repairs to the upper level. Glue and clamps required. Unfortunately after the last show the section of walling pictured below with the weights on it had worked loose and dropped when the layout was on it's end, taking out a lamp post and the platform starter signal. Both have been reinstalled and seem none the worse for the experience - nothing a touch of paint won't cure.

RMOR80.jpg.fa296162b02cb87c7a20bfe00dbc9950.jpg

RMOR81.jpg.31aae3f6ead8c247de7753c35a8f17e9.jpg

Plans are also afoot for a rebuild / replacement of Oxford Road. Open to any and all suggestions on this - particularly from anyone who knows how to make a tube train stop in the platform. Main priority has to be significantly lighter and more resilient baseboards.

Hopefully more soon.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Tempfix

Hello

A little running this evening. 

First sighting of a class 119 on Oxford Road. 

RMOR82.jpg.56e846990f05b1de0afca13a38217058.jpg

MLV in the loop waiting for something else to pass.

RMOR83.jpg.0e855e1224db1cc8951c5de5c1c15c9c.jpg

Tube arriving (or departing? Can't remember which hand running on the Bakerloo). Controller for this fixed anway.

RMOR84.jpg.0e54c8b77923e516f12dc01b58f29826.jpg

Night on the depot. Quite a strong freight presence tonight.

RMOR86.jpg.db2c7d9387c364ea578e336c3ae1da5d.jpg

Looks tidier in the dark.

Stay safe.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
  • Like 17

• 2 months later...
  • Tempfix

Good Afternoon All,

A bit of an outage, but good to be back on here. Had a very nice weekend at the Cheltenham show last weekend, ably assisted by my 6 year old son for the first time as a full time operator. Pretty sure everyone there knew him by name within an hour of setting up on the Saturday, but he loved it and OR performed relatively well save for a few controller gremlins I need to investigate.

128 on shed.

RMOR89.jpg.06c2898e5d22a4a15b5222f685d1f84f.jpg

Test car 6 was finished in time.

RMOR90.jpg.34fa31ad83b8e217b9437f335e68885d.jpg

119 ran very well all weekend.

RMOR92.jpg.14ef22deee5666e6725c66cb53e4656e.jpg

And with great relief the return of 50007 following an extended period in many bits.

RMOR91.jpg.5bd5715ee06980eeeb56d8b897ee35bd.jpg

Great weekend all round and some thoroughly decent people to chat to. Ludlow next.

Still thinking through the rebuild every time I try and lift it.

Stay safe.

Rich

• Like 13

• 4 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

A great day yesterday at the Craven Arms and District show in Ludlow - even a if I did underestimate the time it would take to negotiate the road from Worcester. A fantastic and surprisingly busy show. Had lots of great conversations with people there and did get a brief look around myself. Only had one fault with the layout - walkabout controller on the Underground failed. Have had it apart and tested everything but still dead so might have to invest in a new one.

Junior operator did very well again, despite whipping out a Hornby 0-4-0 tank engine to shunt every time my back was turned!

RMOR93.jpg.28ca346f747d1b4686d6b705aa14a58e.jpg

Rich

• Like 14

• 5 months later...