I have been buying Tri-ang and its successor's catalogues since 1957. I missed out the 2014 catalogue due to delays in production of items carried over from 2013 and I did not think any new items would be produced in 2014. I think the 2015 catalogue is one of the best with lovely scenes on pages 2,3, 26 and 27. Besides showing what is new it also shows what has been omitted. It is clear that there is a lack of coaches for pre-nationalisation locomotives. I am pleased to see that the R047 green on off lever switch is still with us from the 1950s.

post-17621-0-69911300-1421402192_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I have been buying Tri-ang and its successor's catalogues since 1957. I missed out the 2014 catalogue due to delays in production of items carried over from 2013 and I did not think any new items would be produced in 2014. I think the 2015 catalogue is one of the best with lovely scenes on pages 2,3, 26 and 27. Besides showing what is new it also shows what has been omitted. It is clear that there is a lack of coaches for pre-nationalisation locomotives. I am pleased to see that the R047 green on off lever switch is still with us from the 1950s.

Now  I definately  want  one,  I  meant  to  add one  to  my  Hattons  order  which was delivered  today  but  forgot!!

Thank you for the R number. I will now be able to search the internet to see who is selling one. If I had not bought the catalogue I would not have been aware that Hornby had stopped making the M7, the LMS brake van and the pre-nationalisation corridor coaches except the Railroad range. It also shows the cab interior of the 700 and lets me know that the 700 will have a diecast boiler and sprung buffers. It puts a lot of information together that I might not easily find on the internet.

It also show rivals like Oxfordrail where there are gaps in the Hornby range particularly in rolling stock and accurate remote controlled semaphore signals.

• RMweb Premium

I had a quick look inside the new catalogue in the Waterloo Ian Allan, and have to admit to the usual disappointment. I understand the completist's urge to buy it year on year, but it really is repetitive, unimaginative, and grossly over-priced. Anyone wanting a print list of the 2015 offerings need look no further than this month's Hornby Magazine supplement. Better photos too.

• Like 2

As is the case with every year, a lot of work goes into it and it is a very professional publication, that is always looked forward to with anticipation. But I think the format has now run its course, and I would certainly like to see something different for 2016. I hope this is the end of the line for the side on, orthographic images. The do provide uniformity throughout the catalogues, but 3/4 perspective will always show the models (or CAD renders) in a much nicer way.

• Like 1

The Hornby Product Guide provides the recommended retail prices of the new products which the catalogue does not. Hornby have stopped issuing price lists because the price may fluctuate during the year. The illustrations of the prototypes of the S15, J50, King and Radial are much better in the product guide. Despite this I find the catalogue useful to find out which items have been dropped from the range. For instance I would not have been aware that Hornby had stopped producing the M7 and the pre-nationalisation corridor coaches if I had not bought the catalogue

Does it state in the catalogue what coaches are (correct) suitable for behind it's Grange, Hall, Star, Castle and King please.

Online it says: "Suitable rolling stock: GWR rolling stock of the period." for the King (R3330 - KGV, with double chimney*), so I'd be surprised to see it different in the printed material.

* which made me smile since KGV never received a double chimney in GWR days. One wonders "what period?" but I'm much less offended by "rolling stock of the period" than something misleading.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Does it state in the catalogue what coaches are (correct) suitable for behind it's Grange, Hall, Star, Castle and King please.

As I've stated elsewhere, I believe Hornby recommend a rake of these:

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/new-for-2015/railroad/gwr-4-wheel-coach.html

I've currently got 15 on order to hang behind my castle for the Paddington to Temple Meads express.

Given the lack of a brake vehicle, I'm not sure what the operating department will have to say about it though.

Cheers, 

CoY